PDA

View Full Version : rock solid plugger

ant
10-23-2002, 08:15 PM
was on a job today and the lady next door had her lawn areated and it seemed that the guy used one of those cam driven plugger.it was a uniform pattern and a clean neet job.
might look into one...
any input? size ,cost?
anthony

65hoss
10-23-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by ant
was on a job today and the lady next door had her lawn areated and it seemed that the guy used one of those cam driven plugger.it was a uniform pattern and a clean neet job.
might look into one...
any input? size ,cost?
anthony

I think I've seen those around before. ;)

LAWNGODFATHER
10-23-2002, 09:00 PM
Did you see the guy doing it or just guessing?

ant
10-23-2002, 09:05 PM
just guessing.
ant

LAWNGODFATHER
10-23-2002, 09:10 PM
Reason I asked was because it is almost impossable to tell by the pattern. I demoed a Pluggr and cannot tell the difference even side by side with my Classen.

ant
10-23-2002, 09:24 PM
it was a perfect pattern

LAWNGODFATHER
10-23-2002, 09:27 PM
For all we know it was a Ryan Lawnair 28.

Mowwithhustler's
10-23-2002, 09:40 PM
yeah u can tell a diif between the cam driven plugger and the others casue the pattern is like way diff

LAWNGODFATHER
10-23-2002, 09:45 PM
Welcome to LS

Enlighten us then.

A peffect pattern would be easier obtained by a wheel/drum rather than a cam driven.

Tony Harrell
10-24-2002, 07:23 AM
What is the msrp of the rock solid models? btw-I saw some awesome plugs yesterday at a country club home, they were at least 2.5", maybe more. Of course, what would you expect after all the rain we've had.

Kent Lawns
10-24-2002, 05:17 PM
Real easy to tell: The corners

On the drum units, the holes elongate in turns and the turf is torn slightly.

With the cam (Plugr or LA 28) the plugs are generally deeper, cleaner and the pattern in the corners is easily identifiable.

Mowwithhustler's
10-24-2002, 05:48 PM
yes man u can tell the difference between the 2 the cam driven plugger throws a nice deep plug and is awsome they use like a u digging formula to work they work great

LAWNGODFATHER
10-24-2002, 09:01 PM
Ah ha.....What if you lifted the tines then turned?

In the turns the Plugr would leave many more holes while making a turn.

So that mean "we" can only tell in the turns.

So a perfect patteren is what now?

Tony I think they are about the same as the Classen's price wise.

Mowwithhustler's, I didn't understand what you posted, again please elaberate. Kent did.

dlandscaping
10-24-2002, 10:30 PM
I just got my info from rocksolid last week, i sent them an email in may great service huh? Its a little late for an aerator now that we have been having 40- temps cant get a good seed in this late. I like the rocksolids from what i have read i have a bluebird now that broke down as i started my aerations. If i had the 2500-3500 now i would buy one in a heart beat. I think ill sell the broken bluebird and by a rocksolid.

Tony Harrell
10-25-2002, 06:11 AM
I got my Plug'r package complete with video in just a couple of days. Don't know why it took you so long. My only reservation is, how will it handle a steep bank?

Oldtimer
10-27-2002, 10:24 PM
The Plugr is considered to be the best of the best on slopes. I will
have a demo in the shop next week and plan to put it to the test.

I just sold a Walker Perferator to one of my commercial customers and when we raised the covers, there was a great big plugr crankshaft hidden inside.

Jim
Pensacola, Florida
www.sevillelawn.com

LAWNGODFATHER
10-27-2002, 10:41 PM
Hummm maybe we can talk Hoss into a side by side comparison.

The first Lawnsite/Turf mag uses demo. Maybe Jim can publish it too.

Obtaining the "Perfect Pattern".......

Classen reg drive. (mine)

Classen Split drive (maybe captdevo or anyone within a few hours of Memphis Tenn)

Plugr (Hoss)

Ryan 28

Ryan lawn air lV

Blue Bird

Turfco

What else am I missing?

bruces
10-27-2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Oldtimer
The Plugr is considered to be the best of the best on slopes. I will
have a demo in the shop next week and plan to put it to the test.

I just sold a Walker Perferator to one of my commercial customers and when we raised the covers, there was a great big plugr crankshaft hidden inside.

Jim
Pensacola, Florida
www.sevillelawn.com

I'm not sure why the Plugr is considered the best on slopes, unless you are talking about going down. Going up is something of a pain if the slope is very steep.

strickdad
10-28-2002, 12:20 AM
we got one early this year and have had considerable problems with it. we have a 600 and we have broken 4 cables since the end of aug. (i fixed this by making a bracket to raise the cable up, more in line with the pull arm. i copied this from the new 800 ) we had to replace the pull arm going to the "plastic" idler pulley. it was allowing the idler to "****" sideways and eating drive belts. (2 sets) the tines would always come loose and back off. (i fixed this by adding lock washers under the jam nuts on the tines) it slung out 2 set screws on the end bearing caps (replced and used "locktite". it slung out a set screw on the inside pulley on the engine (not rocksolids fault) the engine was a 5.5 honda and was put on by the honda dist. as far as hills are concerned they dont go up them, you dont want to be holding on if they are going down them! but they will do a good job on them from side to side. as far as flat ground they are more manuevrable than anything out there(including split drives) they pull a better core than anything i have seen so far. but they are slower than a drum type. not to slow though. (a good pace for an old man like my self) would i buy another? no. not a 600 the new 800 i would they are alot better and they got the above design flaws out...

1st Class Lawns
10-28-2002, 08:50 AM
I have a PL800 with the Honda engine. It basically has to be pushed up steep hills (if you can) and the oil sensor on the Honda shuts itself off going across the same hill. I wish I had got a B and S. You have to go up the hills at a angle. Moderate inclines and flat areas, no question about it, its the easiest aerator I have ever used.
James

65hoss
10-28-2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by JAMES WOMBLE
I have a PL800 with the Honda engine. It basically has to be pushed up steep hills (if you can) and the oil sensor on the Honda shuts itself off going across the same hill. I wish I had got a B and S. You have to go up the hills at a angle. Moderate inclines and flat areas, no question about it, its the easiest aerator I have ever used.
James

I have the Honda's and learned how to go sideways on hills. Tip the aerator back a little and overfill the oil just slightly. It will be more than enough to keep the sensor from shutting down the unit. I did this on both my Plugrs and it solved the problem.

Up and down hills will not really work with a plugr. You must go side to side. It holds pretty steep inclines ok.

strickdad
10-28-2002, 12:54 PM
as far as the honda is concerned, hoss says you can over fill the crankcase a little and this will work. you can also unplug the sensor too. (hondas dont use any oil anyway..)james you said you would rather have the b&s? you may say that now but 3 years from now the b&s will be shot, and the honda will still be cranking on the first pull...