PDA

View Full Version : economic effect...

prosper
07-18-2011, 01:42 PM
What has the effect been on your business due to the economy?

Less overall jobs and even bids?
people scaling back the size of a project?
People backing out of projects due to funds?
People scared of the economy and sitting on the fence with their projects?

DVS Hardscaper
07-18-2011, 02:03 PM
What has the effect been on your business due to the economy?

Less overall jobs and even bids?
people scaling back the size of a project?
People backing out of projects due to funds?
People scared of the economy and sitting on the fence with their projects?

In our region the economy is turning around nicely. But if
You listen to the republican presidential candidates, they're saying it's the worst ever. I'm seeing a turn around. This is has been 100% better than last year.

Posted via Mobile Device

RussellB
07-18-2011, 04:54 PM
I noticed that customers that generally refresh their mulch every other year have not this year. I was fornunate to pick up several foreclosed homes that were purchased by out of towners. Homes have been vacant for two/three years and needed massive overhauls. Overall, my business is up but my routine has changed.

OutdoorCreations
07-18-2011, 10:19 PM
2010 was a really good year for me. 2011 so far has been really rough. I have a lot to look at, but everybody is pinching the pennies.

DVS Hardscaper
07-19-2011, 12:15 AM
The recession was quite a learning experience.

It hasnt been easy, and its been alotta hard work. And IM STILL IM BUSINESS!!!! but that's in part to support from family and a good relationship with my bank. Haha.

Good can come out of bad. The recession is what sparked my interest in venturing into another facit of the construction industry.

We're busy and cash-flow is steady. Cept all the income is being spent on equipment repairs that are long overdue.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
07-19-2011, 12:29 AM
What I'm finding is a majority of people not building the more expensive outdoor spaces.

The market for patios and such are just for small patios and such. Most people to me are bringing their money inside for kitchens/baths remodels.

What I am seeing is that the market is in general landscape installs, landscape renovations, and curb appeal. But it seems like the extremely large projects are few and far between.

Luckily, our area is reasonably conservative and people around here as a whole didn't over-spend before the recession, pulled back and didn't spend for a year or two, and have now loosened up on spending for things such as landscaping again.

Overall, knowing the local market limitations, and a recession, I'm definitively way up this year as a whole for everything I offer.

I can't complain for being able to grow a little bit every year when I hear other contractors are having a tough time.