PDA

View Full Version : toro stripe kit

EHesseyLawns
10-23-2002, 07:45 PM
hey,

any of you guys have a stripe kit on a toro wb? or how do i go about making one? ive seen a bunch for DC's and eX's but not one for a toro....thanks

odin
10-23-2002, 07:55 PM
toro sells a stripe kit for the zmasters.
We put one on our 52's it works fairly well.I think its 75$ for the kit .

If your walkbehind has a sfs deck im sure they have a stripe kit for it to

Envy Lawn Service
10-23-2002, 09:13 PM
Would you care to describe Toro's stripe kits? I've never seen one on anything.

odin
10-23-2002, 09:15 PM
Its a long strip of rubber you drill a few holes in the deck and bolt it on.

Envy Lawn Service
10-23-2002, 09:19 PM
Oh, I saw that on a Gravely. It didn't work! You had to cut close for it to make good contact and by the time you got it that close, the grass was too short to stripe. But our grasses here are harder to stripe anyways.

dwost
10-23-2002, 10:09 PM
I have a Gravely with the rubber flap. It worked OK but I went one step further and built a roller kit. here is the link.

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35591

Envy Lawn Service
10-23-2002, 10:58 PM
I tried that same deal with the deck roller some time back. Needless to say I was trying to rid myself of the roller I made for stripes years ago. I don't know how long Big Leages has been in business, but somehow I feel the stole my idea! Nah, prolly just pot luck.

My old roller worked good, I was just tire of it being behind me in the way. So I tried something similar to what you did. I had brackets welded on. The whole bit. It didn't work for me worth a flip!!! It would do OK if I let the weight of the deck ride on it. But god it banged the deck every which way slowing me down. I just took it off and stayed with what I had.

scfreder1
10-23-2002, 11:32 PM
This is my first post here on lawnsite. I have been using this as a learning tool for the past few months. This is finally a subject that I can give some input on.

I use a 36" proline fixed deck as my primary mower. When the subject of striping came up recently I began to look at ways to make my accounts look that professional. I actually incorporated two of the ideas I read about here at the same time so I have no idea which one is the most effective.

1) My proline came with a rubber flap hanging from the deck with an empty loop at the bottom. I used an $0.89 piece of 1/4 all thread to insert through the loop. Coat it with WD-40 or silicon and use a drill to get it through.

2) I built something similar to the DC kit (see Eric ELM's page) out of angle iron, chain, and 1 1/2 x 5/16 bolts. This is attached to the frame by L brackets through the existing holes in the frame.

Email me if you would like a picture.

The results were dramatic and immediate.

I began doing designs in my customer lawn that really got their attention.

One customer actually asked me to unload the mower and do a checkerboard design in her lawn. I told her I would the next time.

I hope this is helpful.

Tony Harrell
10-24-2002, 07:15 AM
That flap idea was me. I posted some pics in another thread. I bought it from eXmark and put the threaded rod in the bottom with my drill. It's about $20 total. Mine hooks to the axle but they make one for hydros also. It stripes my lawns great because it's not dependent on deck height. I'm going to experiment on the roller ideas also because I think the roller is the best stripe regardless of mowing height.

EHesseyLawns
10-24-2002, 04:18 PM
basically, it doesnt sound like putting the roller on my wb is worth it and i just wait and put it on my ztr (when the money comes in). big league makes stripe kits but they only make them for exmark, scag and i think hustler but i cant remember now.

odin00, you're from nashville rite?

MacLawnCo
10-24-2002, 04:23 PM
Elizabeth,

that is not true. He will custom make a kit to fit darn near anything out there. He is going to be making me a roller that attaches to the back of my toro deck that sits in between the drive wheels. I think he said it would run arround $120 ish.

odin
10-24-2002, 04:30 PM
ELIZABETH

No im from chicago but i was born and raised a little farther south then you are in nashville.
I was rasied up in panola county mississippi:D

And what maclawnco said is correct big league lawns can make you a roller for your toro.

scfreder1
10-26-2002, 12:06 AM
I had a few requests for pics in response to my previous post.

We had snow on the ground at that time and I wanted to show the results as well as the product.

Total cost about $30.

I mowed my lawn after the snow finished melting today. Keep in mind that it is overcast.

scfreder1
10-26-2002, 12:10 AM
The Results.

scfreder1
10-26-2002, 12:11 AM
Another view.

EHesseyLawns
10-28-2002, 01:29 PM
sweet, that's awesome! howd u make it? i want/NEED one! heh, i love my job