PDA

View Full Version : Your opinions?

southscape
10-24-2002, 09:08 PM
I've come across this truck & would like to get some of your opinions. Does this look as though it could be an appropriate price for this truck?

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT Quad Cab, 50k miles, 4x4 Cummins, LB, auto, low miles, immac cond, sprayed on bdlnr, lockable roll top cover & tailgate, exc gas mileage, $26,000.

Thank you guys!

Sean Stanley
Southscape

dlandscaping
10-24-2002, 09:58 PM
dont sound great to me
try kbb.com and enter all that info do the dealer price and private party price. That site is a good ESTIMATE of value. I would def. check out new trucks. One like that would be around $32k brand new im guessing same as similar ford just pay invoice and with 0% u could have a brand new truck for 6k more.

Swampbeast
10-24-2002, 11:59 PM
WAY to much money! Thats about as much as the Dodges cost brand new! Go buy yourself a brand new one for that kind of money. :cool:

southscape
10-25-2002, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the input guys. About how much do you think should be spent on this truck?

GreginAlaska
10-25-2002, 03:16 PM
According to Edmunds.com about $19,000 for a private party transaction.

Swampbeast
10-25-2002, 04:05 PM
So make an offer of about $1500 and hope the guy isnt to sharp. :cool:

AltaLawnCare
10-25-2002, 06:12 PM
You may be able to chew them down a little.

Around here, that actually wouldn't be bad, because you just can't find a good used Cummins powered Dodge. At 50,000, that thing isn't even broken in yet! The new ones don't have nearly as pretty body style IMHO.

You'll love the Cummins if you get it............plenty of power and torque, and mileage around 20 too.

I have a '00 with sport package, and slight modifications..;)
I gave 36,000 for it in '99, and I wouldn't take anything for it.

Absolute BEST vehicle I've ever owned.
:angel:

jsr2741
10-25-2002, 07:51 PM
If that truck is at a dealer thats about what there going for where I'm at. If its a private owner, he's probably trying to at least get what he owes on it. And yes 50,000 miles is nothing.

I looked at an '03 couple days ago, and its more that 35k and it wasn't an H.O. Mine is an '02, listed almost 36k and got it for about 31k. If you have a chrysler plant in your area and know someone who works there see if they will give you their friends deal. You can get a new truck for 1% under (true) dealer invoice. Save ya alot of dickerin with the saleman.

As far as the 99 goes its up to you, great truck and its about ballpark for around here. Or you can go to www.tdr1.com, its all about cummins/Dodge and there nothing on that site those guys dont know about. kinda like this one for lawns etc.

good luck,

Steve

Brickman
10-26-2002, 10:46 AM
I would try for $22,000 around here the Dodges don't hold the resale that some of the others do. $26K is a bit steep, when for $9000 more you could have a truck with no miles and the full warranty.

jsr2741
10-26-2002, 07:15 PM
I dont haul cars however my brother-in-law; who by the way drives a powerstroke, and hauls sows for a large corporate hog producer in north Missouri told me the other day that the other guy who hauls and drives a Ram out pulled him on every hill on I-35 going to Kansas City. I asked him who had the bigger load, he said they were within a couple 100 lbs of each other which he said doesn't make any difference.

He's one of the biggest Ford nuts I know and for him to say that kinda blew my mind considerin we're always funnin each other about who can do what. So see everyone can come up with a story of who out pulled who... even the chevy guys.

Rather Ram it than Stroke it.

AltaLawnCare
10-27-2002, 01:32 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with Ford or Dodge. I would much rather have a 6 cylinder Cummins than a V8 diesel.
If the cummins was in the Ford, ....well maybe. :rolleyes:

I like the body style of the 94 through 01 Dodge better than any other, second would be Fords in the early 90s.

I compared both, way they rode, interior and service-ability, and reputation.

Before I bought this truck, I was a Ford-aholic. I do still own a classic mustang. :cool:

CSRA Landscaping
11-01-2002, 11:26 PM
Overpriced. I got a 2001 Dodge Ram 24 valve Cummins 30k miles for $26k AFTER taxes and tag. It's not a 4x4x, though, so not sure how that would influence it. Just my thought.

Swampbeast
11-01-2002, 11:39 PM
Altalawncare, what type of Mustang?
I got a sweeeeet 68 Mustang, garaunteed to smoke anything! 1/4 mile in 9 seconds now. He he, I love it!

:cool:

AltaLawnCare
11-02-2002, 10:59 AM
It's a 70 cnvertible..still in a very slow process of restoration, and use that word lightly. :p

It had extensive rust damage. I've replaced all the inner structure, floors, and even shock towers.

It has the 76B bodystyle (convert. with deluxe interior), and came with a 302 3 speed.

I'm planning on finishing it with slight engine mods, and a 4 speed. ;)

I've owned it for over ten years now. Hopefully over the next 2 years, I can get back on it and finish it.:rolleyes:

Swampbeast
11-02-2002, 10:17 PM
Restoration huh? My car club and I are doing that right now with a 73 Mustang with the original 351 Cleveland in it.
Hmmm, three speed eh? Yeah, definately upgrade to 4 speed. We have a 6 speed on the 68 Mustang, and a five speed on the 73.
Extensive rust damage? Thats a bummer. the rust on the 73 was so bad that we had to order replacement fiberglass body parts!

Lemme know how it goes...

landscaper3
11-04-2002, 10:29 PM
Look at kellyblue book for value of truck.

Swampbeast
11-19-2002, 01:04 AM
Just out of curriousity, I went and looked up my F-350 at the Kelly Blue Book website, and its worth $11,000. To me that truck is worth far more than that, its a priceless memory for me. Heck, I got my first kiss ever in the back end of it. The first deer I shot, I threw it in the bed, the first wreck I got into, was in that truck. My first speeding ticket. Lots of firsts.
Yall got any "Firsts" with the truck ya got now?

CSRA Landscaping
11-19-2002, 01:11 PM
First real work truck I've ever owned. 2001 Dodge Ram 24 valve Cummins Turbo Diesel.

Randy J
11-20-2002, 11:04 AM
If you use Kelly Blue Book or NADA, either one, you'll way overpay. I suggest Edmunds.com as GreginAlaska said. The price does sound a little high to me. There are a few dealers around the country, Melton's (http://www.meltons.com) in Oklahoma for instance, that will sell Dodges for under invoice. However, if you like the truck I wouldn't be afraid to get pretty close to that price. I have a '98 with about 135,000 miles on it, and it's running great. I still get good fuel mileage, about 14mpg when pulling about 11,000 pounds, 19 empty. There are some quirks to be wary of, such as they are notorious for bad fuel lift pumps (about $150). And if you plan on pulling much, you should plan on sinking about $2000 (or more depending on who you go with) into the automatic. If you do that though, you can spend under another $1000 and make it a truck that will pull with any truck out there. Stock is pretty good also though, mine is still stock.
Oh, for price comparison, you might get on Turbo Diesel Register (http://www.turbodieselregister.com) and look in the classifieds.
I don't think you'd be disappointed in the truck at all. Good luck

Randy

jsr2741
11-20-2002, 02:48 PM
Randy J hit the nail on the head. If your going to buy a Dodge, spend the $35 it cost to join TDR; www.turbodieselregister.com, not only can those folks help you with upgrades, they have every thing needed to do upgrades, repairs etc. They also have a list of dealers that are TDR friendly. You can get on the site and look at everything they have, read post and whatnot but you can't post unless you join.

All those on TDR a knowledgible and if you post a question they will steer you in the right direction.

Sorry to sound like a salesman for them but if your buying the Cummins its the best $35 you'll spend.:D

Brickman
11-20-2002, 10:27 PM
When ya buy a Ford there is the Power Stroke Registry to join, awe some mag for $35 a year. Tons of way cool articles, and more toys for your truck than you ever knew could exist.

www.powerstrokeregistry.com

Randy have you heard much about the 5th gear problem in the Dodge older trans?? Some thing about a small nut that falls off a shaft and then YOU get the shaft from the repair shop.

Randy J
11-21-2002, 06:15 AM
Yeah, if the truck has done much pulling the 5th gear can be a problem. The nut vibrates loose when the truck is "lugged" in 5th gear. There's a shop in Fort Worth that has a simple solution for it though. And I think the new Dodges seem to have that problem fixed.
The only problem with the Powerstroke Registery is that it's all about fixes, where the Dodge Turbo Diesel Registery is about add ons and hop-up goodies. J/K:p

Randy

Brickman
11-21-2002, 10:53 AM
Randy you must get the fake copy of PSR. Cuz mine is full of toys, and go fast goodies. And articles about how the new 6.0 PS kicks Dodge and Chebies butt. :D :D

I heard some thing about the 5th gear fix, where they put a jamb nut on there, and then drill the shaft and add a cotter key as well. The thing with pulling in high gear is that if you only pulled in 4th you would never get above about 60 MPH. That is entirely too slow for me. Unless the speed limit is 60.

As far as the juicer trans in all makes I wouldn't trust one any farther than I could throw it unless it was built. Fords and Dodge can be built almost bullet proof for around $1500. Haven't heard about GM.