PDA

View Full Version : Another sprayer, every time I turn around

vencops
07-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Had a friend ask me to look at possibly spraying some "weeds" out of his front lawn. I looked at it, and it's ground ivy (and not a lot of it, actually).

Got me thinking, I could use another sprayer. Currently, my smallest sprayers are backpacks. I don't mind adding another (or 3). But, I was wondering if any of you guys use handheld sprayers? If so, what warrants you using that size (over a backpack)? And, if you use them....do you have a recommendation?

Are they easier to clean (completely)?

Thanks.

RigglePLC
07-17-2011, 10:11 AM
You are correct and agree with me--LOL--hand sprayers are easier to clean. I use them at the same mix rate as backpacks. Mostly use the smaller 1.5 gallon size. And they take up a lot less space on the truck

vencops
07-17-2011, 10:15 AM
Riggle....

Got a favorite? I'm gonna try to pick one up, today or tomorrow.

Thanks

Heidi J.
07-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Riggle....

Got a favorite? I'm gonna try to pick one up, today or tomorrow.

Thanks

We use them.. have for many years. Easy for the guys to carry on trucks and great to have "specialty" weed controls such as Drive/Accliam. We use Solo.

vencops
07-17-2011, 10:57 AM
Any reason to go with the SS model?

It's not much more, actually.

Heidi J.
07-17-2011, 10:58 AM
Any reason to go with the SS model?

It's not much more, actually.

Just never had a problem with them I guess :laugh:

Falcon50EX
07-17-2011, 01:23 PM
Had a friend ask me to look at possibly spraying some "weeds" out of his front lawn. I looked at it, and it's ground ivy (and not a lot of it, actually).

Got me thinking, I could use another sprayer. Currently, my smallest sprayers are backpacks. I don't mind adding another (or 3). But, I was wondering if any of you guys use handheld sprayers? If so, what warrants you using that size (over a backpack)? And, if you use them....do you have a recommendation?

Are they easier to clean (completely)?

Thanks.

Solo 1.5 I have three of them and two backpacks

Runner
07-17-2011, 03:52 PM
I use the small hand held pump cans as well. Mainly for uncommon stuff Manage. They are the 1/2 gal. size. They are real handy, as well.

AnotherOkie
07-17-2011, 06:12 PM
I use the the 1.5 gal chapin. They are cheap, but they work for seasonal sprays such as revolver, msma, fusilade, gly, etc. Make sure you label clearly. I don't clean them out. I just buy another.

RigglePLC
07-17-2011, 07:17 PM
I used some hand-held pump cans, like Runner. These take up minimum space--you can get three or four fit behind the seat. For one gallon, I used mostly "Spray Doc" which is made by Gilmour, (same as the green Lesco sprayers).
Inexpensive. Also have a few Chapin and Root-lowell.
Be sure it has a filter, and its easy to clean, (without releasing pressure). If you can find the transparent sprayers---they are a lot easier to see the liquid level--easier to clean and to measure out one gallon of water. At least be sure it has gallons and qts markings on the tank. Try to find sprayers which you can operate with gloves on. Options...pressure guage, and interchangeable nozzles, if you like that sort of thing.
Spray into measuring cup to calibrate. Typically takes about 4 seconds to apply an ounce.

vencops
07-17-2011, 08:24 PM
Riggle.....Thanks (always good stuff)!

And, thanks to everyone who responded. I'll pick up a few of these in the coming days.

lawn king
07-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Dont buy ss if you plan to use it for gly! It could explode!

vencops
07-19-2011, 04:47 PM
I ordered a solo 1.5gal. from Gempler's, today. I'll see how I like it.

Already needed something (nozzles) from there, anyway. So, it made sense.

Thanks again for all the advice. This'll be used for selectives over ornamentals (this particular unit).