PDA

View Full Version : Hedge Trimmer Attachment or...

AltaLawnCare
10-23-2002, 09:58 AM
I'm getting ready to get another hedge trimmer. I have a Stihl FS 85rt and was thinking about the short attachment. Or a dedicated unit, small hand held unit. Has anyone used both types, and compared how they balance, and weight difference.
I have the extended reach 90 degree articulating attachment, but its too long and heavy for small boxwoods in close quarters.

Any opinions?

Thanks.

eslawns
10-23-2002, 07:36 PM
I have the same setup as you, but had a small Poulan 22" trimmer for small shrubs. I couldn't wait for that thing to die. It finally did break. The engine still ran but the frame was in bad shape.

I ended up going with a Husky with the articulating handle. It has the same powerhead as the 225L trimmer. I was thinking about the Redmax, but it was more $$ and single sided. I like being able to alternate the handle, and it runs smoothly with little vibration. If you like the single sided units, the Redmax is smooth.

dlandscaping
10-23-2002, 07:51 PM
I have both an attachment on a 2601pas echo and a hs45 stihl hand held. They both have their places. The long reach attachment is gutless and about 20in long but its good for tall places instead of a ladder. The little stihl is powerful light and tough. I havehad trouble starting it tho some days it wont start and burns fuel like my 460engine. It is dangerous as well at least to us, me and employee 2+stitches in arm.

mdb landscaping
10-23-2002, 08:05 PM
i think this is a situation where you need two pieces of equipment. I have echos handheld gas powered trimmers and i am going to buy the extension for my split shaft echo so i can make the 90 degree cuts and get at the high reach stuff. the handheld unit is great for shaping anything as tall as yourself, but its a pain moving a ladder around to get at the higher stuff.

Green Pastures
10-23-2002, 08:36 PM
I agree, I think this is a situation where two peices of equipment is necessary. I have a 30" Echo handheld and a Stihl chainsaw on a stick that I got the 30 degree angled hedge trimmer attachment and the straight hedge trimmer attachment. The Stihl is great for doing Red Tips, taller stuff where you need to reach or are working from a ladder. The Echo is nice for ground level stuff like Boxwoods.

After being in the business for a few years now, when the Echo dies I'll replace it with Stihl hedge trimmers. They look sharper when new, and easier to sharpen and the blade material is thicker/sturdier. They just look like they'd cut bigger stuff. My Echo is nice but the Stihl looks better. I've never run one so.....................I could be dead wrong.

Scott

AltaLawnCare
10-24-2002, 09:13 AM
Thanks everyone..:)

I've thought about it and I think a separate trimmer is the way to go.

I'm gonna go look at a HS80 today with articulating handle, unless its a lot more than the HS45, I think thats how I'll go.
;)

captdevo
10-24-2002, 02:29 PM
RedMax CHTZ2500 $375 delivered!!

rotating handle
Engine: Pro-GZ25N Strato-Chargedô
Engine Displacement: 25.4 cc
Carburetor: Diaphragm with Purge Pump
Ignition System: Solid State
Fuel Capacity: 1.12 pints
Dry Weight: 12.1 lbs
Blade Speed: 3.83 fps
Blade: 30" Double Sided, Double Reciprocating
Warranty: 1 Year Commercial, 2 Years Consumer

http://www.redmax.com/products/images1/CHTZ2500.jpg

AltaLawnCare
10-24-2002, 03:30 PM
It was the HS45 for $259.00.

They also carry Robin equipment. I checked out the trimmers, and they are a lot smoother, and lighter than stihl. And also have a better guard set up.

I wound up getting a "Green Machine" (Made by Robin, same engine and specs). I liked it better than the HS 45, and no more than I'll use them, they should do fine. The blades on the Green Machine were set up better (IMO).
The GM also uses the same pre-mix as Stihl.
:)