PDA

View Full Version : Spraying when hot

weed wacker 2
07-22-2011, 01:46 PM
What are you guys doing when temps exceed 90 with high humidity? I have blanket sprayed a few over the past few weeks. Are you guys doing these apps early in the morning or what? Some of our new accounts were informed to wait until cooler temps or until the fall app. Are you guys that are still going when its this hot diluting your mixes down?

Mark Oomkes
07-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Wouldn't one be well advised to follow the label directions?

weed wacker 2
07-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Wouldn't one be well advised to follow the label directions?

Yes this is true, however most dont like to sit on their hands all day.

JDiepstra
07-22-2011, 01:59 PM
I love time off!
Posted via Mobile Device

Mark Oomkes
07-22-2011, 02:03 PM
Yes this is true, however most dont like to sit on their hands all day.

Gotcha, it's far better to violate federal law.

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind.

JBlawn
07-22-2011, 04:33 PM
saw scotts out spraying a yard i mow at 2:30 this afternoon, Ow and it was 96 out:confused:

RigglePLC
07-22-2011, 05:26 PM
Does anyone have a list of what products have label restrictions by temperature? Tell us your favorite and the use restrictions on the label. Are these ignored down south?
Trimec Classic up to 85 degrees
Trimec 992 up to 85
T-Zone up to 85
Eliminate, Lesco 90
Speedzone up to 90
Quicksilver "Highly effective under both warm and cool conditions."
Surge up to 90
Coolpower and Horsepower "Avoid excessively hot conditions unless irrigation is used."
Manage "Not if under stress."

kbrashears
07-22-2011, 05:46 PM
I have had no issues with Celsius and this heat.
Posted via Mobile Device

ted putnam
07-22-2011, 06:15 PM
I am using primarily Celsius and Certainty. I haven't used anything containing 2,4D in the last month and a half. Just because temps got over 85 doesn't mean a truck payment will wait until it drops down to 85. Geez guys, use a little common sense. Pick and choose your products wisely, don't spray drought stressed turf, encourage your customers to water when possible. It's really pretty simple. If I stopped spraying weeds because it was 86 degrees, I'd be sitting at the shop 4 months out of the year and I'll end up looking for a job doing something else.

Think Green
07-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Well said--Ted!!
I am with you there!! Maybe my insurance, mortgage, banks will be understanding of our weather problems. NOT!! I'll pay them when things get better.

XLS
07-22-2011, 10:31 PM
we did 2-4 d today at 105 degrees at a rate of 4 oz per gallon and spot treated alot of lawns 35 non irrigated .....in afew days we will know of problems.....but i think we are good
Posted via Mobile Device

VARMIT COMMISSION
07-22-2011, 11:49 PM
we did 2-4 d today at 105 degrees at a rate of 4 oz per gallon and spot treated alot of lawns 35 non irrigated .....in afew days we will know of problems.....but i think we are good
Posted via Mobile Device

WOW bigger nad's than I got.

ted putnam
07-22-2011, 11:52 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Glyphos is much cheaper:laugh::laugh:

XLS
07-23-2011, 12:17 AM
gly was put down last week lol did everything they said.......killed everything but 2-4-d is as cheap as the gly for us
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
07-23-2011, 01:13 AM
In hot weather, I will use Celsius,Certainty,dicamba, Image,Manor, Monument, Revolver and Speedzone or other ester based herbicides only if the heat is not accompanied by totally windless conditions. I wish it would get a little warmer here. It is July, almost August and it is still windy, cloudy and raining. Normally, July in Hawaii goes up to 90 and stays that way til November. Many of my applications applied at the end of June, beginning of July failed.:cry:

Mark Oomkes
07-23-2011, 08:14 AM
I am using primarily Celsius and Certainty. I haven't used anything containing 2,4D in the last month and a half. Just because temps got over 85 doesn't mean a truck payment will wait until it drops down to 85. Geez guys, use a little common sense. Pick and choose your products wisely, don't spray drought stressed turf, encourage your customers to water when possible. It's really pretty simple. If I stopped spraying weeds because it was 86 degrees, I'd be sitting at the shop 4 months out of the year and I'll end up looking for a job doing something else.

Well said--Ted!!
I am with you there!! Maybe my insurance, mortgage, banks will be understanding of our weather problems. NOT!! I'll pay them when things get better.

I didn't say stop spraying, did I?

All I was suggesting that it's wise to follow label directions. Especially with the Imprelis thing going on. Any damage done to lawns or trees that were not treated according to label directions, and you're going to be in heap big trouble.

TurfRyder
07-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Fortunately for me I have mostly commercial accounts that can be treated at the crack of dawn. That's 4:30 am in these parts right now. Last year I sprayed a 12 acre corporate office complex at night because it is lit-up so well.

I never blanket spray when temps reach 85+. I have done plenty of tests and even slight winds can cause drift for thousands feet or more. Especially when using the hand held trimmer wand. I think it is irresponsible to work under these conditions so I work long hours when the weather is favorable and early hours when it is not.

ted putnam
07-23-2011, 04:59 PM
I didn't say stop spraying, did I?

All I was suggesting that it's wise to follow label directions. Especially with the Imprelis thing going on. Any damage done to lawns or trees that were not treated according to label directions, and you're going to be in heap big trouble.

Yes Mark, I probably overstated it a little much but the fact remains, common sense (as well as labels) should direct you pretty well. Experience should also be a guide. Sometimes I forget there are those here who lacking in that area as well.
When Celsius first came out, I avoided jumping in with both feet until I was able to do some testing myself and research on results others had using it in real world situations. I would have done the same if imprellis had been labeled for warm season turf. There is some truth to the saying"Only Fools Rush In". Sorry for going a little overboard in that last post.

XLS
07-23-2011, 07:44 PM
what do you guys do about dallas grass this hot?