PDA

View Full Version : My own residence

Dennis Davis
07-22-2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks to this site, I learned about Magna-Matic balancers and blade sharpeners. I also found out how those baseball fields and golf courses get that neat striping. So, with my blades properly sharpened and balanced and a newly built lawn striper which I built from instructions on this site, here is a pic of my lawn.

StihlMechanic
07-22-2011, 11:22 PM
Looks nice. Those sharpeners are a waste of money if you know what you are doing.

TTTF or Rye?

metro36
07-23-2011, 12:17 AM
It might be that angle but the stripes aren't really poping out like they should. Looks like you need more ground pressure on the striping kit you made.

Junior M
07-23-2011, 12:19 AM
Now we have to teach you where to stand when taking stripe pictures..

PlantscapeSolutions
07-23-2011, 02:37 AM
I bit the bullet and dropped a grand on the Magna-Matic 8000 this spring. It's expensive but it makes the sharpening chore easier. Why waste time with a bench grinder or hand held grinder when the Magna-Matic is a much more precise tool to use. You got people on here taking about using belt sanders, bastard files, and all kinds of crazy methods of sharpening blades. No home brew sharpening method can compare it's that simple.

StihlMechanic
07-23-2011, 03:56 AM
I bit the bullet and dropped a grand on the Magna-Matic 8000 this spring. It's expensive but it makes the sharpening chore easier. Why waste time with a bench grinder or hand held grinder when the Magna-Matic is a much more precise tool to use. You got people on here taking about using belt sanders, bastard files, and all kinds of crazy methods of sharpening blades. No home brew sharpening method can compare it's that simple.

A grand? Holy Sh9t.

cut level
07-23-2011, 06:41 AM
The sharpeners are not a waste of money. They are nice and keep the angle along with the ends corrected and you cannot do as good with a hand or bench grinder. I used a bench and hand grinder for 20 plus year before taking the plunge.
Posted via Mobile Device

Falcon50EX
07-23-2011, 06:57 AM
A grand? Holy Sh9t.

I second that do you take care of other lawn or is this it? It may be a great tool but dam

TriCityLawnCareLLC
07-23-2011, 08:42 AM
I think your lawn looks great!

bobcat48
07-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Looks nice,awesome stripes.

PlantscapeSolutions
07-23-2011, 11:52 AM
A grand? Holy Sh9t.+

Many years back I never thought I'd drop $1100 on a Honda commercial push mower that only gets used about two hours a week either. Once you acquire the better tools of the trade you're grateful and don't regret it one bit.

I've been fortunate to get a new 30x45 shop constructed, 09' Ram 3500 4x4, Scag V-Ride, Magna-Matic, decked out enclosed 16' trailer, 20' dump trailer, and a few other toys in just the last few years. I've been fortunate to be able to acquire most of the things on my wish list.

Northeast Mower
07-23-2011, 12:14 PM
I think it looks perfect, great work. Did you double cut? I can see the checkerboard and wasn't sure..

jsslawncare
07-23-2011, 12:15 PM
I think he works for Magna-Matic.

Mikegyver
07-23-2011, 12:55 PM
What kind of mower, which striper?
Mike

Dennis Davis
07-23-2011, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the kind remarks. I'm not in the lawn trade, just a retired guy who enjoys a good looking lawn. I mow two other lawns, my 90 year old neighbors lawn and a small lawn next door to him. The stripes are more prominent if you look directly down the stripe line. I just wanted to show the cross hatch effect in the picture. I do get a lot of favorable comments from folks who come and go...my wife is a seamstress and works out of the home. She's had customers say they couldn't remember the address, but knew to look for the best looking lawn on the block. I'm mowing with a 21" Snapper set on the next to the highest setting. I could go to the highest setting and maybe get a little more pronounced stripe effect. All in all, I'm happy with what I've accomplished for a non-professional. Thanks again for the comments and suggestions.

Dennis

StihlMechanic
07-23-2011, 04:13 PM
+

Many years back I never thought I'd drop $1100 on a Honda commercial push mower that only gets used about two hours a week either. Once you acquire the better tools of the trade you're grateful and don't regret it one bit.

I've been fortunate to get a new 30x45 shop constructed, 09' Ram 3500 4x4, Scag V-Ride, Magna-Matic, decked out enclosed 16' trailer, 20' dump trailer, and a few other toys in just the last few years. I've been fortunate to be able to acquire most of the things on my wish list.

$1100 for a Honda Commercial is money well spent. For a decade I have sharpened blades that look factory cut with just an angle grinder ($30). Then again I have done as many as 40 in a day so maybe I'm just awesome. I want to see a video of the magna-matic in operation and the results.

JDiepstra
07-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Looking good dennis
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
07-23-2011, 05:04 PM
$1100 for a Honda Commercial is money well spent. For a decade I have sharpened blades that look factory cut with just an angle grinder ($30). Then again I have done as many as 40 in a day so maybe I'm just awesome. I want to see a video of the magna-matic in operation and the results.

I was using a Milwaukii 7" grinder before. It threw the grindings all over the place and the grinding wheels were expensive. I was getting my wheels from the a place in NJ. I was able to get the Metabo wheels for about $9. In a year I could wear out $350 worth of wheels.

The Magna-Matic has a huge 1 HP electric motor that will last forever. It takes about two seconds to adjust the block the blades slide on. As the wheel wears you just turn a handle and the wheel lowers.

There are other commercial grinders available but the shipping is expensive because they are twice the size. The Magna-Matic takes up very little bench space. A bench grinder must have at least an 8" wheel for blades or the angle will be off and you'll waste time trying to correct for the smaller wheel.

The price is a shocker for the Magna-Matic but you just have to deal with it. Time is money and if your using a lesser machine your wasting time. I have three kids and a company to run so I can't afford to waste time. We do blade changes at the end of every day so I need to get the job done quickly.

I've used a 6" bench grinder for years, then a 4" & 7" hand held grinder. I can saw from experience that once you own a Magna-Matic you'll never go back to your old ways. One thing you'll notice if you do a online search of ebay and other places is that nobody ever sells used Magna-Matics. Owners tend to keep them forever which says a lot about the machine.

ed2hess
07-23-2011, 08:21 PM

What did that cost?

Falcon50EX
07-24-2011, 05:25 AM
Thanks for the kind remarks. I'm not in the lawn trade, just a retired guy who enjoys a good looking lawn. I mow two other lawns, my 90 year old neighbors lawn and a small lawn next door to him. The stripes are more prominent if you look directly down the stripe line. I just wanted to show the cross hatch effect in the picture. I do get a lot of favorable comments from folks who come and go...my wife is a seamstress and works out of the home. She's had customers say they couldn't remember the address, but knew to look for the best looking lawn on the block. I'm mowing with a 21" Snapper set on the next to the highest setting. I could go to the highest setting and maybe get a little more pronounced stripe effect. All in all, I'm happy with what I've accomplished for a non-professional. Thanks again for the comments and suggestions.

Dennis

Would you post a picture of your stripe kit? The lawn does look good:usflag:

RussellB
07-24-2011, 07:11 AM
Great job. I like the curb scape around the flower bed also.

punt66
07-24-2011, 07:55 AM
I agree the Magna is a complete waste of money. As a mechanic, I can put the same edge on the blade easily with my 20 year old delta bench grinder i bought for $25 20 years ago.

Dennis Davis
07-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Search this site using the search feature for "lawn striper" and then open the thread entitled Ultimate Homemade Lawn Striper. This is the example I copied except my roller assembly is only 7 wheels wide. I did find that when making turns on the sidewalks that the roller left some black marks. I added a chain from bottom of the roller bracket up to a swivel handle so I can lift the roller when needed. I'll try to get a picture taken so you can see what I'm talking about.

No, I'm not associated with Magna-Matic in any way. I first bought my MM-1000 balancer through a third party vendor. I was using a 4 1/2 inch hand grinder to sharpen my blades. I then investigated the MM company and learned about the sharpeners. I read a lot of reviews and comments on this site, and elsewhere, and found most of them to be favorable. I then ordered my MM-8000 sharpener direct from the factory. A bit pricey, yes, but it is a workhorse and very well made. I'm happy and that's all that matters.

KLC LAWN
07-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Stand with the sun behind you when taking a pic of stripes

KLC LAWN
07-24-2011, 11:55 AM
Looks like you shot that pic about noon, I find mid afternoon sun behind you gives best representation of stripes

tm14930
07-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Dennis, You can mow my lawn anytime you want! (NJ) Those stripes look better than "mom's apple pie" Great job..

chesterlawn
07-24-2011, 04:44 PM
Nice way to advertise.

PlantscapeSolutions
07-24-2011, 05:03 PM
What did that cost?

Your looking at about $1000 on ebay.

PlantscapeSolutions
07-24-2011, 05:26 PM
I agree the Magna is a complete waste of money. As a mechanic, I can put the same edge on the blade easily with my 20 year old delta bench grinder i bought for $25 20 years ago.

If you don't own a Magna-Matic then how do you know your able to do the same thing? You've got to realize the people on here who own Magna-Matics are experienced in the old school ways of sharpening as well as being well versed in using the Magna-Matic. Magna-Matic owners speak from experience not ignorance when they make their claims on how much better the 8000's & 9000's are then the more crude and time wasting old school sharpeners. I realize sometimes you can't teach an old dog new tricks:laugh:

Mikegyver
07-24-2011, 07:31 PM
So its a small kit you built for you 21"? Could you post a pic?
Mike

br549oicu8
07-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Exactly! We are in our 31st year. I have used bench grinders, hand grinders, an RGB Grinder a Neary grinder, etc. I broke down last year and bought the Magna-Matic at the GIE Expo. It DOES make a difference. I would not have believed it without experiencing it. Ask Grassman177 on here about it. He absolutely swears by it!!!

If you don't own a Magna-Matic then how do you know your able to do the same thing? You've got to realize the people on here who own Magna-Matics are experienced in the old school ways of sharpening as well as being well versed in using the Magna-Matic. Magna-Matic owners speak from experience not ignorance when they make their claims on how much better the 8000's & 9000's are then the more crude and time wasting old school sharpeners. I realize sometimes you can't teach an old dog new tricks:laugh:

Dennis Davis
07-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Mike...here is a picture of my Snapper with the striper attached. If you'll use the search feature for this site and search for "lawn striper" then open the thread Ultimate Home Made Lawn Striper. This is the model I used to build my striper only mine only has 7 wheels on it.

I found that when turning on sidewalks/driveways the rollers left some black skid marks. I added the black handle and chain which is attached to the lower part of the main bracket. I lift the roller for any turns and the skid marks are now not a problem.

For those who are questioning my possible association with Magna-Matic, there is none. I initially bought my MM-1000 balancer from a third party. At the time, I was using a 4 1/2 inch hand grinder and metal files to sharpen my blades. I did some further research about MM and found that they made the sharpeners. Most of the comments I found about them, on this site and others, were positive. I visited their web page and viewed their videos, read all I could in their forum and decided to buy the MM-8000. Yep, they're pricey, but they sure work great. I'm happy and for me, that's all that matters.

Dennis Davis
07-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Mike...here's try #2 at adding a picture. Well, I'll be! If you click on the yellow upload button it does what it's supposed to do. Operator error...sorry folks.

Magna-Matic
07-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Hello All,

Thank you for the testimonials.

Just a quick note - the MAG-9000 is $630 and the MAG-8000 is $1,120
I just wanted people to know that we have sharpeners under $1000 as well.
http://www.magna-matic-direct.com/category-s/1.htm

Please keep in mind there are very very few people skilled enough with a bench grinder to replicate an angle by eye - so for the vast majority of people who do not have the time to hone that art form - Magna-Matic sharpeners will provide a consistent 30 degree angle in 1-2 min without burning every time.

Thank you,

georgiagrass
07-25-2011, 06:33 PM
I have to weigh in on the Magna Matic sharpener. I bought one about 3 years ago, paying about $1k. Pricey, I know, but I believe it's worth it in the long run, just like any tool that you plan to use for many years. It will also keep your shop a lot cleaner because it controls the filings.

PlantscapeSolutions
07-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Hello All,

Thank you for the testimonials.

Just a quick note - the MAG-9000 is $630 and the MAG-8000 is $1,120
I just wanted people to know that we have sharpeners under $1000 as well.
http://www.magna-matic-direct.com/category-s/1.htm

Please keep in mind there are very very few people skilled enough with a bench grinder to replicate an angle by eye - so for the vast majority of people who do not have the time to hone that art form - Magna-Matic sharpeners will provide a consistent 30 degree angle in 1-2 min without burning every time.

Thank you,

I have the 8000 but I suspect you can probably use the 9000 on the Oregon Gator mulching blades. The Gator blades have a flat surface but the blades from J Thomas and some other places twist a little and won't work. This would be a good point for people on a budget to know.

I realize that probably 90% of the company just run regular blades, open chutes, and just blow grass into the flower beds. I assume the 9000 is the biggest seller by far. $630 is really a bargain when you compare it to RCB and others that require truck freight and take up twice as much space.

Dennis Davis
07-25-2011, 08:09 PM
KLC suggested that I take my striping pictures in the afternoon...so I did. Here's a shot taken about 2.30 p.m. and it does make a difference in the view. Hey, did I say thank you to all the members of this great forum. Reading about your equipment, jobs, and the challenges of providing great service to a demanding public makes for interesting reading. And a thank you to the mods and admin folks who work in the background to keep things humming along.

Dennis

Mikegyver
07-25-2011, 08:10 PM
Mike...here's try #2 at adding a picture. Well, I'll be! If you click on the yellow upload button it does what it's supposed to do. Operator error...sorry folks.
Thanks...that looks awesome.
Mike

bulwa11
07-27-2011, 05:40 AM
looks extremely good, very good work :)

Mudly
07-27-2011, 09:56 PM
these are some of the best stripes on lawnsite. a little tweaking needs to be done to your first wheel on the left so it doesnt leave that strip in the stripe if it bothers you.
heres my 2 cents on the sharpener.
i have a chuck on my bench grinder I slide the blade across which gives me the desired angle.

flatlander42
07-27-2011, 11:45 PM
a little tweaking needs to be done to your first wheel on the left so it doesnt leave that strip in the stripe if it bothers you.

Are you sure that is not just the little bit of overlap from the previous pass?

I do agree....Very Nice lawn!!

IN TURF
07-28-2011, 06:12 AM
Nice looking yard

Capemay Eagle
07-28-2011, 06:37 PM
Looks like a really nice street, certainly a nice view of the mountains! Nice work!

Dennis Davis
09-29-2011, 09:54 PM
Bump! Just bumping this thread in case some homeowner is looking on here for ideas on building a striper for his 21" mower. Mine is pictured on page 4 of this thread. There are other articles on this site that pertain to larger mowers. Again, thanks for the kind comments back when the thread was first posted. LawnSite is the best!!

dwost
09-30-2011, 08:16 AM
Dennis, looks great! From a fellow homeowner who also owns a MM and has built the same striper as you for my BB, the combined results are great. Sharpeners are expensive, but the results with a dedicated piece of equipment is hard to beat. For those of you saying they are too much $$, you drop thousands on your equipment this is just a bit of insurance to keep them cutting optimally while minimizing vibration and getting the most out of your blades. As just a homeowner i see the value in it so as a professional LCO this should be part of your arsenal no questions asked.

Dennis Davis
05-21-2012, 10:23 PM
As Mudly suggested, I moved the angle brackets to the outside of the rollers and now I no longer get those gaps in the striping. Thanks again for a great forum.

robstandard
05-22-2012, 08:54 AM
Good lookin lawn!

BufalinoLand
05-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Magnamatic 9000. worth every cent. we cut 50 lawns a week, i sharpen blades 3 times a week. I would like to see someone sharpen blades as good or better with something else. i got it 5 years ago and dont know how i went without it

BGPM
05-28-2012, 12:27 AM
I was just clicking around and ended up on this post. Very nice lawn :)