PDA

View Full Version : Need help (crushed stone driveway)

Outdoor_Maintenance_2010
07-22-2011, 09:33 AM
hey guys,

This customer wants me to fix up her driveway, she only wants a quick fix
what kind of material could i put to prevent water from washing the driveway like this? Would crush stone mix with cement mix help?
I'm thinking the cement would harden up and prevent from it washing away again

http://i54.tinypic.com/5dw2op.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/skxm55.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/1hf493.jpg

I'm looking for ideas here,

Let me know

Thanks

DVS Hardscaper
07-22-2011, 09:58 AM
You're gonna make me go outside in the heat and take a pic of my lane?

It would take a heck of alot of concrete to be enough to be effective.

I have a fair amount of experience with this, as I live on the ridge of a mountain. We did the sitework at my neighbor's property, his driveway is so steep, only a 4wd vehicle can use it. His gravel has been in place for 4 years. We contoured it accordingly, and compacted with a big, ride on roller. We've had some real gully washers, and all is well.

The customer has to deal with reality. There is no "quick fix". Get a 3-inch rain storm like we had here 2 weeks ago and that "quick fix" will be at the bottom of the hill.

The first thing you need to do is DIVERT THE WATER OFF / AWAY THE DRIVEWAY. This will involve a small excavator.

You will need contour the driveway so the water sheets to both sides from the center, and so that the water does not roll down the driveway. At the top of my lane, I have a SLIGHT depresion carved and 90% of the water is diverted to one side right off the bat.

You may have to import aggregate and create a crown. Meaning the center of the driveway will be HIGHER.

I'll shoot some pics and post them either later today or over the weekend.

DVS Hardscaper
07-22-2011, 10:03 AM
your 1st picture shows the whole story.

Whats happening is the water is coming off the lawn (to the right) and is spilling onto the driveway.

There needs to be a trench/swale/whatever you want to call it, to break the water from entering the driveway.

DVS Hardscaper
07-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Now in my case, I have more space to work with and I don't have a lush lawn along my road. But Lush Lawn or no lawn, it's still the same, water flows downhill.

In this pic to the right is a small pile of gravel. it's hard to see due to the tree's shadow, but if you look at the road, you should be able to see that I have a slight swale cut, where the pile of gravel is, which directs the water off to the right

Outdoor_Maintenance_2010
07-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Yea, makes sense the're is no crown on that driveway,problem is people always have trouble investing into big projects like this, it usually washes down like once a summer
i probably end up just dumping so crushed stone

DVS Hardscaper
07-22-2011, 10:57 AM
As we come down the road, you can see on the right (through the vegatation) that there is a swale cut parallel with the road.

And, it's hard to see (through the vegatation), there is also a deeper, more pronounced swale on the left. (the left side receives a higher volume of water, which is why it's deeper and more pronounced)

DVS Hardscaper
07-22-2011, 11:06 AM
And as we go further, I have "break away" points. for the water to discharge.

In the pic, through the vegatation, you can see the swale veer off to the left and dump the water into the woods

DVS Hardscaper
07-22-2011, 11:12 AM
In the 1st pic, the road is cut so it dips TOWARDS that pile of gravel.

DVS Hardscaper
07-22-2011, 11:15 AM
Pic Looking down the road.

And don't you city slickers go falling in love with my secluded property, it's not for sale!

Outdoor_Maintenance_2010
07-22-2011, 11:19 AM
interesting, thanks for the help and pics

DVS Hardscaper
07-22-2011, 11:19 AM
Yea, makes sense the're is no crown on that driveway,problem is people always have trouble investing into big projects like this, it usually washes down like once a summer
i probably end up just dumping so crushed stone

Since she is hiring you as a professional, you first need to educate her and inform her of what it will take to correct the problem for long term.

You need to cover your bases. Home owners do not know anything about grading. You need to explain where, what, and why. And after you do that, if they still insist on a temporary band aid, then do the band aid, but word the contract stating they declined a proper fix. You could do the work today and tomorrow a storm could come through bringing the new gravel down the hill.

Swampy
07-22-2011, 11:30 AM
No offense DVS,

As I see it, being your from Canada, the plow guy is going to destroy your crown in single pass. If you end up going this route, her plow guy has to use shoes. And me personally hate plowing with shoes on (nothing like turning your truck into a high speed grader)

I'd look into some of the engineered mixes, a vib roller, and compact the crap out of it.

DVS Hardscaper
07-22-2011, 11:52 AM
No offense DVS,

As I see it, being your from Canada, the plow guy is going to destroy your crown in single pass. If you end up going this route, her plow guy has to use shoes. And me personally hate plowing with shoes on (nothing like turning your truck into a high speed grader)

I'd look into some of the engineered mixes, a vib roller, and compact the crap out of it.

Which is why I stressed the importance of *DIVERTING* the water. All the TC (topic creator) has to do is simply bring in a min excavator and carve a swale on the right side, parallel with the driveway. Which is why I provided the pictures.

The pics from the TC appear that there is no need for importing any more gravel.

On my neighbors driveway, I used a Case dozer with a 6 or 8 way blade and I pitched the driveway to one side. So when it rains the water sheets off to the side and does not flow now the driveway. No crown was utilized.

Groomer
07-22-2011, 12:01 PM
and here I thought dvs would have had a paver drive, laid out in some wickedly intricate pattern, lined with small statues.

DVS Hardscaper
07-22-2011, 05:45 PM
and here I thought dvs would have had a paver drive, laid out in some wickedly intricate pattern, lined with small statues.

Duh!!

The lane in the pictures is the entrance that the maids and the grounds caretakers must use.......
Posted via Mobile Device

Groomer
07-22-2011, 06:19 PM
HA, so dvs stands for driveway very steep?

DVS Hardscaper
07-24-2011, 12:39 AM
HA, so dvs stands for driveway very steep?

Someone has a creative mind!

Posted via Mobile Device

Stillwater
07-24-2011, 02:41 AM
I always thought it ment.... ah... doing virgins silly

White Gardens
07-24-2011, 08:14 AM
DVS, have you thought about trenching in a drain tile in your ditch and then running a few strips of a French drain every 100 feet or so in your drive to catch the water?

Did that once on a drive next to a lake. I did 4 french drains or curtain drains across the drive, connecting into the main pipe in the ditch.

I called about a year later and they said it got rid of the major wash outs. Told them to call me to re-grade if it ever rutted again, and so far they haven't called.

Over-all I feel they are going to save money in the long run not having to call me back out to put in new rock or re-grade.

DVS Hardscaper
07-24-2011, 08:28 AM
DVS, have you thought about trenching in a drain tile in your ditch and then running a few strips of a French drain every 100 feet or so in your drive to catch the water?

Did that once on a drive next to a lake. I did 4 french drains or curtain drains across the drive, connecting into the main pipe in the ditch.

I called about a year later and they said it got rid of the major wash outs. Told them to call me to re-grade if it ever rutted again, and so far they haven't called.

Over-all I feel they are going to save money in the long run not having to call me back out to put in new rock or re-grade.

Probably not a bad idea. But in my case, it's just the woods and doesnt matter too much.

Somewhere im my office I do have pictures of my road in action during a heavy rainstorm showing all the water flowing as intended. I just cant find them!

White Gardens
07-24-2011, 08:32 AM
Probably not a bad idea. But in my case, it's just the woods and doesnt matter too much.

Agreed, just a thought thrown out there at ya so you don't waste time re-grading the drive which might mean more family time.