PDA

View Full Version : duramax owners; how to make sure its got the Allison tranny?

Ecoscapes
07-17-2011, 09:50 AM
I'm looking to slightly downgrade from my 07 F350 srw diesel into a truck with higher miles but less debt. Maybe it dosen't make sense because higher miles may mean more repairs but I'm patient to find a one owner diamond in the rough. I tried a newer chevy 2500 duramax the other day and it seemed more powerfull than the ford, didn't tow with it but the power was very much there, the ford seems sluggish with heavy towing, and I keep hearing good things about the allison tranny for towing. I"m looking at duramax's with 80000 miles or so, and want to make damn sure its got the allison. Is the only way to tell by the emblem on the side of the truck? I'm not a mechanic but there must be a way to make sure its the allison, by looking at the tranny for certain features? Thanks for any tips!

cat320
07-17-2011, 09:54 AM
well i'm sure the allisons had the external spin on filet so if it has one of those i'm pretty sure it is an allison

4B LawnCare
07-17-2011, 12:21 PM
To the best of my knowledge, all of the duramaxs have the allison behind them. I think the vans did not.
Posted via Mobile Device

JDiepstra
07-17-2011, 12:41 PM
I also believe all Duramax's come with the Allsion. Regardless, I'd still go with a Dodge with a Cummins. Something 04 - 07.

watatrp
07-17-2011, 10:07 PM
The 8.1 gassers are available with the Allison also. Side note: I know a guy with a transmission shop. I asked him at one time what was the best transmission. He said an Allison. I asked him why. He said that he'd never seen one in his shop that needed a repair.

jimmyjack
07-17-2011, 10:10 PM
if its a dmax its got a allison in it , its the only way them come if its a auto.....if its a stick if a zf6 and if its a dmax in a work van then ita 4L80E cause them allison wont fit under the hump in the floor

rcslawncare
07-18-2011, 12:11 AM
if its a dmax its got a allison in it , its the only way them come if its a auto.....if its a stick if a zf6 and if its a dmax in a work van then ita 4L80E cause them allison wont fit under the hump in the floor

Bingo!! Allisons are great trannys if you leave them stock. They go forever and really handle towing well. I loved mine

Cornell
07-18-2011, 12:31 AM

This guy has got it.

6 speed allison's (06+) are stronger than the 5 speed allisons (01-05)

you put stock duramax power through them and you'll have a real tough time breaking one. I've owned 2 duramax's now, an 02 I sold with 100k on it and it drove like it was brand new, and my 06 has 100k on it now and pulls great even though I've had it tuned since it had 27k on it.

I've got a 500rwhp tune in my duramax that could burn the trans up really quick if I felt like it. I don't feel like spending 4-5k on a rebuild so I keep out of it over 80mph.

If you're buying used I would say take it for a test drive and mash on the pedal and let the trans lockup and see if its slipping at all. Only reason it should slip is if it was heavily abused and/or had a power adder on it.

Ecoscapes
07-19-2011, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the tips, sounds like I'll stay looking for 06' an up, found one with 130000miles kind of high but I'll try her out today.

anixon92
07-19-2011, 09:09 AM
i have a 02' 2 wheel drive duramax with 195,000 on it without any problems. just replaced brakes and oil change and this machine runs great. i did lose my brake oil once, so i replaced all brake lines because they were rusting out. truck pulls great. i was running nj to fl. hauling furniture with 24' enclosed trailer and didn't even have any problems with it. like i said its 2 wheel drive not 4x4 and it doesn't like the ice or snow. i love it.

heather lawn sp
07-19-2011, 10:58 AM
We have a 2004, 2005, & 2006 2500 Duramax/Allison

Like the man says Duramaxes with automatics come with the Allison 1000 transmission. We've never had to open the Allison and we snowplow with them in winter and haul 2 ton trailers all summer

meets1
07-19-2011, 09:07 PM
I have a mechanic friend that does work for us on the side - he has yet to see an allison in his shop as well.

We are landscaping for a large bank right now and there is a construction crew there also working where we are - we know each other infact - but they are all fords. We took his 2011 diesel 4 door dually to get a load of plywood and so we could drive the lift on skid on. There is no comparison to our GMC diesels. Not to fuel a fire here but I have to hand it to GM right now with there trucks. I honestly think with my 2011 diesel D-max I would be able to out tow, get-up-an-go, I think the d-max is quiter - all for a $65K truck - i think the ford is just a bit clumsy.