PDA

View Full Version : QR Codes - How to use them for marketing

steveparrott
07-19-2011, 09:57 AM
I know many on the forum know about QR Codes, but in case you don't, here's what they are and how to use them for marketing your business.

About 1/3 of all adults now have smart phones. Of this number, millions are discovering QR Codes. These are 2-D barcodes that can be scanned by free scanner aps. Upon scanning, they can show text, contact info, and web links.

How to use QR Codes:
Place a prominant QR Code on all print ads, brochures, and job site signs.

Why use QR Codes:
Your QR Code will (at minimum) display a link to your website.

For example, someone gets your postcard in the mail. They see the QR Code, scan it into their iPhone and go directly to your website - much faster and easier than having to go to their desktop and type in your web address.

Another example, someone drives by one of your beautifully landscaped projects. They see a QR Code on your job site sign. They stop the car, lean out the window and scan it with their iPhone.

Eventually, all businesses will be using QR Codes. Be ahead of the curve.

How to get a QR Code:There are many expensive software products to produce sophisticated qr codes. Here's a free one that's more simple: http://qrcode.kaywa.com/

If you have a smart phone, download a free bar scanner ap and check out this example:

worx
07-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Hey Steve that is great stuff. So once you down load this Qr code does it need to remain a certain size on your signs or just large enough to be easily seen?

steveparrott
07-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Hey Steve that is great stuff. So once you down load this Qr code does it need to remain a certain size on your signs or just large enough to be easily seen?

Some smart phones scan better than others, but a good rule of thumb is 1:10.

That means if the phone is 10" away, the code needs to be 1" wide - that's a good size for printed pieces. You might even get away with 3/4".

If the code goes on your job site sign (near the side of the road), assume the person will be about 8 feet (96") away. That means your code would need to be about 9.6" wide.

worx
07-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Thanks again Steve, I don't have a smart phone, but I will be adding this to all of my print material.

Lite4
07-19-2011, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the link Steve. I am creating a marketing piece as we speak. Good timing.