PDA

View Full Version : Need thoughts on takin apart a R.R. Tie Wall

DVS Hardscaper
07-17-2011, 12:57 PM
We don't do this too often. In the last 15 years we've only ever ripped out maybe 2 or 3 railroad tie walls.

In the past we have used a skid steer or excavator and lifted the walls out of place with the bucket.

This is a small job at a townhouse. I really do not want to take the skid steer there for such a small job.

I'm thinking we're going to carefully saw up the wall with it in place.

Any thoughts?

tailboardtech
07-17-2011, 01:24 PM
it can be done, how rotten is the wall? another thing to is rr ties will eat up chain saw chains quick so you will have to use a sawzall, maybe rent a dingo with a grapple?

greatinmulchbeds
07-17-2011, 01:35 PM
what we have done in the past is wedge a digging bar in between the ties, pry up, and cut the nails with a sawzall

LB1234
07-17-2011, 03:27 PM
really depends on how well the wall was built. if there are deadman like there are supposed to be and the wall is less than twenty years old with stone around it...good luck. your best bet would be thumb on the X and a sawsall 12" wood blade...bring a few spares. If the wall is really rotten and not constructed correctly originally no need for the skid steer....X will handle it NP at all. depending on the ground...you could lift up and drop from a height and will basically come apart on own.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
07-17-2011, 03:43 PM
All the above...buy a big pack of sawsall blades and use a few saws if you have them. The biggest headach in my area is paying to dispose of them. I have 2 of these jobs coming up but fortunately they are like balsawood (sp) now.

DVS Hardscaper
07-17-2011, 03:55 PM
yep, bought the 12" blades earlier today. I have 4 new saw chains. And I bought blades for cutting whatever it is that's holding the ties together. Really small job, I just don't want to tug the loader there if we can do it without. (retired people with their motorhomes and cars in tow crack me up! After a career of pulling equipment all over western MD and the DC area, the last thing I want to do when I retire is tow something when I travel!!!)

Stillwater
07-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Bring strong guys, a heavy sledge / chain saw and file / pinch bar / sawsall with lots of demo blades. you may find a section or 2 of tie you can't separate with the pinch to get a sawsall blade in. cut that section with the chain saw. If these are genuine old RR ties watch for steel anti split S bars and cut off spikes hammered in the ends of ties and occasionally throughout the tie they will trash your chain in a nano second. keep the creosote and heavy metal salts they used as a preservative out of your mouth just to avoid the uncontrollable drooling later in life. you can clean the sticky staining of the chain saw bar with gas on a rag.