PDA

View Full Version : is tgcl really that bad?

f350
10-24-2002, 12:18 AM
well are they? did you do in the ball park of $900,000,000 last year or this year, how about any year? do you have at least 1 operating branch in all 50 states?

well what makes YOU so good? what makes YOU so different?

Runner
10-24-2002, 02:49 PM
Are they really that bad. No! They do as GREAT as ANY good MARKETING company should.:rolleyes: That, afterall, is what they are. We could do 900,000,000 insales also if we had the advertising and telemarketing they did. Along with that though, we could do that withOUT having th high percent of turnover, the very low customer retention rates and the cheapo material programs they deliver. Of course, we wouldn't be ripping off seniors and other people for profits though, either. All in all, no, I guesss they're NOT that bad at what they do.(key phrase - what they do) :rolleyes:

f350
10-24-2002, 04:09 PM
hooraaa!!! that was a great answer..... but lets remember, the greatest form of flatery is imitation.. i knew you would key this one up runner, i was baiting the guy's the slam these fella's, yet have a base of 50 or so accounts.. you know the ones that talk to a lesco rep for the first time, then when they leave lesco they have this " i know more attitude " tgcl has an actual research division, yes at times they do odd thing's, but they never and i mean NEVER

f350
10-24-2002, 04:10 PM
hooraaa!!! that was a great answer..... but lets remember, the greatest form of flatery is imitation.. i knew you would key this one up runner, i was baiting the guy's that slam these fella's, yet have a base of 50 or so accounts.. you know the ones that talk to a lesco rep for the first time, then when they leave lesco they have this " i know more attitude " tgcl has an actual research division, yes at times they do odd thing's, but they never and i mean NEVER do anything that is willingly against the law..

MATTHEW
10-24-2002, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by f350
hooraaa!!! that was a great answer..... but lets remember, the greatest form of flatery is imitation.. i knew you would key this one up runner, i was baiting the guy's that slam these fella's, yet have a base of 50 or so accounts.. you know the ones that talk to a lesco rep for the first time, then when they leave lesco they have this " i know more attitude " tgcl has an actual research division, yes at times they do odd thing's, but they never and i mean NEVER do anything that is willingly against the law..

Never? I've seen pre-m and insecticides applied to sidewalks and driveways and mulch beds. I've seen it alot. Never saw a guy blow them off. Never.

True, its odd to spray weed and feed in a deluge and fert over snow cover, but it is true that they would not be where they are without the marketing machine. Think of it. You get called over and over and over until you finally break down and say OK.
Who of us could do that to every number in the book?

f350
10-24-2002, 06:56 PM
thats our plan in 2003. the insecticide and such on the sidewalks is not a law that tgcl is breaking, it's an applicators violation... you and i both know that all tech's are schooled to clean up the mess.. matter of fact i still have my training manual right here..

wmsland
10-24-2002, 09:31 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but fertilizer, insecticide, etc, left on sidewalks or driveways is a violation of the law. You are using the product in a way for which it is not listed on the label, which is a violation of the law. If the product was listed for use on sidewalks you would be ok.

Casey
10-24-2002, 09:45 PM
The biggest problem that I can see is that no matter how much research a company can brag about, they still are limited by the people in the field. A couple of the customers that I picked up last year told me that they were offered free service by tgcl for the season due to the fact that the guy that was supposed to be spraying their yards the previous year had been caught dumping his truck into the storm drain instead of putting it on the yards. Not sure what types of qualifications they demand of their employees but more than once I have noticed them spraying in the wind and or rain, or 100+ degree heat. Evidentally neither rain, wind, nor blinding heat will stop them from their appointed rounds.

Kent Lawns
10-24-2002, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by f350
it's an applicators violation... you and i both know that all tech's are schooled to clean up the mess..

WHY you started this thread is beyond me.. but,

What do you get paid for at TGCL?
Customer service? no
Consciencous applications? no

They care about (by their pay)
1.) Sales (which they do very well)
2.) Daily production (which they do okay)

Yes, they have a training manual. Do they care about it? Nope, and their pay structure indicates that.

AND, you're only as good as your technician. Some tech's are totally pro, others are just there to collect a paycheck. When you have 2500 tech's, you're going to have some bad apples.
When people observe a bad tech or poor service, they broadbrush the whole company.

f350
10-24-2002, 10:40 PM
i started this tread for one purpose, time after time i read members post whining about trugreen. the ones whining cut grass and only cut grass. i wanted them to tell my why they are so bad?

Got Grass?
10-24-2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Casey
Evidentally neither rain, wind, nor blinding heat will stop them from their appointed rounds.

Or snow....

WoW never relized how much thay have in common with USPS...

Tony Harrell
10-25-2002, 07:11 AM
I see you got your "State of the industry" copy of lawn and landscape. TGCL, big deal. Just like anybody else, they're subject to the peter principle.

GarPA
10-25-2002, 08:15 AM
Are they "bad" or "good" depends on what you are measuring.

Successful company? ...from a pure revenue perspective yes

Do we know how much $$$$ they spend to fill the holes when half their clients drop them on a regular basis? Not really. Remember the rule about how costly it is to develop new clients instead of retaining the ones you have??

Chemical application? When you cut thru all the BS, they are basically about putting down as much quick N release as they can get away with. Most of the prop's I work on where they do the fert have very weak turf...no wonder, all they care about is the green look on top ...while the roots are anemic.
But Harry Homeowner doesn't "get it" so he keeps hring them after being exhausted from their bombardment of phone calls.

Are they "good"? Very good at marketing. Turf care? They could not care less about a single clients lawn....now if you ran your business that way how long would you be around?

They do not bother me one little bit....I choose not to market chem apps unless I'm asked to do it.(as I am often lately it seems...maybe people are starting to figure them out)

I dont care how much revenue they generate...unethical is unethical...period

ProMo
10-25-2002, 09:03 AM
I have a customer that used to have tgc ,I informed the customer that they had chinch bugs and she called tgcl to come spray well they came and told her it was a dry spot and left she called me and said she was billed for them comming to say i was wrong I drove over there and put about 20 of her bugs in a piece of celophane from a cig pack and taped it toi her door she no longer uses them and refused to pay them there maint div is a joke

MOW ED
10-25-2002, 09:14 AM
Up here they must be selling a new chemical application called Frostbuster. I see those goofs out at 7am dragging the hose over turf that is standing as hard as a wedding pri*k....

f350
10-25-2002, 11:47 AM
kent lawns,
"with 3 locations in the midwest" how do you handle your tech's?
what have you or your management staff done to ensure that every application done stay's in-line with all doa law's? does your staff do any spot audits daily to check quality and such?

greenman
10-25-2002, 11:49 AM
Those guys have actually applied granular fert when I was mowing a lawn. Actually, I was trimming and was going to mow after I trimmed, he came out there and ferted the whole lawn. He said"as long as your not bagging, there should be no problem." Then(I didnt know he was going to do this) after he ferted with granular, he applied liquid post-m to the whole yard. He was out there with his rubber boots on, I was wearing jeans and regular shoes. He didn't seem to care that I was there or about my safety. Just wasnted to get his quota and go home, I guess. He did actually post a flag on the lawn though, behind a corner shrub that was almost hidden form the road. Doorhanger info? No, at least I didnt see anything.

MATTHEW
10-25-2002, 10:04 PM
Exactly my point, Greenman.

If that was me, I'd have called the DOA on that one. :mad:

greenman
10-25-2002, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by MATTHEW
Exactly my point, Greenman.

If that was me, I'd have called the DOA on that one. :mad:

And the woman wont let me take over. She says tgcl is cheaper. Go figure.:rolleyes:

Her husband is a cheapskate. Hes so cheap that he aerates his lawn using a solid steel pole that is pointed on the end. He jabbs it in the ground every few inches or so. :D

Brickman
10-30-2002, 12:32 AM
Funny you should bring this up. I was giving it thought the last day or so.

Around here TGCL has been voted the "best lawn care company" for several years in a row. How they do it, I do not know. They aren't even a LC company. All they do here is dry/spray aps and WAY over charge for aerations. I had always wanted to be voted in. Well guess what? After I sell then I come out in 3rd place. The voting was done before I sold. For the stories I heard about the outfit that took 2nd I am surprised they got voted on at all.

But what can I say. The gal in the office at ChemLawn liked me and has given me close to $1500 or more in aps between last year and this year before I quit LC.

Runner
10-30-2002, 10:33 AM
Speaking of which, a neighbor down the road just had 1 1/2 acres of his trashed lawn aerated by tg/cl for $140.00 Unbelievable. I guess with that big John Deere tractor they use, they can do it for that. I DO know that his lawn has never looked worse.

kppurn
10-30-2002, 08:30 PM
I had an interview last evening for a part-time winter job.
The lady and I started talking about lawn care when she noticed I have my own LC business. She has been using TGCL for the past fifteen years. Every time she cancels for the next season (to go with someone else) they lower their price.:rolleyes:

MATTHEW
11-05-2002, 09:11 PM
That's because their chemical cost is a mere 10%.

Other expenses apply, but in this business, usually, a customer at any cost will reap profits.

Some of us are pressed for time, so we balk at dollars and cents.

No matter how you slice it up, lawncare profits surpass maintenance profits on any day of the week!