PDA

View Full Version : Renovation of lawn

SystemXpert
10-23-2002, 03:21 PM
Hello,

This is my first post to this site. My lawn is 10,000 sqft, and riddled with problems. Weeds, moss, and bare spots. My turf is supposed to be fescue, but looks more like a mix of grasses, weeds and an invasion of bermuda.

On Oct 19-20, my wife and I attacked the yard. We aerated, seeded, fertilized, and mulched the entire yard. We used Lesco transitional blend seed and starter fertilizer. We used straw to lightly covered the new seed beds. I have watered our lawn every day that it has not rained.

My questions is are we too late ? Will the new grass germinate and get established before the first frost ? We live in upstate SC, so you would think we are ok, but we do sometimes get some cold air drifting down from the mountains.

Second question, the leaves are starting to fall. I know I need to blow them off the lawn, but will letting them sit a few days harm the new grass when it germinates ?

Last question. How good are Lesco products. I went to a Lesco commercial center and got setup with an account even though I'm not a turf manager by trade. They recommend a maintence program for fescue that amounts to about 7-8 feedings per year. Is this reasonable ?

Any advice ?

TurfGuyTX
10-23-2002, 10:22 PM
1. Time will tell. If you don't get a frost soon, you will probably be okay.

2. The leaves could hamper the new grass. If you have time to keep them off, I'd recommend it.

3. I use Lesco frequently. Most of them are knowledgeable. They could help you have a great lawn.

What did you do to control the weeds and bermuda? If they weren't killed, I'd imagine them coming back. Definately start a good program for your lawn. Good luck.

Green Pastures
10-23-2002, 10:32 PM
The weeds and the Bermuda will be back. Lesco products are good. Use a good Pre-emergent + Fertilizer in the Spring before germination season. Lesco has it. Also consider Fuselade II for the Bermuda once it becomes active again in the spring, several light applications should slow it down if not stop it. Depends on how healthy the fescue is and how high you mow it. I'd keep fescue at no less than 3" in S.C. Best would have been to kill everything before aeration and seeding this year. You can work around it. Lesco can and will help. Have them come out to your house if possible. DO A SOIL SAMPLE in the spring, and get your ph level right.

Scott