PDA

View Full Version : Spraying in the heat

Knightcasper
07-20-2011, 01:54 PM
We have had temps pushing 100 the last few days, with dew point in the mid 80s. I still see guys out there spraying. What is your take on this? Are they diluting the hell out of the chemical, or just praying they wont burn the lawn??

Runner
07-20-2011, 02:21 PM
That's EXACTLY what they do. For granular, they back the spreader way down to close to nothing. The only thing you will see going down right now at full rate on unirrigated lawns will be insecticides and fungicides. I see these companies out throwing down their fert, then it just sits there for 3 weeks without rain. They have to do it, though.

cgaengineer
07-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Dilute and pray. Most of my accounts do not irrigate.
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS
07-20-2011, 02:43 PM
I learned my lesson taking a PG on a lawn that was slightly crispy. Only spot sprayed, and put down .5 lbs N/K with 50% slow. It was the tracks of the PG that instigated a leaf blight outbreak, boy did that lawn look bad for a couple weeks. It has since come back pretty well, tracks no longer discernable.

But rule of thumb, lawn even a bit dormant, stay off!

indyturf
07-21-2011, 10:59 PM
I decided it was a good time to take a vacation and went to the beach. not coming back til next week when its suppose to cool down!

Smallaxe
07-22-2011, 11:57 AM
I was successful in convincing a client, that she did not want the lawn mowed... It may have grown a bit in the past week, but it had shrunk back, more... :)

Fert. in June, not again until Late August(if cool and wet enough), winterizer in Early-mid October and Broadleaf around Halloween(if wet enough)... That's about it, unless we need to spot-spray for braodleaf in the late spring as well...

Just a couple of days ago when we were predicted to come close to 100 degrees, here come the squirt and fert guys getting their money...

Young Bros
07-24-2011, 05:33 PM
When it's hot & raining still, we keep the w/c at full rate but cut back the liquid fert. (add more water). Now that it's hot & dry, we have switched to dry fert & spot spraying. We put the dry down lighter on dry lawns & normal on irrigated.

RigglePLC
07-24-2011, 05:42 PM
Spurge, purslane, oxalis, crab...you gotta spray the hot weather weeds when its hot.
I always reduced the fert rate for hot weather liquid aps. Avoids burn.

superiorlawnsofwestok
07-24-2011, 10:21 PM
Also helps to stop applications when daytime temps hit 95. Plants seal off and quit uptaking chemicals when it gets that hot. I spray early and late when this happens.

XLS
07-24-2011, 10:28 PM
more spraying today....and some fert but the rain arrived a few minutes ago....grow baby grow lol
Posted via Mobile Device

ted putnam
07-24-2011, 11:37 PM
We received almost an inch yesterday. First rain we've had in pretty close to a month. Have had a handful of days over 100, the rest upper 90's for the last 7 wks or so. Dry fert and spot spray at full rate, just a much quicker "wisk" across the weed.

Smallaxe
07-25-2011, 08:21 AM
We received almost an inch yesterday. First rain we've had in pretty close to a month. Have had a handful of days over 100, the rest upper 90's for the last 7 wks or so. Dry fert and spot spray at full rate, just a much quicker "wisk" across the weed.

So are those weeds soaking in the herbicide and dying? Which ones have not responded well?

ted putnam
07-25-2011, 09:21 PM
So are those weeds soaking in the herbicide and dying? Which ones have not responded well?

Broadleaf weeds respond well, grassy weeds other than NG, not so well. Remember, I don't spray drought stressed turf for the most part. Trust me, if weeds weren't being taken care of or I was destroying turf, I would hear about it. I've been doing this a very long time and I absolutely hate service calls, especially if something I or one of my guys did is the reason for it.

corbster
08-02-2011, 04:27 AM
:p:p:p:p:p

XLS
08-02-2011, 07:24 AM
all of the spraying we did back a few weeks ago turned out well. it has got hotter and drier since that time but the weeds responded to the treatment ok. the weeds died it just is taking longer due to the slower uptake of the chemicals.

We currently have only 1 questionable lawn, it was yellowing last friday so i think it is good but it is about a week behind the rest
Posted via Mobile Device