PDA

View Full Version : new to me trailer

Mjben08
07-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Found it craigslist, it was a steal! by the time i bought it it had been online 2hrs! Its a 6.5 x 16ft tandem axle trailer brakes on one axle. lock box on front. rear gate and side gate.

Hopefully new paint this weekend. Also mount racks

What do yall think?

mnglocker
07-16-2011, 12:05 PM
It's only a steal if you need it.

Mjben08
07-16-2011, 12:06 PM
It was more of a wont

bobcat48
07-16-2011, 12:09 PM
Nice trailer.

monoshock
07-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Neat, it has a basketball goal to.
How many doll-hairs did you get it for.

DaveWB
07-16-2011, 12:13 PM
If you paid more than 1100 I dont think it was a steal.

Mjben08
07-16-2011, 12:14 PM
I got it for $900

mnglocker
07-16-2011, 12:15 PM
How are the tires?

Bearings?

Wiring?

Mjben08
07-16-2011, 12:18 PM
3 tires are great one not so good ill replace at the end of the season. bearings are new. wiring good alil to short, need to extend them.

DaveWB
07-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Thats what I paid for mine, but mine doesn't have the side gate or front box so you definitely got a steal.

JDiepstra
07-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Once you paint it and do something about those rims, it will be sweet.

SNAPPER MAN
07-16-2011, 02:42 PM
Don't waste your money cleaning it up. It's just a Damn trailer. Beat it to hell and have it work for you. I'd leave it alone. Pretty rims and paint won't make you anymore money.
Posted via Mobile Device

JDiepstra
07-16-2011, 06:13 PM
Don't waste your money cleaning it up. It's just a Damn trailer. Beat it to hell and have it work for you. I'd leave it alone. Pretty rims and paint won't make you anymore money.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah shoot, good point. Why would you want to represent your business with nice looking equipment rather than crappy looking equipemn? Pffffft. Are you serious man? Terrible post.

KrayzKajun
07-16-2011, 06:16 PM
Nice buy. I have one almost identical to tht
Posted via Mobile Device

FinerCutslawnCare
07-16-2011, 06:20 PM
Congrats on the purchase. Paint it up and call her good.

SNAPPER MAN
07-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Yeah shoot, good point. Why would you want to represent your business with nice looking equipment rather than crappy looking equipemn? Pffffft. Are you serious man? Terrible post.

Yes I am 100% serious. Too many guys on here care too much about how their equipment looks and always having something shiny and new. Hate to break it to you but 95% of customers do not care what your rig looks like because they are usually not home when you go to mow. Someone is not going to pay you $50 a cut instead of $40 a cut just because you have a shiny truck and trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device

monoshock
07-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Yes I am 100% serious. Too many guys on here care too much about how their equipment looks and always having something shiny and new. Hate to break it to you but 95% of customers do not care what your rig looks like because they are usually not home when you go to mow. Someone is not going to pay you $50 a cut instead of $40 a cut just because you have a shiny truck and trailer.
Posted via Mobile DeviceAgreed,but I think the present of more like 99.99%.

SNAPPER MAN
07-16-2011, 07:43 PM
Agreed,but I think the present of more like 99.99%.

Haha very true!
Posted via Mobile Device

JDiepstra
07-16-2011, 08:53 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Im not saying you can collect more money per mow but I guess you are not familiar with the term "brand". Why do you think people like Target better than Walmart? Because they have branded themselves better. The stores are cleaner, brighter, etc. You obviously aren't a professional if you dont understand that a clean trailer looks more professional than one that is rusting out. I bet you mow in tennis shoes :laugh:

Chevy z71
07-16-2011, 10:40 PM
Im not saying you can collect more money per mow but I guess you are not familiar with the term "brand". Why do you think people like Target better than Walmart? Because they have branded themselves better. The stores are cleaner, brighter, etc. You obviously aren't a professional if you dont understand that a clean trailer looks more professional than one that is rusting out. I bet you mow in tennis shoes :laugh:

I think its about clean and nice stuff.

SNAPPER MAN
07-16-2011, 11:41 PM

Haha I actually have a very nice rig because most of my stuff isn't that old. But I'm not going to spend a ton of money on image. And just FYI Walmart makes a lot more $$ than Target. I actually mow in sperrys just so you know.
Posted via Mobile Device

soloscaperman
07-16-2011, 11:49 PM
Snapper man is right, I should stop washing my truck, hey I should stop taking showers and stop shaving because my customer's don't care.

PlantscapeSolutions
07-17-2011, 12:04 AM
Put some silver mod wheels on it with new paint and it will look really professional. I had one trailer that came with the same POS junkyard wheels and the first thing I did was get rid of them. The tires appear to be cheap car tires so you'll want to save up $500 for a set of good Carlisle trailer tires that are rated for 65 psi. I would also save up for a second set of brakes. You don't have brakes on half of your truck and you don't want brakes on half of your trailer either. If you ever have to replace the expanded metal on the ramp it would be a good idea to weld in some additional square stock uprights. The spacings are a bit wide and sagging or an eventual blowout will happen with even a 36" mower. All six trailer I've owned I bought new but I still modded all of them because there is always room for improvement. Good Luck.

mowerbrad
07-17-2011, 12:29 AM
Some paint should really spruce that trailer up! Make sure all the floor boards are in good shape and a little extra elbow grease to make sure everything is just how you like it, and you'll be good to go. It will definately be a sharp looking trailer.

While some may not think that customers take notice of your equipment, I have found it to be the exact opposite. My customers notice things like different mowers, truck and trailers. When I had my old bob-cat mower, I didn't get many compliments on it, it was just a mower. But with my newer Deere, I had almost every customer say something about how nice it always looks when I'm mowing.

You'd be amazed as to what customers actually pick up on, even when they don't say anything to you about it. I for one, feel much better when someone working at my house has decent looking equipment (doesn't have to be new, just clean and presentable)

Snyder's Lawn Inc
07-17-2011, 03:00 AM
I bought my 22' GN trailer off craigslist Sales for 4,000 I bought mine 1800 only year old
The guy was getting a divorce selling all his toys before wife got them The trailer was less then year old only pulled 12 times

WPS85
07-17-2011, 09:46 AM
Found it craigslist, it was a steal! by the time i bought it it had been online 2hrs! Its a 6.5 x 16ft tandem axle trailer brakes on one axle. lock box on front. rear gate and side gate.

Hopefully new paint this weekend. Also mount racks

What do yall think?
Nice find! The side load gate is nice to have on trailers, and it's nice to have a box on the front to lock up some of your tools.

I would give it a nice paint job, new lights and get rid of the low profile tires.

That will make you a nice trailer!

WPS85
07-17-2011, 10:51 AM
While some may not think that customers take notice of your equipment, I have found it to be the exact opposite. My customers notice things like different mowers, truck and trailers. When I had my old bob-cat mower, I didn't get many compliments on it, it was just a mower. But with my newer Deere, I had almost every customer say something about how nice it always looks when I'm mowing.

You'd be amazed as to what customers actually pick up on, even when they don't say anything to you about it. I for one, feel much better when someone working at my house has decent looking equipment (doesn't have to be new, just clean and presentable)
I agree with MowerBrad.

My customers notice my equipment and comment about it all the time. . I like to take care of my equipment and keep it clean. I pressure wash all my equipment once a week on Sundays.

That also includes my 3 trailers. . If I don't take care of my trailers then I wouldn't have a way to haul equipment out to work. A trailer is an important part of a business. . Same for my trucks, they're cleaned once a week!

Having clean equipment makes your business look so much better and shows the customer that you take care of it.

i cut with ferris
07-17-2011, 12:07 PM
I agree with MowerBrad.

My customers notice my equipment and comment about it all the time. . I like to take care of my equipment and keep it clean. I pressure wash all my equipment once a week on Sundays.

That also includes my 3 trailers. . If I don't take care of my trailers then I wouldn't have a way to haul equipment out to work. A trailer is an important part of a business. . Same for my trucks, they're cleaned once a week!

Having clean equipment makes your business look so much better and shows the customer that you take care of it.

i agree. i try to keep my stuff looking a nice as i can. they dont like it when you show up with stuff that looks like you got it out of the junk yard. beside whats the paint going to cost you about a 100 if you get one lawn out of it it payed for its self.

mnglocker
07-17-2011, 01:10 PM
i agree. i try to keep my stuff looking a nice as i can. they dont like it when you show up with stuff that looks like you got it out of the junk yard. beside whats the paint going to cost you about a 100 if you get one lawn out of it it payed for its self.

A $25 gallon of black rustolium will do the trick, some fresh deck boards if need be, (I'd use the nice cedar dyed pressure treated stuff. Paint it while you have the decking up, that way you can grind off all rust and get everything sealed up with paint. And a set of fresh steel painted or chrome mod wheels.

StihlMechanic
07-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Here where I am at, $900 is a super good deal. New Paint alone would bring it value to $2000-$2500 all day long. Good find!

XLS
07-17-2011, 01:56 PM
you can find them way less then 900 here i got a 18' back 4 years ago for 450.00 and replaced the floor and the pigtail . The gate is a 300.00 add on at best and i love you guys trying to BRAND YOURSELVES with a regular trailer lmao nice try but just becasue its painted new does not make a brand at all . ever notice the pallets at a warehouse store is painted nice ............. its not to brand the pallet lol but both your trailer and that pallet is doing the same job delivering items to a location for people to see,while providing a good or service.
I like how you believe new stuff makes your clents feel your better selection then the other guy , when to most clients new stuff really means "they must be expensive to have all that new stuff..... just paint or not stuff that looks older but nice sells way more jobs then new and flashy . unless your rig is older looking but carries a new rig price then you will get nowhere . lol

THIESSENS TLC
07-17-2011, 02:06 PM

I agree, gotta look good....people go by looks nowadays! If it looks good, they want it! think about it....

Tyler's Lawn Maintenance
07-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Personally, my first mod would be replacing the tires and wheels. Find some nice steel trailer wheels and a set of tires and a fresh coat of paint and she'll be good! I can't tell, but is the ramp a split ramp?

JDiepstra
07-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Haha I actually have a very nice rig because most of my stuff isn't that old. But I'm not going to spend a ton of money on image. And just FYI Walmart makes a lot more $$ than Target. I actually mow in sperrys just so you know.
Posted via Mobile Device

:laugh: Have you checked the stock prices? Target shares are worth far more than Walmarts. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Mjben08
07-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Personally, my first mod would be replacing the tires and wheels. Find some nice steel trailer wheels and a set of tires and a fresh coat of paint and she'll be good! I can't tell, but is the ramp a split ramp?

Thanks for all the compliments guys. Ill get some more pics up after i paint her! Tyler its not a split gate its solid.

mowerbrad
07-17-2011, 11:06 PM
you can find them way less then 900 here i got a 18' back 4 years ago for 450.00 and replaced the floor and the pigtail . The gate is a 300.00 add on at best and i love you guys trying to BRAND YOURSELVES with a regular trailer lmao nice try but just becasue its painted new does not make a brand at all . ever notice the pallets at a warehouse store is painted nice ............. its not to brand the pallet lol but both your trailer and that pallet is doing the same job delivering items to a location for people to see,while providing a good or service.
I like how you believe new stuff makes your clents feel your better selection then the other guy , when to most clients new stuff really means "they must be expensive to have all that new stuff..... just paint or not stuff that looks older but nice sells way more jobs then new and flashy . unless your rig is older looking but carries a new rig price then you will get nowhere . lol

I think you are misunderstanding the whole point that many of us were making. When we started talking about how having nicer equipment makes the customer "feel better", I'm pretty sure we were not talking about NEW equipment, just well taken care of equipment.

I spend $13000 on a lawn mower and by god, that lawn mower is going to look nice for as long as I keep it. If a customer sees that I take good care of my equipment and take pride in it, then they will associate that with how I will take good care of their lawn and make sure it is always looking nice.

It has absolutely nothing to do with having brand new equipment, its just a matter of having nice looking equipment. I don't care if you have a mower from 2004 or 2011, it always makes you (as a company and person) look that much better than your competitors when you have nice looking equipment and stuff that isn't abused.

soloscaperman
07-18-2011, 12:12 AM
I think you are misunderstanding the whole point that many of us were making. When we started talking about how having nicer equipment makes the customer "feel better", I'm pretty sure we were not talking about NEW equipment, just well taken care of equipment.

I spend $13000 on a lawn mower and by god, that lawn mower is going to look nice for as long as I keep it. If a customer sees that I take good care of my equipment and take pride in it, then they will associate that with how I will take good care of their lawn and make sure it is always looking nice.

It has absolutely nothing to do with having brand new equipment, its just a matter of having nice looking equipment. I don't care if you have a mower from 2004 or 2011, it always makes you (as a company and person) look that much better than your competitors when you have nice looking equipment and stuff that isn't abused.

So agree on the second paragraph. I get so many compliments from people at gas stations and I guess they use that to break the ice and I end up having them as customer's. Some people are observant and know that if you take care of your stuff and your self your not a slob. Ever since I keep my stuff clean all the local LCo's and even friends wash there stuff all the time. I am talking about guys that wash there stuff once a year and know they even clean there rims like I do every week lol. I have a customer that is a builder and know cleans his truck because of me. He realized this when he parked his F350 near my truck and admitted he has been lazy to keep his truck clean so now he cleans it weekly like me.

Oakleaf landscape
07-18-2011, 10:28 AM
:laugh: Have you checked the stock prices? Target shares are worth far more than Walmarts. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Buddy stock prices don't mean ****... Stocks split all the time.

orlawncaresvc
07-18-2011, 05:19 PM
It's you trailer. You should do what you want to it. You got it at a good price and if you can afford to put some extra into it then do it.
Posted via Mobile Device

soloscaperman
07-18-2011, 06:39 PM
In CT, if you paint that you can easily sell it for $2K

THEGOLDPRO
07-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

This is one of the dumbest posts i have read in a long time.

When i first started out landscaping the guy i worked for said "The more professional your company looks the more people expect to pay you"

I believe that to be true.if you show up with a Clean truck,Clean trailer,Nice equipment,Professional Image, people expect to pay you more then the weekend warrior hack running around with the walkbehind in the back of his s10 pickup.

Mjben08
07-23-2011, 02:49 AM
I replaced the rims....and the tires,not by choice. The original owner had car tires on it...not made for what i had on it when they went out. So bit the bullet and bought all new tires 8 ply and newer style rims.
Before pic....had two tires do this.
After pic....all new tires and rims
All ive got to do now is paint!

Mjben08
07-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Painted it today not my fav color but already had a can

PlantscapeSolutions
07-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Put some silver mod wheels on it with new paint and it will look really professional. I had one trailer that came with the same POS junkyard wheels and the first thing I did was get rid of them. The tires appear to be cheap car tires so you'll want to save up $500 for a set of good Carlisle trailer tires that are rated for 65 psi. I would also save up for a second set of brakes. You don't have brakes on half of your truck and you don't want brakes on half of your trailer either. If you ever have to replace the expanded metal on the ramp it would be a good idea to weld in some additional square stock uprights. The spacings are a bit wide and sagging or an eventual blowout will happen with even a 36" mower. All six trailer I've owned I bought new but I still modded all of them because there is always room for improvement. Good Luck.

Part of my post came true! You ditched the crap tires and Sanford & Son wheels. Looks much better. How much did the tires and wheels set you back? It wouldn't be hard to spend $500 on tires and $150 on silver mod wheels.

Mjben08
07-29-2011, 06:03 PM
Part of my post came true! You ditched the crap tires and Sanford & Son wheels. Looks much better. How much did the tires and wheels set you back? It wouldn't be hard to spend $500 on tires and $150 on silver mod wheels.

The tire and wheels together only cost $525 and lights $25 so I've only got $1500 in it
Posted via Mobile Device

THEGOLDPRO
07-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Go buy this paint and paint the entire trailer with it, i painted 2 of my trailer with it and its mint, anytime you get a nick or scratch you just grab the can and touch it up.
http://www.rfroyce.com/f8_truss_tube_newt/rustoleum.jpg

XLS
07-31-2011, 10:19 AM
it dont really look any better to me. I unerstand new rubber but why not just sand and paint the original rims if they all matched,if not my bad.

for the color you had a can laying around......so you bought 5 more????? . It looks like brickman is using open trailers to me .
I am giving you a hard time the trailer needed a paint job and it will serve its purpose congrats lets see it loaded up now
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
07-31-2011, 11:49 AM

My advice on lights is to never buy traditional lights again. LED is the way to go because they are twice as bright and last forever. The only catch to LED's is they must have a very good ground contact. If you ever have a problem with LED's it's almost always because your trailer ball is dirty and not grounding or an actual ground on the trailer needs to be cleaned.

stuffdeer
07-31-2011, 06:09 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

That grill guard on the front of your truck isn't making you any money either.
It might SAVE you money when you hit something, but it doesn't, and never will make you money.

60% of my customers comment on what my set up looks like. They notice a new mower from an old, they notice a new truck from an old. Maybe in different markets, it means more, of even the relationship level you have with your customers. I've also had 15% percent of my customers hire me because of what I've pulled up in, how I was dressed, etc.

So no, you are wrong. Speak for your business, not others.

BradLewisLawnCare
07-31-2011, 06:25 PM

Walmart has a cheaper p/e ratio and offers a higher dividend. so..... that means that they cost less to own the same amount of earnings and you get higher dividend payback. basically if you spend 1000 on there stock walmart with earn you more money and give you back more dividend. just saying

BradLewisLawnCare
07-31-2011, 06:38 PM
edit : basically if you spend 1000 on their stock walmart will earn you more money and give you back more dividend. just saying