PDA

View Full Version : X 10 - Pro

Richie@
07-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Anyone using x 10 products , if so have you had any problems with the product.

Thanks

bcg
07-23-2011, 04:27 PM
I've used it in the past and was very underwhelmed with it. You'll be better off spending a little extra for UPB products, and you'll get better interoperability with home automation systems.

The Lighting Geek
07-24-2011, 11:52 PM
I have used it in the past quite a bit. X-10 protocol is only effective in about 70% of the time and that is on a good day. Signal black holes in the home are very common and every time someone adds a toaster, router, big screen tv, etc., you are searching for the culprit creating so much noise it quits working again.

I agree that UPB is the only way to go, and Simply Automated has worked great for me. I have used some products from Web Mountain Technologies as well. They make a great interface to talk to the system via the internet. On larger systems it can save you a ton of time by adjusting things remotely while on the phone with the client. You should always use a phase coupler, and on larger homes with multiple sub panels, sometimes you need one in each panel as well. My house is completely automated, the lights adjust at sundown, I can tell if the garage door is open remotely and close it remotely. it has come in handy with service people.

I have an elderly person with dementia in the house so the lights have to be automatic. If I set it up, I can adjust the climate controls, turn on the jacuzzi, turn on/off water heater (nice if you have a cabin), all remotely from my truck in the field. It has convinced my clients that I am a Geek. LOL

Richie@
07-25-2011, 08:15 AM
We use the IntelliTouch control panel for Pool-Spa equipment an also Landscape Lighting which works very well.

Simply Automated system looks like it would be good for smaller Lighting systems without Pool equipment.

Thanks Guys

Mark B
07-25-2011, 08:30 AM
I just had a customer ask about using some type of automated for the lighting system. I have never had Anyone ask about it in the past. Hopefully I will get a learning curve on the job.
Posted via Mobile Device

NightScenes
08-05-2011, 12:33 PM
X-10 is not very good. We've gone to Insteon and LOVE it!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
08-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Hi Paul. I have looked at Insteon on a few occasions and read quite a few reviews on automation forums. The one thing that holds me back from trying is negative reports on the reliability of signal transmission/reception and the longevity of various modules.

How long have you been installing insteon?
Have you had any module failures?
Do you install a phase coupler on every job?
How does it perform on large size properties (3 acres +) ?

Thanks.

oberkc
08-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Perhaps I can help with the insteon part. I have a whole house filled with the stuff. It works well.

Regarding reliability, my understanding is that some of the early reliability problems are solved and we see less problems now. My personal experience supports this. I have had one failure out of around 50 devices, possibly due to my own fault, overloading the device.

As far as signal reliability, Smarthome has come up with "dual-band" devices (includes both powerline and RF). Use of these types of devices minimizes the need for a "phase coupler".

While my own property is relatively modest, many report good success on communication over long distances (couple hundred feet).

Yes, communication reliability can be a problem. This is often associated with larger installations where folks want to install insteon devices near surge supressors and uninterrupted power supplies. My suspicion is that use of insteon for simple control of a couple of transformers should work well for you. Personally, I control four small transformers for my landscape lighting (all LED) with insteon modules. My landscape lighting never fails to come on and go off when commanded.

Let me know if you think I can help further.

Steve Atkinson
09-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Here is an update to the X-10 story:

http://www.cepro.com/article/the_end_of_x10/?utm_source=CEPWeekly&utm_medium=email

NightScenes
09-04-2011, 01:54 PM
X-10 pro is going by by. YAY

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
09-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Does anyone here remember Heath Kit? X10 always reminded me of that.