PDA

View Full Version : skidsteer vs. Kubota tractor

dmk395
10-23-2002, 09:23 AM
What's the better overall tool for landscaping or even excavating? An excavator I know who has been in business for quite some time would take a Kubota any day for preparing a lot for sod etc...he doesn't like the skidsteers..any other thoughts...I know I am gonna have to cross this bridge someday with an equipment purchase

dan deutekom
10-23-2002, 02:07 PM
I think it depends on the type of work you do. I like the skidsteer for general loading and moving soil in tight places and I find I can grade much better in a skidsteer. I also like skidsteers for excavation work if the digout is at least as wide as the bucket. I would rather use the Kubota if damaging sod is a concern or it you have to work in muddy slop. I find tractors don't load as fast and they are not nearly as maneuvarable. But if a tractor is equipped with a hoe it can do things skidsteers can't. I use a skidsteer more than a tractor but I rent a tractor when the skidsteer won't do

MacLawnCo
10-23-2002, 02:29 PM
dont forget that you can get implements for the rear of the tractor like an aevator.

Ssouth
10-23-2002, 08:30 PM
I have used both and now own a Kubota 4610. The only reason I see a skid steer being better is because it can fit into smaller spaces. Our tractor has a hydrostat transmission so it's very easy to operate. I think you would be better off with the tractor. The only attatchments we have are a front end loader, 6' box blade, and 6' bushhog. We are looking for a 6' tiller. This tractor has made our lives sooooo much easier. It is very versital (sp). The only problem with it is that we can't take it into any nice lawns due to the aggresive tires, but we do have lots of 2" *12" lumber so we can haul materials in straight lines onto a lawn. For the cost I think most people can get more use out of a tractor than a skid steer.

Just my opinion.

If you have any questions about this tractor you can e-mail me at Ssouth11@bellsouth.net

paul
10-23-2002, 09:08 PM
I can't do with out both, tractor or skid loader, but if I had one to pick out that would be a skid loader. A tractor can't dig like a skid loader or maneuver in tight places. You can't beat a tractor for fine grading large areas, plus with a harley or landpride power rake they will out fine grade a skid steer with the same attachment. So you have to look at what you want to do and the type of work that you do then make the best choice for your jobs.

dmk395
10-23-2002, 09:26 PM
Never an easy choice! lol

dan deutekom
10-24-2002, 08:44 PM
Paul:

I find I can fine grade better with a skidsteer but I have a lot more seat time in a skidsteer than a tractor. I think it really depends on the operator and the job.

kris
10-24-2002, 10:44 PM
We have both ....We use the Kubota with hoe for the reasons Dan stated. Our Bobcats are used much more.
If I had to pick one over the other I would KEEP the skidsteer.

DaddyRabbit
10-25-2002, 07:57 AM
Go w/whatever feels best to you physically and in the wallet area. Fancy marketing will tell you that each of their products are better but in fact the people selling this stuff have little to no "seat time". I own and operate both and can tell you the only thing that really matters is when the customer gives you that check. The method of getting there is negligible.

GreginAlaska
10-27-2002, 01:17 AM
My wife likes our tractor better than a skidsteer...she says it is much smoother than a skidsteer when laying down topsoil. It is a New Holland with "Supersteer" it is darned near as manueverable as a skidsteer.

I've never used a skidsteer...but the tractor was easy to learn.

Guido
10-27-2002, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by dan deutekom
I think it really depends on the operator and the job.

You pinned the tail on the donkey there!

Rent both and try different things with them. One will shine over the other for both reasons stated in the qoute.