PDA

View Full Version : Attention Lawn Mowing Guys:

lawnguy26
07-18-2011, 02:03 PM
Please stop telling your customers that they have webworms just because your seeing moths fly out of the yards. Every year I get two dozen or so calls this month from my customers who say there lawn mowing company told them they have webworms in there lawn. There is a difference between adult sod webworms and the larvae!

Ric
07-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Please stop telling your customers that they have webworms just because your seeing moths fly out of the yards. Every year I get two dozen or so calls this month from my customers who say there lawn mowing company told them they have webworms in there lawn. There is a difference between adult sod webworms and the larvae!

My question is which is worse?? The untrained Yard Boy telling a customer to call the CPO?? Or the supposedly trained CPO who doesn't read labels and treats Sow Web Worms with the wrong product and at a higher rate than the label allows???

I tell my networking guys I would rather make 10 trips for nothing than to miss one actual problem I could treat before it got out of hand.

greendoctor
07-18-2011, 02:30 PM
Ric, I do not mow. However, I know almost all of the mowing guys that service my accounts. If they tell me about sod web worm activity, that means that I am not looking at the property often enough or with a critical eye. Oddly enough, I remember firing a client who got all hissy because I was there to examine the property as part of service, but did not apply anything. Someone that expects me to fog everything with pesticides on every visit needs to find an unlicensed, uneducated yard boy who will.

lawnguy26
07-18-2011, 02:37 PM

My question is which is worse?? The untrained Yard Boy telling a customer to call the CPO?? Or the supposedly trained CPO who doesn't read labels and treats Sow Web Worms with the wrong product and at a higher rate than the label allows???

I tell my networking guys I would rather make 10 trips for nothing than to miss one actual problem I could treat before it got out of hand.

I am assuming you're referring to an older post of mine about imidacloprid being applied for residual control of webworms. I have admitted my mistake, but am not suprised you would bring it back up. :rolleyes:

And if you needed to know I applied bifenthrin with the imidacloprid application. So yes it is a wasted trip for me to go back out one week after an application because some uninformed lawn guy tells his customer he has webworms.

greendoctor
07-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Now I understand the whole story. In my area, it is common for the uneducated to pick apart the work of a real pro. I would take what that mowing guy said to your client as that. Which is why I make it a point to know who is mowing my lawns and if I do not know them or if they refuse to work with me rather than against me, client is referred to a network of people that will.

lawnguy26
07-18-2011, 03:01 PM
Now I understand the whole story. In my area, it is common for the uneducated to pick apart the work of a real pro. I would take what that mowing guy said to your client as that. Which is why I make it a point to know who is mowing my lawns and if I do not know them or if they refuse to work with me rather than against me, client is referred to a network of people that will.

I wish I had a go to guy for mowing. I've referred good guys in the past but they seem to only last so long. Eventually the blades get duller, the ruts get more prominent and turning damage gets worse.

Ric
07-18-2011, 03:21 PM

Green

I think you only have to read my signature to understand the problem that faces our industry every day. The buck passing between the yard boy and the spray boy is as old as lawn care. Every body thinks they know eveything about Yard Care. The truth is most people in the industry don't know Crap.

lawnguy26
07-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Green

I think you only have to read my signature to understand the problem that faces our industry every day. The buck passing between the yard boy and the spray boy is as old as lawn care. Every body thinks they know eveything about Yard Care. The truth is most people in the industry don't know Crap.

Which is why I posted this very simple lesson: Just because there are moths in the lawn does not mean there are turf damaging larvae present. This uneducated information about damaging moths is passed on to my customers every year. I've been recieving these phone calls for 15 years now.

stickleylawncare
07-18-2011, 08:00 PM
I never jump the gun and try to lay the blame on one of the pest companies. If I notice something that doesn't look right in the yard, I let the homeowner know about the spot and then ask them to get in touch with their spray company and ask them what ( if anything) needs to be done.

If I did something wrong, Ill work to fix it, and if they did something wrong, I hope they work to fix it, but blaming each other just causes a nasty atmosphere to work in and helps no one.

South Florida Lawns
07-18-2011, 08:24 PM
I never jump the gun and try to lay the blame on one of the pest companies. If I notice something that doesn't look right in the yard, I let the homeowner know about the spot and then ask them to get in touch with their spray company and ask them what ( if anything) needs to be done.

If I did something wrong, Ill work to fix it, and if they did something wrong, I hope they work to fix it, but blaming each other just causes a nasty atmosphere to work in and helps no one.

That's how I do things with my accounts, I feel pointing the finger is like an easy way out. There are so many half ass'ed people on both sides of the industry (maintenance/spray) its easy to just blame the other guy, and that sorta thing happens every day.

I sub all my spraying out to a friend of mine we work together and the accounts stand out from all others. If there's ever an issue a simple call saves a bigger possible problem.

Ric
07-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Which is why I posted this very simple lesson: Just because there are moths in the lawn does not mean there are turf damaging larvae present. This uneducated information about damaging moths is passed on to my customers every year. I've been recieving these phone calls for 15 years now.

The opposite side of the coin is the Yard Boy who doesn't see or say anything about a problem in the Yard.

Not unlike the Green Doctor I try to work with the Lawn cutter for the Benefit of the customer and the Lawn care providers. The better our yards look the more work we get from word of mouth.

Florida Gardener
07-18-2011, 10:37 PM

The opposite side of the coin is the Yard Boy who doesn't see or say anything about a problem in the Yard.

Not unlike the Green Doctor I try to work with the Lawn cutter for the Benefit of the customer and the Lawn care providers. The better our yards look the more work we get from word of mouth.
That is the best way for it to work for everyone. That is how I view it, the better the yard looks, the more work everyone gets.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
07-19-2011, 01:24 AM
It does go both ways. My mowing guy always calls me before he says anything to the client or if he sees something. At times it is as if we might as well be working out of the same office. For him it is a relief as well. He does not have to guess how to deal with a hard to manage lawn or landscape without an applicator's license. He just has to worry about the mow ,trim and rake.

yamadooski
07-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Hey lawn guy 26 how about you stop telling us lawn guys to raise our deck.
My Exmark deck is all the way on the highest setting!!!!!!
I even show my customers and tell them to find a new fert and squirt guy.
Or better yet I'll do it for you.
Sure is funny how I cut my own yard at 1 notch below the highest and my grass is thick and dark green.
Oh maybe I should leave a bill on my front door and tell myself to raise my deck:hammerhead:

Florida Gardener
07-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Sure is funny how I cut my own yard at 1 notch below the highest and my grass is thick and dark green.
Oh maybe I should leave a bill on my front door and tell myself to raise my deck:hammerhead:
Summer heat gettin to ya, huh.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
07-19-2011, 10:31 PM

Have not had 26 say this same thing to a client but have had several other clients spray companies say I am cutting short. About a month ago a sales rep from Drake tried to tell me that I was cutting our clients lawn too short in front of the client. I had cut 1/2 the lawn at this point when the client stopped to ask me about this. I had him go get the Drake rep and I showed them both that it was being cut at 4.75. Now granted a deck may get knocked around and run 1/4 of inch lower if not adjusted regular but to say try to blame the lawn guy when it is clearly over 4.0 inches is a stupid mistake. I proceeded to take the Drake rep around the lawn and ask about sedge weed, crabgrass, spurge and if they were putting too much N on the lawn since the tips of the grass were purple. I have not had a issue with that rep since.
True Green is the worst.....all issues they can not fix are because of the lawn guy...it is our fault that the fire ants are the lawn...we transported them. That is why they are called imported fire ants did you know:laugh::laugh::laugh: By the way we brought the cinch bugs with us too - they were just looking for a ride because their wings didn't work. :nono:

26 - I know it must get old as we here the same thing from uneducated techs on our end. I know I most likley drive my spray company nuts on some properties...especially those where the homeowner overwaters and sedge is present......but I also let the homeowner know that they are most likely over watering or something is causing a moisture issue in certain areas. This give you the applicator a chance to explain this also.....and sometimes...just sometimes two people telling the HO the same thing allows it to think into their head and we both win.

I rarely blame a applicator with the exception of it being True Brown, which is not always, but generally a legitimate cause of the lawns issues, or if you hit it with so much N the turf has purple tips and is growing in such a manner that I have to double cut to remove the clippings during a part of year in which it is not common and the last one is usually not that common unless it becomes routine and then I explain the purpose of my complaint.

One last word 26 - I would recommend working with the existing lawn guys if possible to educate them, open up the lines of communication. I can tell you from personal experience I have the chance to develop a relationship and since of trust with many of my clients, a chance your guys schedule does not often allow. So it not uncommon that I get a stupid complaint from a HO that their fert tech said for example something about cutting height causing the issue - after a simple measurment of the height in front of the customer - they are using my referral for their L and O needs. All because a tech wanted to shift blame when it was not accurate. We often get a chance to develop a relationship and sense of trust that you do not because of the frequency of our visits vs yours, so it is in your best interest to educate us when you can and work with us....it keep us both employed and the customer happy. :clapping::clapping:

Snyder's Lawn Inc
07-19-2011, 11:05 PM
Have not had 26 say this same thing to a client but have had several other clients spray companies say I am cutting short. About a month ago a sales rep from Drake tried to tell me that I was cutting our clients lawn too short in front of the client. I had cut 1/2 the lawn at this point when the client stopped to ask me about this. I had him go get the Drake rep and I showed them both that it was being cut at 4.75. Now granted a deck may get knocked around and run 1/4 of inch lower if not adjusted regular but to say try to blame the lawn guy when it is clearly over 4.0 inches is a stupid mistake. I proceeded to take the Drake rep around the lawn and ask about sedge weed, crabgrass, spurge and if they were putting too much N on the lawn since the tips of the grass were purple. I have not had a issue with that rep since.
True Green is the worst.....all issues they can not fix are because of the lawn guy...it is our fault that the fire ants are the lawn...we transported them. That is why they are called imported fire ants did you know:laugh::laugh::laugh: By the way we brought the cinch bugs with us too - they were just looking for a ride because their wings didn't work. :nono:

26 - I know it must get old as we here the same thing from uneducated techs on our end. I know I most likley drive my spray company nuts on some properties...especially those where the homeowner overwaters and sedge is present......but I also let the homeowner know that they are most likely over watering or something is causing a moisture issue in certain areas. This give you the applicator a chance to explain this also.....and sometimes...just sometimes two people telling the HO the same thing allows it to think into their head and we both win.

I rarely blame a applicator with the exception of it being True Brown, which is not always, but generally a legitimate cause of the lawns issues, or if you hit it with so much N the turf has purple tips and is growing in such a manner that I have to double cut to remove the clippings during a part of year in which it is not common and the last one is usually not that common unless it becomes routine and then I explain the purpose of my complaint.

One last word 26 - I would recommend working with the existing lawn guys if possible to educate them, open up the lines of communication. I can tell you from personal experience I have the chance to develop a relationship and since of trust with many of my clients, a chance your guys schedule does not often allow. So it not uncommon that I get a stupid complaint from a HO that their fert tech said for example something about cutting height causing the issue - after a simple measurment of the height in front of the customer - they are using my referral for their L and O needs. All because a tech wanted to shift blame when it was not accurate. We often get a chance to develop a relationship and sense of trust that you do not because of the frequency of our visits vs yours, so it is in your best interest to educate us when you can and work with us....it keep us both employed and the customer happy. :clapping::clapping:

Glad Im not only one has this problem
Not from your state
Had a spray guy tell my customer that I hauled in webworms to his lawn
Because He sprayed it and Lawn still has them Wasn t his fault it was mine
I died from:laugh::laugh::laugh:

MR-G
07-20-2011, 12:35 AM
Now I understand the whole story. In my area, it is common for the uneducated to pick apart the work of a real pro. I would take what that mowing guy said to your client as that. Which is why I make it a point to know who is mowing my lawns and if I do not know them or if they refuse to work with me rather than against me, client is referred to a network of people that will. its for just this reason we do ALL our own mowing and spraying.

Stillwater
07-20-2011, 04:15 AM
Attention Lawn Mowing Guys:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Given the moths limited lifespan and it's natural in-ability to travel extended distances exactly where do you think they came from?

Ric
07-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Attention Lawn Mowing Guys:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Given the moths limited lifespan and it's natural in-ability to travel extended distances exactly where do you think they came from?

People

Engage your Brains and use some common sense and get an education about what you do for a living.

WHAT IS THE LIFE CYCLE OF THE ARMYWORM AND AT WHAT STAGE DOES IT DO DAMAGE TO TURF??????

yamadooski
07-21-2011, 07:16 AM
Wow and I thought that I was the only one that had applicators do the blame game.
When I tell the customer and Tru Brown and Scotts that I have been doing this for 19 years and then direct to the best grass web site on the planet which is the University of Florida.
They say we can cut as low as 3.5 inches.
10 years ago they all used to say the blades are not sharp enough. Now its you are not cutting high enough.
On one street we do 12 house in a row. Its real funny cause there are 8 different fertilizer companies. So of course the Scotts and Tru Brown customers come out this season and tell me that they were told Im cutting to low. I then take them and show them the deck and then take them to and show them the rest of the houses done by Plant it Earth, Keepers of the green and Four Seasons, ect.
The look on their faces are amazing. It just goes to show you how stupid people can be. Therefore I have conlcuded that most fert and squirt guys dont have a clue as to what they are doing and they must be a demorcrat and blame others for their mistake or under under knowledge.

jvanvliet
07-21-2011, 04:48 PM
People

Engage your Brains and use some common sense and get an education about what you do for a living.

WHAT IS THE LIFE CYCLE OF THE ARMYWORM AND AT WHAT STAGE DOES IT DO DAMAGE TO TURF??????

I'm pretty sure it's no more than a few months from egg to pupae to mating. Damage is incurred in the larvae stage.

The following is no reflection on you Ric, I know you are a real pro...

I got Hullet telling the (HOA) I'm responsible for telling the PM if I see signs of infestation or pathogens. F-er ought to inspect the property and treat accordingly. He's the one with the education and license, right? Truth is most of these jerks from the major fert & squirt outfits don't know jack about entomology or pathogenesis. The guy with the shirt and tie on has one.

I got a-holes from Hullet, Scotts, you name it pumping N on properties at incredible rates... grass growing 4-6 inches or more in ten day and they think it's great. Problem is when I have to cut it, I'm only supposed to take 1/3rd... it's at least 8" tall. I ain't cutting to 4.5 or the highest settings, (I cut to 4" year round). Much more than that & it's too tall, the moisture gets trapped at the base of the roots & thatch without sun and that creates a whole set of other problems.

I'm not even going to start the rant regarding the jerks that continue to water in the midst of a monsoon. Dropped an account- dipwit waters every day. My tires sunk into the turf and I said adios after I told him to turn his water off ten times.

I treat & fertilize the ornamentals; they are doing just fine thank you.

Ric
07-21-2011, 06:14 PM
I'm pretty sure it's no more than a few months from egg to pupae to mating. Damage is incurred in the larvae stage.

The following is no reflection on you Ric, I know you are a real pro...

I got Hullet telling the (HOA) I'm responsible for telling the PM if I see signs of infestation or pathogens. F-er ought to inspect the property and treat accordingly. He's the one with the education and license, right? Truth is most of these jerks from the major fert & squirt outfits don't know jack about entomology or pathogenesis. The guy with the shirt and tie on has one.

I got a-holes from Hullet, Scotts, you name it pumping N on properties at incredible rates... grass growing 4-6 inches or more in ten day and they think it's great. Problem is when I have to cut it, I'm only supposed to take 1/3rd... it's at least 8" tall. I ain't cutting to 4.5 or the highest settings, (I cut to 4" year round). Much more than that & it's too tall, the moisture gets trapped at the base of the roots & thatch without sun and that creates a whole set of other problems.

I'm not even going to start the rant regarding the jerks that continue to water in the midst of a monsoon. Dropped an account- dipwit waters every day. My tires sunk into the turf and I said adios after I told him to turn his water off ten times.

I treat & fertilize the ornamentals; they are doing just fine thank you.

Yo

And the point here is Moths flying out of the turf doesn't necessarily require a pesticide treatment. Remember the first rules of IPM. I Pay Materials.

From My personal observations it is not the well educated Spray tech that makes it in the Big Box companies. Rather it is the Idiot who doesn't have a clue that can baffle the customer with BS. 30 years in the business and they are still asking First day questions while telling everyone how many accounts and how important they are.

Landscape Poet
07-21-2011, 10:57 PM
I got Hullet telling the (HOA)

I got a-holes from Hullet,

You had me at Hullet.....I have not had good experience with them. From loss of turf from insects to heavy N apps....everything I had posted about before in my experience they offer with their program.

The small independents seem to be much better if they have been in the game for awhile. Too new and they are still learning and growing and trying to gain market share by offering True brown pricing you get true brown results.
Getting a small independent company that has been in business for awhile tends to yield better results as they are seem to take your call a little more seriously if you call and inform them what you are seeing on a property. They are more likely to work hand and hand with you to deliver the best result for the customer. For example I had a independent ask recently what day I mow a property because they keep experiencing sedge on a property and wanted to ensure the sedge was easy to see and wanted the turf grown out...and wanted me to ensure that I did not cut for 4 days after the treatment to allow time for the agent to set in. We worked together by them letting me know what days they could treat and I notified the client that I would be moving there normal mowing date by two days.
I do not have a issue with the L & O guys , in fact I appreciate the work they perform because it makes mine stand out that much more, but it is a two way street and playing the blame game on the lawn guy gets me fired up if what they are saying is not true.

Stillwater
07-21-2011, 11:31 PM
People

ric why in the heck would you use my post in a disparageing way. I said nothing about army worm/lawn damage but you imply I did. All I posted was a question.

greendoctor
07-22-2011, 02:34 AM
The only comment I hear from the mowing guys I team up with is about how healthy and thick the lawn is on my program. Granules do not work the same. I frequently see issues with height of cut, however those are always addressed with the mowing guys directly. They are never picked apart if the actual issue is that I am behind on fertilizing or there is a situation with the irrigation system. It is very much a two way street. They know quite well that I will own up to anything that is related to my end of the deal.

It is also true that if one truly knows and understands lawn and ornamental treatment, he does not fit in well with the big companies or any company for that matter. Someone like me is normally management's worst nightmare. I do things right. Not cheap, not under the wrong conditions and not just because someone else told me to do something right now. In fact the words "right now" when conditions are wrong gets clients fired right now.

Ric
07-22-2011, 08:44 AM
ric why in the heck would you use my post in a disparageing way. I said nothing about army worm/lawn damage but you imply I did. All I posted was a question.

Stillwater

Your above statement suggests that people treat just because they see Moths flying out of the turf. Most Insecticides are not Ovicidal and therefore would be a total waste of materials and Labor.

Ric
07-22-2011, 09:04 AM
The only comment I hear from the mowing guys I team up with is about how healthy and thick the lawn is on my program. Granules do not work the same. I frequently see issues with height of cut, however those are always addressed with the mowing guys directly. They are never picked apart if the actual issue is that I am behind on fertilizing or there is a situation with the irrigation system. It is very much a two way street. They know quite well that I will own up to anything that is related to my end of the deal.

It is also true that if one truly knows and understands lawn and ornamental treatment, he does not fit in well with the big companies or any company for that matter. Someone like me is normally management's worst nightmare. I do things right. Not cheap, not under the wrong conditions and not just because someone else told me to do something right now. In fact the words "right now" when conditions are wrong gets clients fired right now.

Green

I said something very similar just yesterday in an other post. I believe I worded different. I said the Super Salesman who could Baffle the customer with BS, was what the Big Box types were looking for. Not the Knowledgeable spray tech. But Buds & Bows made an interesting statement I took to heart. He said ""It not what you know but how you USE what you know."" Some of the Upper management of the Big Box stores Know what is right but ignore it for God almighty Dollar which is a problem in all big business. BTW I also said there are many Former Big Box employees who only know how to BS and nothing about real yard care. They can only brag about how well they lie and how many accounts the lie to.

Let us look at the Financial rewards from both kinds of Business. You can do Million gross and keep 10% with all the headaches. Or you can do $ 200K and keep 50% or 60% and 1/10 the headaches. Having been in both places I now prefer the lesser Headache route where I only have myself to blame.

Think Green
07-22-2011, 09:13 AM
Original poster,
I can attest that it is a PITA! I look at your problem this way!!! " If it weren't for the idiot, untrained eye, podunks that don't know what they are doing, to shift money your way.!"
You can either take the call as a means of possible upsells or putting the customer on the alarm code. I tell all my customers to view their lawns on the week days that I am not there. It is like a preventative means of not paying a helper to stand on that lawn for a week and do nothing. I want my customers to show an interest in their lawn..........Hell, most don't care that they pour bleach, paint, thinners, out on their grass, so this would be a magnificent change of pace. At least we have something to monitor without pouring chemicals all over the place. I find that these same lawn services can only benefit your ongoing status as a real spray tech. Then only through you the customer can be educated and if the need arises,,,,,,,,,,,,,spray the crap out of that lawn and collect the money.
I know for a fact, that this time of the season.......armyworms are coming if not as of yet. The moths of these species have been flying around the blade tops. IF my customers only knew to ask and be curious before their lawn is devoured. The second round of armyworm is in August.............same info as above. Without this ignorant interest............where would we be without the unknowledgeable people.

FLAhaulboy
07-22-2011, 02:24 PM

I don't know much about lawn diseases (anymore) but can recognize when there is a problem on a lawn. I will tell the client about the prob but don't say xxx caused it. I used to spray long ago & am familiar with a lot of insects re lawn or plants. I end up discovering plenty of insect damage that the client's spraying service misses & I will point it out to the client. Most spraying services I know of, drop by and just spray randomly, don't look for insect damage. Spray the lawn but don't check the plants. Seems kind of dumb to me and doesn't have the client's best interest in preventing insects/diseases.

Stillwater
07-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Stillwater

Your above statement suggests that people treat just because they see Moths flying out of the turf. Most Insecticides are not Ovicidal and therefore would be a total waste of materials and Labor.

You think I am suggesting a treatment from my post are you serious? I certinly hope not for your sake.

jvanvliet
07-22-2011, 04:16 PM
I will look at the lawns & if I see "brown spot", evidence of cinch bug, take all root rot, etc. I'll tell the customer but with a caveat; "call your pest control co. and next time he's out, have him check to be sure".

Most of the time I'm right, I like to work with the squirt guys and everybody is better off, he looks good, I look good & we both look good when the lawns look good. Too bad many of the majors are just looking to sell treatments needed or not, fubar our environment and make the business environment more difficult for everybody.

Saw Hullet spraying N on the dipwits lawn I just fired for watering too much. Asked him what he's putting down he said 16% N... I asked what for, the grass is growing like hell :dizzy:, he said because she is on our monthly "plan". More like to come and get screwed plan.

The next guy stopped mowing because he had to use a 21" on account the tires on his mower sunk into the muck... he quit too. 1/3rd acre is lotta grass for a 21", wonder what he charged.