PDA

View Full Version : My truck died today. Here are my options.

Hardcore5657
07-17-2011, 09:25 PM
My 89 chevy 2500 took a crap today and not worth fixing. So I will pull around my trailer with my hummer H2. I already had one landscaper on my block bust me about it tonight when he saw me hooking my trailer up to the hummer but hey the grass has to get cut monday! So I just bought some new equipment and a vac system for my zt. lot of money laid out last month. Do I buy a cheap truck to get mr through the rest of summer or use the hummer the rest of the year and get a newer nicer truck next year to pull the trailer with. Trading in the hummer this year for a pickup is not an option I love my H2

R & R Yard Designs
07-17-2011, 09:26 PM
What is wrong with the truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hardcore5657
07-17-2011, 09:28 PM
Electical fire in the steering colum, the inside is toast

Merkava_4
07-17-2011, 09:34 PM
Why is the landscaper frowning on you for towing your trailer with a Hummer?

Geo2199
07-17-2011, 09:41 PM
I would just tow with the H2. is it the SUV or the 4 door truck version? and the running gear of the H2 is all 2500 axles, brakes, diffs including LS 6.0 motor. Aren't they rated to tow 10,000lbs?

topsites
07-17-2011, 09:41 PM
Take some good advice when you get it because I don't give it out nice and easy much, here goes:
Love of material things and business don't mix, break up with your Hummer because no matter how much you love
your Hummer it won't save your ass, then trade it in and don't buy a cheapo to get you through, don't go all hog
wild crazy either, just get what you need, nothing more, no less, trade the hummer so you can get what you need
as that's actually the best you can do, for both yourself and the hummer.

Good luck.

Geo2199
07-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Take some good advice when you get it because I don't give it out nice and easy much, here goes:
Love of material things and business don't mix, break up with your Hummer
because no matter how much you love your Hummer it won't save your ass,
then trade it in and get what you need.

I dont think he needs to. If the H2 is already paid for he can use it for work. Plus all H2s come with 4wd, locking rear edns, good ground clearence, hi payload and towing capacities plus a proven 6L V8. His brakes, suspension, driveshaty and axles all come out of the 2500HD silverado that was made at the time.

nepatsfan
07-17-2011, 09:45 PM
Love of material things and business don't mix, break up with your Hummer because no matter how much you love
your Hummer it won't save your ass, then trade it in and don't buy a cheapo to get you through, don't go all hog
wild crazy either, just get what you need, nothing more, no less, trade the hummer so you can get what you need.

Good luck.

First decent piece of advice from topsites since he joined the forum.

Can we make this a sticky....1 out of 30,000 isnt bad:waving:.....I included ones that were deleted

topsites
07-17-2011, 09:59 PM
This message is hidden because nepatsfan is on your ignore list.

Please do me a favor and do the same for me, next wise comment out of you goes to the moderators and
once that happens we can both kiss it good bye because I won't back down, you folks have your complaints
about what I have to say but you can throw your wise comments around, that don't fly with me.

mowerbrad
07-17-2011, 10:27 PM
Do you have to carry anything in the bed of your truck regularly or can everything pretty much stay on the trailer? If everything can stay on the trailer and you don't need a truck bed for a while, I would just keep using the hummer.

When next year rolls around, start looking around for a newer truck. It doesn't have to be brand new, but 3-4 year old trucks are a pretty good option. That age truck usually has minimal problems and the prices aren't too bad either.

Until you can afford a replacement truck to your old '89, just keep using the hummer.

ecurbthims
07-17-2011, 11:24 PM
your truck was twenty two years old and untill this fire served you well [I am guessing ] ,why not just buy another cheapie and be done with it ?You can pick up something 10 years newer for very little ,and you dont hurt your hummers value by working it hard .

Ridin' Green
07-18-2011, 12:04 AM
Electical fire in the steering colum, the inside is toast

Are you saying that the entire inside of the cab is toast, or just the inside of the steering column? A steering column would be an easy repair, the cab a bit more, but still may be the best way to go.

Either way, if the rest of the truck is still giving you good service, why not just find a replacement cab at a local salvage yard. We have lots of them around here, but we also have a place that specializes in GM parts and takeoffs. You may be able to find a cab from a truck that was totalled in the bed area, and still has a decent cab. Spending several hundred dollars always makes me a lot happier than spending several thousand for something I need. A new truck would be nice, but insurance goes up on newer vehicles (at least in my state), which just adds to your total cost of operation.
If that isn't what you want to do, then just use the H2 until you can replace the truck.

Grass Shark
07-18-2011, 12:12 AM
I wish I had a hummer to pull my trailer with..... badassssss!!! Not sensible, but bad ass and if you gotta do it then do it.

Stillwater
07-18-2011, 12:23 AM
So do I got this straight?....... the h2 is the only back up for your business? Their are no saved funds for repair or replacement for at least a year? selling the H2 is off the table? So now that we all know exactly where your priorities lay what exactly are you asking us?........

lawnboy dan
07-18-2011, 07:26 AM
everyone should have a back up truck

nepatsfan
07-18-2011, 10:28 AM
This message is hidden because nepatsfan is on your ignore list.

Please do me a favor and do the same for me, next wise comment out of you goes to the moderators and
once that happens we can both kiss it good bye because I won't back down, you folks have your complaints
about what I have to say but you can throw your wise comments around, that don't fly with me.

If I am on your ignore list than how will you see when I have responded to you genius

White Gardens
07-18-2011, 05:03 PM
So do I got this straight?....... the h2 is the only back up for your business? Their are no saved funds for repair or replacement for at least a year? selling the H2 is off the table? So now that we all know exactly where your priorities lay what exactly are you asking us?........

everyone should have a back up truck

Ditto!

Business is business, and if it means selling off your material item (H2) to make your business survive than so be it.

But, you can use your H2 for business and leave it at that. Babying the thing and keeping it shiny and new isn't the priority, Surviving is.

The only drawback is that you'll be getting some evil eyes from your competition thinking your showing off with the H2. Those are the ones that don't realize it's just a fancy version of a Silverado.

Mark Oomkes
07-18-2011, 05:10 PM
wild crazy either, just get what you need, nothing more, no less, trade the hummer so you can get what you need
as that's actually the best you can do, for both yourself and the hummer.

Good luck.

Actually, stealing from his customers would be a far better route to go to buy a new truck.

Just make sure they don't know that you're stealing from them.

Patriot Services
07-18-2011, 05:12 PM
You really want to trash the inside of a Hummer with your sweaty, dirty, dog crap carrying body?
Posted via Mobile Device

punt66
07-18-2011, 05:57 PM
The problem with a hummer is their gas guzzling reputation. Its a in your face thing that clients or potential clients may look funny at. But maybe not. TOPSITES, you get what you deserve.

dieseltech
07-18-2011, 11:07 PM
Use the hummer!!! What the hell is wrong with that? Do what you gotta do man. You should be just fine.
Posted via Mobile Device