PDA

View Full Version : Please help identify this weed and how to kill. Thanks

clydesdale
07-17-2011, 11:20 PM
I have this weed in my parents lawn. It showed up this year and has been very aggressive. Can you please identify it and help me get rid of it?

31bro
07-18-2011, 02:44 PM
I think it is Healall. Does it have a purple flower?

ted putnam
07-19-2011, 12:24 AM
drought stress-o-rama. Looks as dry as many of the lawns around here. I didn't think y'all were having a problem with lack of rainfall like us.

clydesdale
07-19-2011, 07:50 AM
We really aren't yet. Maybe it is the pics, but the lawn is still green. Some dry spots, but not terrible. Last year was MUCH worse. We could use some rain, but lawns are still mostly green.

garydale
07-19-2011, 10:49 AM
My quess,

smooth pigweed (Amaranthus hybridus)

preemergent in spring or 24-D in summer

RAlmaroad
07-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Lesco's Three-Way is labeled for pigweed. However there is a precaution to spraying in the heat or drought and stressed turf. Read the label on amount. Don't mow for a few days after spraying. I would water the lawn and pull them. Hogs do like to eat them as I remember or they would make great compost. At any cost do not let them bloom and go to seed or next year you'll have tenfold pigweeds.

RigglePLC
07-19-2011, 02:54 PM
I am with Garydale, pigweed. Not difficult to control--mowing short prevents it from going to seed. Spray with Trimec. Do not topdress with soil that contains pigweed seeds.
http://www.msuturfweeds.net/details/_/redroot_pigweed_32/