PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed trailers

Shady Brook
10-23-2002, 09:16 PM
I am looking at enclosed trailers, not sure which brand to get. One thing I know, I would like to be able to get a 52 rider, and a 36" machine side by side at the rear of the trailer. I need to fit them in behind the wheel wells, or at least enough of the rider so that the 36" fits also. Will an 18 foot enclosed car hauler work, or are the wheels to far back to allow what I want? Can someone give me an idea of what size will work for me, and opinions on brands of trailers are appreciated.

Thanks
Jay

LAWNGODFATHER
10-23-2002, 09:31 PM
36" + 52" = 88" + 2" for side skirts of mowers = 90".

102" is the max legal width of a vehical.

Why would you want them both at the back of the trailer?

www.welscargo.com

HarryD
10-23-2002, 09:36 PM
so you want to put them in the front side by side . why is the first question . if you do try to put them this way your gunna need a 8ft wide trailer

Ryan Lightning
10-23-2002, 09:41 PM
I dont think it will work unless you go with the 102" max. (8 1/2 feet).
Im guessing a 8ft wide would be a few inchs less on the inside than 8ft(96") plus the door way will be even a few more inches less. Probally around 92"? , making it pain to get your mowers in and out.

Shady Brook
10-23-2002, 09:43 PM
Yeah, I realize I need an 8.5 wide trailer. I need the shortest one I can get, though I would love the room. The reason is the tight areas, I work. I think an 18 footer would work, but only if I can go with a 52 and 36 in the very back. This would allow another tier of mowers, and some odds and ends at the front of the trailer. I would like to have room for a bench, and compressor, stuff like that up front. I just don't know if I have room to go across the back on an 18 due to axle placement.

Thanks guys
Jay

IBGreen
10-23-2002, 09:43 PM
If you are going to buy an enclosed trailer (which I think is a wonderful idea) then get a Pace trailer. Every thing is bigger and thicker on them don't settle for anything else.

Brandon Shaw
Evergreen Landscaping Concepts

Shady Brook
10-23-2002, 09:51 PM
For clarification:

My concern is wheel well placement in relation to the back door/gate. I know I will need an 8.5 wide, but how long of trailer will I need, to have the abilty to put those 2 machines side by side behind the wheel wells, ie. nearest the back gate? I am sure I did not explain very well, the length of trailer is my biggest concern. Thanks for the info on the Pace, anyone heard of Roadmaster?

Jay

Green Pastures
10-23-2002, 10:07 PM
I have an 8' wide trailer which was the widest they offered.....and there is no way you could get a 52" rider and a 36" w/b in side by side. I know, I have a 52" Z-Master and a 36" w/b.

I'm not sayin you couldn't get a 8.5' wide, just that "Competitor" brand didn't offer one, at least where I bought mine.

I'm sure you could get them in a 18'x8' (one in front and the other behind it) with plenty of room for some tools in the front though. You can always order a trailer with a shelf, or build in the shelves/cabinets yourself. You do want 60% of the weight in the front 50% of the trailer though for balance and braking, so I do know it would not be wise to consistently load a trailer tail heavy.

Remember there is alot of headroom in these enclosed trailers that is not used. The walls are useable for storage and the ceiling. You can hang ladders, rakes, spreaders, trimmers. Think it over.

The biggest thing is not to load it tail heavy all the time. I always park my 52" Z-Master or the Walker at the very front of my trailer, then a w/b, then another, then the push mower. My walls are full of "stuff".

Scott

hoagie
10-23-2002, 11:11 PM
LGF said it... wells cargo. Best enclosed trailers made... most expensive too. Haulmark makes a decent enclosed, and in my opinion, Pace American are rather crappy... but affordable.

KirbysLawn
10-23-2002, 11:21 PM
Pace the best? Humm.

Maybe it's time to look at Wells Cargo or Haulmark...much better trailers. And yes, I've owned a Pace also.

HarryD
10-24-2002, 01:27 AM
I think your all wrong . I think H&H makes the best enclosed and will make it any way you want it . plus rivetless sides make it much nicer for grafics on the sides

http://www.hhtrailer.com/

Alan Bechard
10-24-2002, 07:51 AM
I bought a Detro trailer, 16 X 7 Barn doors Nice trailer I believe made by United and private labeled. $3250 brand new. Dexter torflex axels brakes on both, breakaway kit, interior lights, tie downs new Goodyear tires. Dan Detro is in your general area and delivers free or at real low charge.

His price was unbeatable in my area, as far as quality goes his was on par with all of them.

I can get his phone # off my trailer if you would like it. E-mail me direct.

Al B

captdevo
10-24-2002, 08:02 AM
there's alot of trailer mfg's, look around....i do want to comment on loads....

unless you have something in front of the axles of an equal or greater weight, it's gonna tow like crap!!!

Green Pastures
10-24-2002, 09:52 AM
Captn Devo,

Thank's for backing me up on that load business. I think that is the most important point to make to this gentleman. Putting the load at the back of the trailer is NOT safe.

Scott

Shady Brook
10-24-2002, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the comments on load position. I know you guys are correct. I will be hauling 5 machines likely. One rider, possibly two, with 3 walkbehinds and a 21". I should have two walkbehinds, and the 21 infront of the wheel wells, or at least partially infront. I will have most all other tools, stick tools, and other stuff up front. I believe I will have more weight in front of the axle with the setup I have in mind. I could be wrong though. I appreciate your thoughts, I am sure there are things I am forgeting.

Ok, for those with 18' enlcosed, how many feet from the back gate are your wheel wells? I figure I will need about 6' from the gate to the well to have that setup, does anyone know?
Thanks
Jay

KirbysLawn
10-24-2002, 10:45 AM
My trailer does not have wheel wells inside, just a flat floor.

Randy Scott
10-24-2002, 11:06 AM
Trailers can only be 102" wide max. From outside tire to tire. When you get to the 8 and 8.5 wide trailers, there is going to be wheel well inside. Unless you go to snowmobile trailers, then they have no inside wheel well but they are extremely high off the ground.

I have an 8.5' x 20' enclosed. Without measuring inside, I can tell you for a fact that you will NOT get two mowers side by side behind the wheel wells. From the end of the wheel wells to the rear door is only about 5'. I would imagine an 18 footer will be even less. I have a 60" Lazer and the deck HAS to be at least past the end of the wheel wells to close the rear door. I can't imagine the 52" Z being 10 or 12 inches shorter than a 60".

I tell you, there isn't as much room in these trailers as one thinks. There is NO way you will get 2 Z's, three walkbehinds, and a 21" pusher in an 18 footer much less a 20 footer. Maybe, maybe a 20 footer, but highly unlikely.

I can take some measurements of mine today and reply back tonite even though it's a 20 footer and not an 18. Should give you an idea.

Shady Brook
10-24-2002, 11:22 AM
Super post Randy, that is the kind of info I need.

Does not sound like an 18 or 20 would work in the way I hoped. When I wrote that I might have two riders, that would eliminate one walkbehind, and maybe 2. For now I have the 3 walkbehinds plus rider I would like to carry. I think a 24 would have room behind the wells, but it is awful long. I may go that route, but will have to give it alot more thought. When hauling, can you see around that 8.5 wide at all? I am sure it will pose some challenges, but nothing terrible. Maybe I should just get a 40 foot goose neck with living quarters and be done with it. :p

Thanks so much fellas
Jay

PS. Randy, if you could get a quick measurement, that would be very helpful, oh, and if you could measure the total length of the well, that would be great also.

Gravely_Man
10-24-2002, 11:28 AM
Best of luck on the enclosed trailer purchase. The Wells Cargo or Haulmark are definitely worth checking out. As other have also pointed out check the load balancing or the trailer will be tongue light or heavy which results in towing in an unsafe manner.

Gravely_Man

Doc Pete
10-24-2002, 11:50 AM
I'm having a custom trailer built with a rear ramp door (normal) plus a "side ramp door". This will let put my Rider straight in from the side. and drive my WB's straight in from the rear. also, this let me, if need be to bring my WB in on the side door and put it next to the rider, sideways, and still have room for the other WB straight in from the rear.
With two ramps I can pull the Rider off, or the WB's off without having to take one or other off first to get it out of the way. The trailer will only need to be 7'x16',
Pete

Ryan Lightning
10-24-2002, 12:21 PM
Have them put a side ramp the same size as the back ramp. That might make it easyer to arrange your mowers.

10-24-2002, 03:42 PM
I started out with a enclosed trailer ( Horton Hauler ) 6.5X12 drive up ramp and a 30 inch door up front. I carry a 42" wb 21" self pace and a 52" ztr in mine. Two cycle equipment in a rack on the wall. Great for security but if you need mulch for a job you can't use it. I bought a 6.5X14 tandum open trailer with landscape basket and electric brakes. Since then I don't use the enclosed anymore. Open trailer pulls better and with the brakes stops better as to be expected. I also use it for mulch jobs and to haul off debris. Something else to think about with the enclosed trailer during the summer.........HEAT!

Just my thoughts guy's.
:)

rcav8er
10-24-2002, 04:56 PM
I have build a couple enclosed trailers in the past. If your concerned about placement of the wheels heres a easy way to figure it out. All commercial built trailers use the same formula for wheel and axle placement. Look at the total lenth of the trailer, tug included and the axle will be placed at 60% of the total length. If your looking at a 18' trailer the tounge will be approx. 4' in length. Total length of 22' , the axle will be placed at approx 13.2' from the tounge. This will give you about 8.8' aft of the axles to work with.
Hope this helps?

Randy Scott
10-24-2002, 05:21 PM
Photo of empty trailer.
From rear of wheelhouse to back door = 57 inches

Width between wheelhouses = 82 inches

Total length of wheelhouse = 72 inches

Rear door opening = 89 inches

From wall to wall width inside trailer = 95 inches

My 60" Lazer extends about 2 1/2 feet PAST the wheelhouses whille clearing the backdoor by an inch.

Randy Scott
10-24-2002, 05:32 PM
Photo of loaded trailer.

Randy Scott
10-24-2002, 05:42 PM
Here's another.

Randy Scott
10-24-2002, 05:50 PM
Hey, can you guess who just learned how to post pictures? I knew I'd get it one of these rainy days.:)

Shady Brook
10-24-2002, 08:40 PM
Randy,

Super pictures, that is a great setup, and nice cammera. I am thinking from the design of my rider, I would need at least 67 inches from well to the back door. Looks like I would need a 24 to accomadate, or try the Switchless suggestion. Man, that 20 foot trailer sure gets small fast, wow! I can not imagine having all the junk I mentioned plus some in that trailer, let alone an 18.

You guys are great, I truely appreciate the great and many responses. Now to mull it over, and produce the cash to buy one.

:) Thanks
Jay

Shady Brook
10-25-2002, 07:27 PM
Just a thought, but has anyone ever built up the floor so that it ramped over the wheel wells, to maximise floor space. You would give up a bit of trailer height, but you would not have to worry about dealing with the elevated wheel wells. It seems you could have the ramp begin soon as you are inside the trailer, almost a continues ramps. I guess it depends on what you haul as to how you would construct the floor. Anyone ever do this, or is it sheer maddness on my part?

Thanks
Jay

LAWNGODFATHER
10-25-2002, 07:38 PM
It's not madness, they are just not designed for lawncare.

Plus they have weight limits, and they are twice as heavy as a regular utility trailer.

Try it, shouldn't cost to much.

TurfGuyTX
10-25-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by IBGreen
If you are going to buy an enclosed trailer (which I think is a wonderful idea) then get a Pace trailer. Every thing is bigger and thicker on them don't settle for anything else.

Brandon Shaw
Evergreen Landscaping Concepts

You must be seeing different Pace trailers than me. The one's I've encountered are less quality trailers. Haulmark and Wells Cargo are more expensive and better built.

HarryD
10-25-2002, 11:16 PM
one of these days H&H will get some looking at

http://www.hhtrailer.com/indexmain.html

heres the trailer jesse james from west coast harley just got and then tricked out for hauling scooters

Randy Scott
10-26-2002, 12:13 AM
Gotta, gotta, gotta, compare apples to apples here. All the trailer manufacturers are producing different quality levels of trailers in similair sizes within themselves. I've had Pace and Haulmark. The Pace I had was nicer than my current Haulmark. Although I know I didn't purchase the better of the Haulmarks as I did with the Pace. Live & learn I guess. It's the little things that add up. Quality of trim, edging pieces, fit and finish, hardware, etc..