PDA

View Full Version : World's weakest leafblower?

2 Black Thumbs
10-24-2002, 03:45 PM
My backyard neighbor has a small gas blower and every year around this time I get to hear this thing buzzing for about 6 hours, 2 or 3 times. She doesn't have that big of a yard(it is a corner lot). This doesn't bug me, it amuses me. I used to wonder if it was a cordless blower(it kinda hums) untill today because she set it down and I could hear it idle. My shop vac has more power:p . This probably doesn't belong under comercial forum, but I thought maybe you pros would get a kick out of it. Just picture a 55 year? old woman in good health, spending about 6 hours holding a leaf blower when she could rake it in 3 hours. BTW, she also has some one foot trees growing in her eves on the garage.:D Have a good day! Two Black Thumbs

Mow&Snow
10-24-2002, 07:33 PM
well u could go over and help her.....

drobson
10-24-2002, 08:03 PM
I would imaging that if it was my neighbor I would have gone over and helped her, then suggested she buy a new leaf blower.

Mow&Snow
10-24-2002, 08:08 PM
see what I'm saying? I would've gone over too. How nice of you to sit back and giggle while this poor woman strugles with inferior equipment......:D

drobson
10-24-2002, 08:26 PM
Yeah, that would be like seeing your neighbor stuck in the snow and not helping get them out. I just couldn't do that, not with anyone never mind just a neighbor.

awm
10-24-2002, 08:34 PM
well u got the typical responce ,black thumbs.passin out guilt is just a big thing for some people. but they usually grow out of it. im in the process rite now.
been on the wagon now bout 10 yrs.
still hard to resist sometimes.:)

Mow&Snow
10-24-2002, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by awm
well u got the typical responce ,black thumbs.passin out guilt is just a big thing for some people. but they usually grow out of it. im in the process rite now.
been on the wagon now bout 10 yrs.
still hard to resist sometimes.:)

I'm not sure i understand this post.....

awm
10-24-2002, 08:47 PM
thats okay bud. no biggee. have a good one brother.:)

2 Black Thumbs
10-24-2002, 09:46 PM
I am a nice guy that likes to help out others that truly need help, people on the side of the road that are broken down. But this woman needs no real help(Her doing her own lawncare helps her keep in good shape. why should I try to change that.) I am not laughing at her but it is interesting watching her blow her leaves with such a low powerd blower.Do you people that think I am wrong help out everybody you see doing their own lawns for free?:rolleyes: Two black thumbs

greenman
10-24-2002, 11:00 PM
she might let you help her even if you offered. Alot of elderly ladies love to go outside and work just for the exercise and because they have nothing better to do. One of my customers is and elderly who just has me edge, trim, and blow. She has a crapsmen riding mower that she uses to cut her lawn with. I usually only actually get to cut it about 3 or 4 times a season. She does it just to be doing something.

Phishook
10-25-2002, 03:58 AM
no harm in letting her work.

some people like it, might have been devastating to her if you did the job in a couple of minutes.

but if she fell over stiff as a board out there, that could have been rough on you.

every situation's diffrent.

Hey what kind of blower was it? I'm missing my Craftsman hand held!

SLS
10-25-2002, 08:35 AM
...when you help out some old folks.

I have run across some that actually get pissed when you offer to give 'em a hand. Usually it's the cranky old men though.

I've had 'em cop an attitude of "What??? Do I look like some helpless old fogey to you??? Why, I could take your azz on my worst day! Hell, I killed 25 Germans back in the 'Big War'...with my bare hands! <...cough, cough,...wheeze, wheeze...> If I need your help, I'll ask for it! <..cough,..hack..>"

oops! :blush:

MOW ED
10-25-2002, 08:58 AM
If she tips over I have personal knowledge that she will be taken care of.

He has no obligation to help her. I don't outwardly solicit work from my neighbors, they solicit me. We agree on price and then I will do their work.

They understand that I am running a business and that any time that I spend on their lawn is time that I don't spend on customers.
I have a great analogy. My neighbor owns a plumbing business, I called there to have some plumbing done. They did it and I was sent the bill. I was charged full hourly rate for the time spent. Was I mad? Heck no. He owns the business and has expenses just like I do. Its a business transaction. When I do work for him I have no problem charging him my rate.

Now we sit in the garage and have a couple of beers and we don't sit and charge for that.

I have a neighbor on the other side that has one of those goofy little blowers and I always laugh at him. I have a $500.00 plus blower for a reason. He has never asked me to help him blow leaves. I have never solicited. We get along fine.
Being a good neighbor doesn't always mean donating time and money to your neighbors. I will always help if asked to help but I don't have the time or money to donate. I do that in church.

bubble boy
10-25-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by MOW ED

They understand that I am running a business and that any time that I spend on their lawn is time that I don't spend on customers.
I have a great analogy. My neighbor owns a plumbing business, I called there to have some plumbing done. They did it and I was sent the bill. I was charged full hourly rate for the time spent. Was I mad? Heck no.

perfectly said.

and i would laugh. he said she could have done it easier with a rake, but used the POS blower she had. that to me is amusing.

this time of year you get a lot of spectators. you can't help but notice them, they often just stand and watch us. our toys really shine with the leaves. i love the looks as we pull away

Gravely_Man
10-25-2002, 04:40 PM
I know it is hard to believe but some people just like to waste time. I have some friends that are in the same boat. They would rather spend all day on Saturday out side playing in the yard using some super low end blower then spend a couple of hundred and have something that will do the job quickly.

Gravely_Man