PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting ill and want to vent!

Envy Lawn Service
10-23-2002, 01:08 AM
I just want to say that I'm glad I started shopping 6 months before I'll be ready to purchase a new mower. Athough it's been somewhat enjoyable learning about all the different machines, I'm starting to get ill with this whole process.

I guess 1st of all I'm down right jealous of you guys on here that have all kinds of local acess to great equipment. It looks to me like it is going to take me 6 months to locate and check out all the ones I want to see.

So far I've demoed an Exmark, and test drove Ferris, Grasshopper and Yazoo/Kees. I also "looked" at a Walker and at that price, I was afraid to do much else! I think the Grasshopper is really what's got me set off right now. I've been waiting weeks to see the new 218 mid-mount. The 1st one they got sold the day it arrived. The second shipment did too. Now a third is scheduled to arrive later this week. One of those has already been paid for and the dealer told me I was the 3rd person to come by and ask about the 218 this week. These things must really be something or my luck must be really bad.

I still haven't seen Dixie Chopper, Scag or Hustler either! I also want to see the Wright Sentar. But I'm told it will be Nov-Dec before one arrives.

Thanks for listening to me vent! I must sound like a big crybaby!!! :cry: :blush:

richard coffman
10-23-2002, 02:17 AM
well, it all depends on what you offer your customers as far as services and the property's you service. I've ran just about all the equipment you mentioned here except for the hustler brand.

the walker is a good mower for residential or commercial, handles the grass like a pro, but the speed of the machine is something to be desired.I'd suggest a speed up kit and get the automatic grass dump kit where it dumps into you vehicles bed instead of dumping the cut grass and scooping it up in a 33 gallon rubberized can like i have for a long time. I won't do that again.

the exmark 52" rider with the ultravac system is a great mower and an great bagging system. it's my #1 choice and I'd do it again. it's fast and not much maintenance needed. I'd use the mobile 1 oil they reccomend, i'm sure it's part of the mowers low maintenance.

The yazoo kees 61" z is allmost the same mower as the exmark( there made in the same manufacturing plant) but run's a tad slower and more likely to tear up a lawn with obsticals, but great for field mowing. there's a lot more maintenance that's needed for this machine and it's more likely to break down than the exmark z. the clutch has been a problem, I'd pass this machine up(my opinion).

I'd stay away from the exmark explorer, it's simular to the walker, but tall ,faster, not so stable, and it'l bounce you around to death. the level of noize from the machine is more than what my ears can bear.the control's are too sensitive and will buck ya like a bronkin bull if your not careful. it bucked me so hard one time that the seat back rest broke off, no joke.
I'm sure I've said enough, hope this helpful info helpes to relieve some of your stress.

Richard Coffman/Owner:D

TurfPro
10-23-2002, 07:23 AM
What kind of equipment are you using now?
What are your likes /dislikes about what you have now,,,if you remind yourself of these things it'll help you in your desision making process.
,,,,,,,,,,,that may help

RMDoyon
10-23-2002, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by richard coffman

The yazoo kees 61" z is allmost the same mower as the exmark( there made in the same manufacturing plant)

I'd stay away from the exmark explorer, it's simular to the walker, but tall ,faster, not so stable, and it'l bounce you around to death.

Richard Coffman/Owner:D

Yazoo/Kees is owned by Husqvarna, not eXmark. However, I understand the founder of Kees sold out to Yazoo and founded eXmark down the road from the Yazoo/Kees plant in the same town.

He should not fear buying an Explorer as this model was discontinued some years ago.

mowngrow
10-23-2002, 03:10 PM
sounds like its time for a road trip. take a trip and play with the toys you want to try but consider dealer support its a must.

Piedmont Lawn
10-23-2002, 06:10 PM
Hi ELS,

The new Gravelys will be out November 1st, don't know if there will be much of a change on the ztm but the wb mower has new hand controls. They said on their forum here just before they pulled the plug on it the new pic's will be up at www.gravely.com Nov. 1st.

I'm very happy with my 260Z compaired to the old riding mower I was using. The only other 2 I looked at was the eXmark and Toro and the price the Shubert's gave me I couldn't turn it down. I just like the Gravely better not knocking the others but price/location and a little word of mouth in my area sold me.

Where are you looking at the Hopper's, Gene had one or two the last time I was over at Mtn. View don't know what model they were.

Kelly

Flex-Deck
10-23-2002, 06:43 PM
Envy - they are right - take a road trip and buy the one that fits you - there are a lot of good machines out there - PS hope you get to try a Dixie Chopper on that road trip - they have the flex-deck available now on a 60" deck = 78" total cut. (30 or 31 HP engine) should mow big areas, as well as trim small areas. Understand it is under $10,000 for the 78" ZTR.

Thanks, Bradhttp://Dixie

Envy Lawn Service
11-04-2002, 02:33 AM
An Update...

Scag has been removed from my list now. The local dealer network sucks. I drove quite a distance toa dealer only to find he had no stock. He informed me I'd have to travel farther if I wanted to "see" any models. Enough of that! I already went farther than I wanted to.

Dixie Chopper is a goner too. Pretty much the same deal with them as with the Scag.

I went by and test drove a Gravely. It's a very smooth machine.

As far as the Grasshopper 218....I'm still waiting for my demo. They only got one in on the last shipment and it went to the guy who had pre-paid for his. The dealer called and left a message the day after I went by and found that out. I'll call him tomorrow and see if he ended up getting one in. I'm SERIOUSLY thinking of asking the dealer if he would contact some of the people who bought one to see if they minded meeting me and showing off their machine. Well see.

As for Hustler, I'm still going to have to travel to check them out. I did find out one of the locals is a Landpride dealer which is the same as Hustler. But, he has no stock either. Now I'm just wandering if I bought a Hustler far away from home if I could take it to the local guy for service??? Hummmm??? I might just be better off to have the local order me the same thing in a Landpride if I like one of the Hustlers.

Envy Lawn Service
11-04-2002, 02:34 AM
Hey Flex-Deck!!!

Didn't you tell me that there is a Flex-Deck for a 48" John Deere lawn tractor??? How much cut would it add???

Tony Harrell
11-04-2002, 05:34 AM
Where in NC do you live?

The Mowerdude
11-04-2002, 07:41 AM
Envy

If you're going to do all that driving around anyway, why not drive over to Nashville for the GIE? Then you'll get to see everything under one roof and you'll get to demo everything as well. Instead of meeting dealers, you'll get to meet the reps. These are the guys that'll stick up for you if a dealer is rude or ignores you.

And it's a tax write-off.

Tvov
11-04-2002, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service
An Update...

As far as the Grasshopper 218....I'm still waiting for my demo. They only got one in on the last shipment and it went to the guy who had pre-paid for his. The dealer called and left a message the day after I went by and found that out. I'll call him tomorrow and see if he ended up getting one in. I'm SERIOUSLY thinking of asking the dealer if he would contact some of the people who bought one to see if they minded meeting me and showing off their machine. Well see.

That's a great idea. When I get new equipment, I am usually eager to show it off. Also, you may learn more about the equipment than the dealer knows or wants to tell you. Go ahead and ask!

Swampbeast
11-04-2002, 09:41 AM
Taking SCAG off huh? Thats to bad. Your really missing out. But if you cant get a SCAG, I would go with a Exmark. Yeah, you ought to go to the Green Industry Expo in Nashville Tennesee, I think its November 17th. I would be going, but family matters cropped up, so I cant go. :( :cry:

Oh well.

:cool:

Envy Lawn Service
11-04-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Tony Harrell
Where in NC do you live?

Are you familiar with HWY 268? I think it ends over near your way. Well anyways I live and work all the way over at the west end of HWY 268. So you're sorta on one end while I am on the other ;)

I've been wanting to get over your way to check out a dealer. But I've put it on the back burner for a while now. Honestly I can't even remember what brand he sells now :blush: But I'll dig it up and see what you know about them.

As far as the Expo goes, what are the costs to go over and attend the product field day or whatever it is people have been talking about? I'd like to go for sure. But I'm not certain I'll have the time to spare if it's any time soon. These sweet fall rains and the leaves have me rocking and rolling! I should really be working right now! :blush:

tvov,

You'll never believe what happened! The guy who bought the last Grasshopper 218 that came in dropped by the dealership after I dropped by last, bragging on how much he liked his mower. The dealer called me a few minutes ago to tell me that the guy would be more than glad to let us come by and play with his new toy! I will take him up on his offer the 1st time our schedules will allow it. This guy bought it because he couldn't even mow the hills around his own house with his other equipment.

I'm ready to go put that thing to the test on some of those hills!

Tony Harrell
11-05-2002, 04:49 AM
What I meant was, what's the name of the town you live in.?

Envy Lawn Service
11-05-2002, 11:25 AM
I'm "from"Patterson and do some work there. Thats why I used HWY 268 as a marker. But now I actually live in a little town south of there called Sawmills.