PDA

View Full Version : Light Duty Chipper

Strongmd
10-23-2002, 10:15 PM
We're not an actual tree company, but we frequently have a need for a chipper with more and more of our pruning jobs. Does anyone have a chipper or other tool that makes pruning debris easy to handle?
Is any familiar with this chipper
http://www.wikco.com/WoodproAVP.html
or a similar type?
It looks interesting to me, but I have never seen one around.
May be a POS.
Any input is appreciated.

LAWNGODFATHER
10-23-2002, 11:05 PM
Vermeere

Mobark

Brushbandit

Gravely

and a few others make 6" chippers.

For the money I like Gravely's with the chipper on a turning platter.

Strongmd
10-23-2002, 11:08 PM
I'm looking for a small chipper because we tow an enclosed trailer and it's a pita when we need a chipper. It's a dilemma. Do we take a chipper and throw the tools in the truck? OR take the enclosed trailer and run back for the chipper? I know that the chipper I'm referring to is very light duty, but I like the idea of throwing all the small pruning in as well. Look at this pic. This could be carried in the enclosed trailer.
http://www.vandermolencorp.com/NAVFRAME-6.htm

LAWNGODFATHER
10-23-2002, 11:21 PM
Bring the junk back with you then shred it.

Strongmd
10-23-2002, 11:30 PM
Do you really think that makes sense? That seems like a huge waste of time to me. I find that prunings, especially chippable prunings, can become a tangled mess if you put them together and then try to pull them apart. Also, on a very large job, I'll be making 4 -5 trips un-chipped to each single chipped load (and that's just a guesstimate). Just throwing out thoughts here.

J-mike
10-24-2002, 01:30 AM
If you're only worried about clippings and small branches 3" or less, Homedepot sell a small, cheap 10hp chipper/shredder for between $500 and $600.

It isn't vary large and will fit IN the trailer.

Just a thought.

brudot
10-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Vermeere

Mobark

Brushbandit

Gravely

and a few others make 6" chippers.

For the money I like Gravely's with the chipper on a turning platter.

Does anyone know anything about a Gravely Pro Chip 310 Wood Chipper? Are they any good and are parts still available? I've tried to research them on the internet but can't find much.

Guzman Properties
10-08-2007, 04:08 PM
Bear Cat 3" Chipper/Shredder - Model 70050

I am a solo op, this is what I use for small limbs and pruning jobs. Works great, I place it on my open trailer with mesh sides and chip away.

All_Toro_4ME
10-08-2007, 05:16 PM
I don't trim trees, but we do have a lot of tornados here in Oklahoma. For that reason, I bought a Simplicity 8 hp chipper to help clean up after the storms with the tree damage. Its very powerful and does a fine job. Not sure what your needs are though. It comes with a bag to bag the debris as well. And it will fit in the trailer.

cgaengineer
10-08-2007, 05:30 PM
We have a cheap a$$ MTD and it does fine on green wood up to about 2.5 inches and it has a hopper for smaller clippings. Complete with a bagger I think it was about $400. If you try to put some "weathered", not rotten oak it will really have a tough time, but for clippings as you describe it should work great.

topsites
10-08-2007, 05:40 PM
From what I've seen this is where a dump bed truck comes in handy, most of the guys I see using chippers tow the chipper then aim the chute into the bed and voila.

For the time being I might just check out that $400 Mtd myself, I bet that would help in my case, it's either that or $40 dump fee, only thing I have to remember now is to start charging the fee whether I take it to the dump or not, seeing how either way it has to be dealt with... Believe me you ain't seen my pile, but no I don't want to see yours :laugh:

As for the trailer, so long the chipper doesn't weigh much more than 3000 pounds you should be gtg on single axles thou I'd recommend heavy duty radial tires, you'll need to check the GVWR and do some math, and of course it needs to self-propel, wonder if there are any like that?
Well shoot, then you still have to leave the chipper behind afterwards :laugh:
That might could work out thou, just pick it up en-route to something another day.

On another note, does the chipped stuff serve any purpose?
What I mean is can it be used as anything other than wait for it to become topsoil?
That's been my plan, wait 2-3 years then re-sell the dirt, but geez...

All_Toro_4ME
10-09-2007, 10:31 AM
Topsites, yea you can use it for mulch for flowerbeds, landscaping projects etc, but depending on what you mulch, it can come out various colors, if you mulch different types of tree branches, shrubs etc, which may or may not be an issue to the cust when applying to their beds.

Dunn's
10-09-2007, 11:07 AM
We have this machine for sale

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=158785&highlight=chipper+snapper

Should be about what you are looking for if not thanks for looking.

cgaengineer
10-09-2007, 12:11 PM
From what I've seen this is where a dump bed truck comes in handy, most of the guys I see using chippers tow the chipper then aim the chute into the bed and voila.

For the time being I might just check out that $400 Mtd myself, I bet that would help in my case, it's either that or $40 dump fee, only thing I have to remember now is to start charging the fee whether I take it to the dump or not, seeing how either way it has to be dealt with... Believe me you ain't seen my pile, but no I don't want to see yours :laugh:

As for the trailer, so long the chipper doesn't weigh much more than 3000 pounds you should be gtg on single axles thou I'd recommend heavy duty radial tires, you'll need to check the GVWR and do some math, and of course it needs to self-propel, wonder if there are any like that?
Well shoot, then you still have to leave the chipper behind afterwards :laugh:
That might could work out thou, just pick it up en-route to something another day.

On another note, does the chipped stuff serve any purpose?
What I mean is can it be used as anything other than wait for it to become topsoil?
That's been my plan, wait 2-3 years then re-sell the dirt, but geez...

Topsites, the one we have is this model http://cgi.ebay.com/MTD-chipper-shreader-mulcher-5-HP-5-horse-power_W0QQitemZ280159345601QQihZ018QQcategoryZ42228QQcmdZViewItem Dont know if you can find one somewhere but ours is about 5-6 years old, maybe older?

ed2hess
10-09-2007, 10:21 PM
We had a 10hp Troy bilt chipper.....not good for much of anything except playing around. We replaced it with a Vermeere with a 20hp but seldom take it out any more because it is too much trouble. Much easier to rent a big trailer with sides and haul it to one of these free places that make mulch. When we have a really big job we got a huge Vermeer and chipped it into those big trailer long garbage containers that BFI deliver.

General Landscaping
10-10-2007, 09:12 AM
Chippers..... go big or go home. Those non-powerfeed things are for people that have time to stand around holding a stick.

One thing that makes hauling brush better is my long hedge clippers. Just run the clippers through the fluffy stuff once it's in the trailer.

ECHO4LIFE
10-11-2007, 11:27 PM
Check out the ECHO Bearcat line. Their product are commercial quality and carry a great warranty. ECHO recently purchased them so they have to be top notch.

txgrassguy
10-12-2007, 09:56 AM
My crews use a pto mounted chipper on my compact 4X4 tractor. Paid $1500 for the cheapo chinese unit and with a few judicious adjustments it works okay.
The best thing is we end up chipping tree debris in the damnest of places where a truck and chipper wouldn't fit so the tractor chugs out there.
I can tell you that unit is definitely chinese made, cheap hardware and all of that but I have gotten my money's worth out of it.