PDA

View Full Version : Need help with ruts in yard

UTM-PIKE
10-23-2002, 11:04 PM
Alright, Im a little embarrassed about this subject. The reason is that I just did a job where I had about 40 tons of soil brought in and built up around a new inground pool. Seeded and Strawed. The problem was that the dump truck that brought the dirt in left several ruts in the ground (deep). When the day was done and I was ready to load up, I noticed these large ruts. Also, there are several ruts previous due to the equipment from the pool instal, last month. This customer is upset that he has had two contractors come in and there are still ruts in the yard, even though I was just building up around the pool, I added to the problem. I had a JD tractor with a 6 foot box blade and a front loader and couldnt do anything to smooth this area out. Now, this customer is impressed with my work that he paid me for and has already asked me to come back soon for more work. My question is, how can I make this right to him. What kind of machinery would be sufficient and in as cheap as possible to rent? I was thinking a tractor with a tiller on the back to break the ground up and try to smooth it out. Bobcat? Harley Rake? But remember, simple to use. THanks!

greenman
10-23-2002, 11:11 PM
Bring in some more dirt to fill in the ruts.

Green Pastures
10-23-2002, 11:21 PM
Just get bags of top soil from H.D. and fill em in, and seed. Bags of top soil are .98 cents each here.

Scott

mowngrow
10-24-2002, 12:41 AM
1) how big are the ruts
2)re-seed or sod
3)when these are answered then you can make a decision to till or haul in top soil and just fill in.

Mowwithhustler's
10-24-2002, 06:01 PM
well first feel in the ruts i mean that seams l;ike the easist thi g to do what do u think ah nah get u some men out thee with shovels and smooth it out

Alan
10-24-2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Mowwithhustler's
well first feel in the ruts i mean that seams l;ike the easist thi g to do what do u think ah nah get u some men out thee with shovels and smooth it out

In order to read that communication we will need the cypher key you used to encode it.

kppurn
10-24-2002, 08:28 PM
:laugh:

MPhillips
10-29-2002, 03:38 PM
hard to tell without seeing the ruts...usually fill with clean dirt, and seed or sod on top. I always throw a charge into any bid for clean-up and lawn repair..it happens all the time.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
10-29-2002, 06:41 PM
Why do you want a machine to do the job ??? If anything , depending on how long the ruts are I would just get your tractor back out there and bring in some fresh top soil and start at the back and work to the front using the loader to move the soil and men to grade.. This is how I do it , only with a skid steer... By the time you get to the street , the ruts are gone and the machine is out in the street... wallla..... now seed it or sod it and away we go....

AGLA
10-29-2002, 08:25 PM
Here is what I do:
Slice down the middle of the ruts. Peel the sod to the sides to expose the depression in the soil (like opening a shirt). Fill in the depression with any soil lumped to the side and add similar soil to level it out. Cover it back with the sod that you opened. Water the hell out of it and tamp it flat with a hand tamp. It looks like nothing ever happened and is really pretty fast, inexpensive, and instant results.

applehead
11-06-2002, 03:21 AM
1. sod cut your ruts
2. fill ruts with nice soil and make it level
3. tamp, add soil if needed
4. cover with sod that you saved
5. tamp
5. water it
6. keep swimmers off until rooted

applehead
11-06-2002, 03:27 AM
another thing you can do if the ruts are small or the soil is loose is to take a pitch fork and stick it under the ruts and lift up. You may need to use a shovel and this technique will not be as good as removing the sod.

AGLA
11-06-2002, 10:13 PM
I've done it Applehead's way too.

mdb landscaping
11-07-2002, 08:11 PM
if you do appleheads technique, you could spread some sand right on top of the grass and work it in with a rake. over time the sand will seep through the soil, and help fill the void.

dschulte
11-10-2002, 07:07 PM
What exactly is sod cutting and how do you do it?

mdb landscaping
11-10-2002, 07:14 PM
a sod cutter is used to take out portions of a lawn. you have a machine that cuts a piece of sod roughly 2 ft wide. the machine sort of vibrates under the grass and just gets the roots and shoots of the grass so it can be rolled up. usually a sod cutter is used to take out dead pieces of lawn, and put in new pieces of sod.

IBGreen
11-10-2002, 07:24 PM
Is mowwithhustler's farmer Fran from Waterboy?:D Just joking I do the same thing. I'm w/ AGLA on this one.

mdb landscaping
11-10-2002, 08:02 PM
its farmer FRED! lol