PDA

View Full Version : Scag drive shaft

jarhay
10-24-2002, 08:41 PM
I have read on this forum that some times Scag has had trouble with or because of the drive shaft to the deck. Either the gear box has trouble or loss of power. Can you tell me if the other brands have belts or different gear drives. Thanks

HarryD
10-24-2002, 11:02 PM
your post does not make sense explain this better

Shady Brook
10-25-2002, 12:22 AM
I understand your question, and welcome to the site.

I had a drive shaft driven Tiger, that started to wobble, and cracked the frame all up.

To my knowledge Scag is the proud owner of this design, while most if not all others are belt driven. Exmark, Dixie Chopper, Hustler, and likely many more are belt driven as far as the deck goes. Plenty of choices out ther for ya.

Jay

mklawnman
10-25-2002, 12:38 AM
No problems so far with my drive shaft on my 52inch 23LC Kaw, has 430hrs on it. Ive thought that well its got a drive shaft that its more commercial but well look at all the other brands out there, all have belt driven. Makes ya wonder is the drive shaft really a big thing. Ive seen a thread on this whole issue of belt vs drive shaft, and such overall I read that belt could be faster blade tip speed than drive shaft driven but its close.
Im happy with my TT right now so go with what you think will work the best and your budget.
Matt

Shady Brook
10-25-2002, 12:47 AM
They updated the drive shaft within the past two years, so you should be ok. I just happend to have one made at the wrong time. They made update kits with a new shaft, and some reinforcement steel, but I was never notified. Oh well, you should be ok.

Jay

mklawnman
10-25-2002, 12:58 AM
Its a 2001 so i should be fine. Heard bad things about the first generation TT's couple years ago all the driveshafts had to get replaced, but when we bought our's last year they told us that they put the new type of driveshaft on, so yeah im not worried.
Matt