PDA

View Full Version : msma

superintendent
07-21-2011, 05:12 PM
I been out spraying some yards with msma for crabgrass. Yes I know I'm not suppose to but had some left over from last yr and drive just does not work. I had a customer called today upset that I killed his fescue. I knew it would set the fescue around the crabgrass but feel like that it will come back with rain and cooler weather. What do yall think. I only sprayed in the early morning. Hope yall will tell me what I want to hear. I did tell him that if it doesn't come back I will take care of it. I sprayed some yards last week and they look fine. Also what are yall using for crabgrass? I'm sorry I use drive last yr and tried it again this yr and yes I use mso and it will set it back but that is it. I feel with crabgrass we have lost a battle fighting it now with msma gone.

cgaengineer
07-21-2011, 06:12 PM
You can use your old stock MSMA...you just cant buy it anymore. That being said...I have found MSMA to be very hard on fescue...especially at the time when MSMA is applied (heat)...hell, its hard on bermuda.

TMlawncare
07-21-2011, 06:17 PM
We have been using Q4plus this year. The results are pretty good. For crabgrass or foxtail the 3oz per gallon maximum rate is a must.

clemsonturf
07-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Quinclorac is definitely a lost cause without ample soil moisture.

I still have plenty of MSMA left, but am occasionally pairing it with .5 lb/A quinclorac w/MSO. I'm getting plenty of one app kills with that combo.

Not looking forward to running out of MSMA at all.

Fenoxaprop is no good and neither is fluazifop.

With RR crops here to stay, don't look for any new products to hit the market either.

sprayboy
07-21-2011, 07:56 PM
I been out spraying some yards with msma for crabgrass. Yes I know I'm not suppose to but had some left over from last yr and drive just does not work. I had a customer called today upset that I killed his fescue. I knew it would set the fescue around the crabgrass but feel like that it will come back with rain and cooler weather. What do yall think. I only sprayed in the early morning. Hope yall will tell me what I want to hear. I did tell him that if it doesn't come back I will take care of it. I sprayed some yards last week and they look fine. Also what are yall using for crabgrass? I'm sorry I use drive last yr and tried it again this yr and yes I use mso and it will set it back but that is it. I feel with crabgrass we have lost a battle fighting it now with msma gone.

Drive should get it if it is crabgrass.
Is there a possibility you are mistaking it for dallisgrass.

johnsonslawnmanagement
07-21-2011, 08:17 PM
I'm with sprayboy; drivexlr8 has totally killed crabgrass in my experience. DG just smiles and continues to grow. I never really noticed how much DG was in some of my lawns until I used drive, then I saw what I was calling large crabgrass was actually smaller DG
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
07-21-2011, 10:28 PM
yup, getting ready to use some of my msma on johnson grass. love the way it burns it down. gonna miss msma for sure.

there needs to be something better, other specialty herbicides are too damn much $, but cant say how they work for the hard to kills like johonson, dallis and barnyard grasses etc. anyone>? quinclorac wont touch them

Think Green
07-21-2011, 10:33 PM
I often think about having a complete lawn of nothing but Crabgrass. It stays green.....even in the heat, lack of water, and continues to grow when nothing else will.
Keep it mowed once a week.........cut it low and watch it flourish into a nice lawn.
Why fight something that is bound to survive.

ted putnam
07-21-2011, 11:14 PM
yup, getting ready to use some of my msma on johnson grass. love the way it burns it down. gonna miss msma for sure.

there needs to be something better, other specialty herbicides are too damn much $, but cant say how they work for the hard to kills like johonson, dallis and barnyard grasses etc. anyone>? quinclorac wont touch them

Grassman, I never had much luck killing barnyard grass with MSMA, even with sequential apps. Celsius will kill it in one shot. Are you using the MSMA to kill this weed in cool season or warm season turf? I know you've said in the past that you have some bermuda up there...

cgaengineer
07-22-2011, 07:32 AM
I often think about having a complete lawn of nothing but Crabgrass. It stays green.....even in the heat, lack of water, and continues to grow when nothing else will.
Keep it mowed once a week.........cut it low and watch it flourish into a nice lawn.
Why fight something that is bound to survive.

Except it doesn't cut well and leaves stringers everywhere!
Posted via Mobile Device

n-green
07-22-2011, 08:43 AM
Earlier this year I pulled the PG up to the truck put in 60 oz. of 3way, had a brain fart, closed the lid and commenced to spraying without the 10gal of water. Sprayed 2 or 3 passes before I realized it. I had the customer water
heavily for a couple of days and the fescue came right back. It was cooler then and not MSMa though.

Think Green
07-22-2011, 08:59 AM
All I can say is................my lawn was speckled with tall fescue and fine fescues from whomever lived here before me. I only want the bermuda grass growing. Over the last three years of living here, MSMA has taken out all of the fine fescue............and a mixture of MSMA and Imazaquin has done the rest. IF this customers fescue doesn't recover with extra water within a couple of weeks...................consider it a learning lessen. Reseed!!!!

SOONER GREEN
07-22-2011, 09:27 AM
solitare is labled for cool season grass.

grassman177
07-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Grassman, I never had much luck killing barnyard grass with MSMA, even with sequential apps. Celsius will kill it in one shot. Are you using the MSMA to kill this weed in cool season or warm season turf? I know you've said in the past that you have some bermuda up there...

cool season turf

ted putnam
07-22-2011, 05:04 PM
cool season turf

That makes it really tough. MSMA is hard on cool season turf. I've only used about 3 cases of MSMA this year so I have plenty left. I've had to suspend grassy weed apps except on irrigated properties until we get rain due to extreme drought conditions. If we don't get some rain soon, I'm going to :cry:

Think Green
07-22-2011, 07:19 PM
Me too, Ted!!
I have a whole lot of fertilizers left also. My Round-5 Apps are out the window.

grassman177
07-23-2011, 07:05 AM
i am not sure about when i can start mys ummer round yet due to drought and temps. i have never missed a round, but wow, not looking good.

we do however have some chance of rain for sunday and monday. i sure hope we get it so i can go out and start apps. if we get enough, the mowing has slowed so much i will go out and do apps all week instead to take advantage of the weather

oxk18
07-24-2011, 04:16 AM
You are wrong.
Anybody can buy msma until 2013 unless use for residential.
search google or shopping site.