PDA

View Full Version : Need to ID a warm season unwanted grass

ChicagoLawn
07-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Hello and thank you for looking at this post.

I have a single client that has this unwanted grass. From what I have discovered it appears to be a warm season grass. It certainly is spreading via stolon above soil and is taking over the clients lawn.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Joe

kbrashears
07-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Bermuda
Posted via Mobile Device

ChicagoLawn
07-17-2011, 04:11 PM
Thank you very much for the quick reply!

Now to begin my research.

Please advise as to how to eradicate from a cool season lawn. Are there any selective herbicides available?

Joe

BrendonTW
07-17-2011, 05:03 PM
There are definitely selective herbicides. I believe the active ingredient to kill Bermuda is triclopyr. Not exactly sure though. Down here the lawns are Bermuda. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
07-18-2011, 04:28 AM
Turflon(Triclopyr)+Acclaim Extra(Fenoxaprop). Acclaim is normally used for crabgrass and goosegrass control in cool season lawns. However, if applied with Turflon in the spring, before it gets hot and dry but when the bermuda is actively growing, it will control it. This will take 2-3 applications in one year with another set of applications the next year. Before anyone says RoundUp and re seed, bermuda is deep in the soil. The only way to get to the growth structures that deep is with a fumigant, which are all RUP and very hard to legally use in a residential lawn.

turf hokie
07-18-2011, 06:48 AM
Greendoc

Would that same mix work on bentgrass?

Thanks
Bryan

grassmasterswilson
07-18-2011, 06:49 AM
down south this is a very common lawn (wish I had it!). when the heat gets hear our fescue starts to brown out and a lot of times the bermuda fills it in. I've found it almost impossible in my area to get rid of it.

What I try to do is scalp before seeding and then cut your cool season high (4 inches). This helps to shade out the bermuda.

There are many products that will target the bermuda, but if your fescue is suffering and weak once you have bermuda you will always have it. Best to keep fescue healthy and thick.