PDA

View Full Version : Using what I have

jeffslawnservice
07-17-2011, 11:40 PM
I am trying to find ideas of how to do excavation and removal of excess fill or dirt as efficiently as possible. Right now I only have a 3/4 ton pickup and until now all of the jobs I performed if I was to take debris or dirt away it was only a load or two. I have a few jobs coming up that would require me to take out 5-10 loads of dirt or other debris. The answer to this should be a dump truck but that is not going to come until later on this year or over the winter. Basically I am looking to find the easiest and fastest way to remove all of this dirt and debris with out using a dump. I can not rent one close enough. My thoughts are renting a dump trailer or trying to find a company that will deliver a dumpster and let me dump dirt in it. (Many if not all companies around me do not let you dump dirt or concrete into these dumpsters. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

DVS Hardscaper
07-18-2011, 10:10 AM
hmmm I have an idea.....How bout a donkey with a cart behind it?

Posted via Mobile Device

jeffslawnservice
07-18-2011, 10:24 AM
hmmm I have an idea.....How bout a donkey with a cart behind it?

Posted via Mobile Device

Great idea!!! When I am not doing landscapes or hardscapes I can have the donkey work as a lawn mower and eat the grass on my maintenance accounts.

GreenLight
07-18-2011, 12:09 PM
We have services here that I guess would be commonly called "dump runners". More or less what we do or did was do the bulk of the prep work and in that process pile all of our unwanted dirt, debris, etc close to an exit point. When that process was complete, we called in the dump runner who usually drove a large tri axle 8 yard dump truck. They would generally charge anywhere from $150-200 dollars to haul off the load and dispose. You do need a bobcat for this method, but generally on large excavation or renovation sites, that is spec'd into what you are doing. It was a bit of a lifesaver for us. We would have 14,000-16,000 pounds of trash, dirt, roots, old grass etc. that the bobcat would load up in under 20 minutes and it was hauled off and our hands were clean of it. For $200.00 or less, it simply made a lot of sense.

DVS Hardscaper
07-18-2011, 01:00 PM
Yeah, try to find someone with a small dump truck to do some hauling for you. You need a place for him to dump, unless has has a place.
Posted via Mobile Device

OutdoorCreations
07-18-2011, 09:23 PM
Get a dump trailer, it's a good start. Insurance is cheap and doesn't require fuel to run.
Try to re-use as much soil on site as possible.

PatriotLandscape
07-19-2011, 08:17 AM
I'm it a fan of dump trailers. My thought is if you need to dump then get a dump truck so you can still have a trailer attached with your tools.

Sell the pickup and buy a cheap dump truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
07-19-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm a huge fan of a dump trailer. Many moons ago I bought one mire for the write off and thought we'll use it a couple
Times a month. That thing went out every day!

Handy. Handy. Handy.

And we have dump trucks.

They're nice cause you can use it as a roll off trash container. Park it at a job site and put the trash in it. Use the dump truk for hauling materials at hand.

You can sometimes find used ones. I know of a 12000 GVW dump trailer for sale in Md, I think he wants $3500
Posted via Mobile Device

jeffslawnservice
07-19-2011, 11:36 AM
I was thinking about going the dump trailer route. For me the Pros would be
- Lower to the ground so it would be easier to get wheel barrows full of dirt or material on the trailer.
- It acts as a roll off and I think that would be very useful.
- Cheaper investment upfront.

Some of the cons for me would be:
- I already have one trailer out on the street infront of my house and I need to get another enclosed (I want to have one for maintenance and one for landscapng and hardscaping) If I had two or even three trailers outside I think someone would get pissed. If I find some land to rent that would solve that.
- I am in need to a second truck at this point and I feel that a dump truck is more of an investment and will better serve me for now.

I need to figure out which one (truck or trailer) would suit me better now and into the future before I decide to buy one.

Usually I would lose as much dirt on the property as I cound but we are actually redoing the driveway. It was done a few years ao by another contractor and alot of the pavers started to heave, So most of the material we are removing is alot of stone, sand and dirt. (His base was only 3-4 inches so we do need to excavate farther down.) And this proeprty is very small and there is no room at all to lose dirt or stone.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

PatriotLandscape
07-19-2011, 12:34 PM
We use dump trucks and enclosed trailers for the tools.

It has worked for us. All the tools are accounted for and rarely does anyone donate a tool at the dump or drop a yard of stone on one.

I know a guy who uses dump inserts but not sure how good they are for hauling stone and loam.
Posted via Mobile Device