PDA

View Full Version : $40 gate assist

Agape
07-21-2011, 02:38 AM
Don't know why I didn't do this sooner.:confused:

StihlMechanic
07-21-2011, 03:32 AM
I did the same thing with the same garage door springs. Had right at $40 in it, too. I ran the cable through the spring just in case it snapped. Best $40 bucks I ever spent.

Falcon50EX
07-21-2011, 06:21 AM
Looks good What is the distance between the eye bolts with the gate retracted?

GravelyWoman
07-21-2011, 06:24 AM
Do they sale the garage door springs at Home Depot or Lowes? I have got to do this and to spend 175.00 is just crazy! Lifting that gate is the worst part of the job for me!

Thanks!
Gravely Woman

Agape
07-21-2011, 10:04 AM
I don't know the distance, I had a 110# spring and had the gate bolt a bit lower than it is now. I installed it first by hooking the hardware up to the gate and pulling the spring so it had a couple inches of tension on it, made my mark and drilled for the side hardware then I moved the bolt higher and higher until it was opening acceptably.

I would get the general distance and use the mesh to adjust the spring higher until its where u want- then drill. I could go with 140# spring and be pretty happy but the 110 works for me.

stretching a 110# spring with one hand and puting nuts n washers with the other gets tiring so I reccomend a helper, also I used 1/2 " eye bolts but could probably get away with much smaller stuff. after the first hole dulls the bit It's haaard to drill 1/2 inch holes (a lot of friction).

Agape
07-21-2011, 10:10 AM
the assisits online use the spring in a tube and run the cable out and over a pulley so that the gate is always being pulled up towards the back edge of the rail at a 45 degree angle but I was able to pass that setup. If I did that, I would definitely have a one finger lift with this spring. you can see, however, that my gate pin setup would prevent this method so i tried it this way before fabricating something to mount a tube and pulley to the side.

Agape
07-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Do they sale the garage door springs at Home Depot or Lowes? I have got to do this and to spend 175.00 is just crazy! Lifting that gate is the worst part of the job for me!

Thanks!
Gravely Woman

ace hardware

Agape
07-21-2011, 10:27 AM
I just realized. they also sell a garage door pulley for $7 that I could've mounted on the back corner of the rail on the side and put the spring farther back and used the cable (comes with the spring) over the pulley to pull more upwards on the gate

DIXIECONTRACTING
07-21-2011, 10:48 AM
I would definitely run the safety cable through the spring in case it lets go.

RLS24
07-21-2011, 02:55 PM
I made pretty much the same thing recently. Mine more or less copies the Elegator design, the sprint mounts closer to the gate on the rail and farther up on the gate. I used a lb spring on each side and I can flick the gate up with my toe just like they show in the Gorilla Lift video, only mine you can do that for real, not by TV magic! I would also recommend putting that safety cable on there.

Agape
07-22-2011, 01:05 AM
its set as a one handed lift, not a finger lift so I don't have the spring maxed out by any means. show me a pic of how you have the safty cable set though if you would?

RLS24
07-22-2011, 10:30 AM
its set as a one handed lift, not a finger lift so I don't have the spring maxed out by any means. show me a pic of how you have the safty cable set though if you would?

I'll get a pic. My springs are not maxed out either. I put 1 160 lb on one side and that was actually sufficient but i noticed the gate was tweaking just a little bit from the pull of the spring so I added the other one to balance it out.