PDA

View Full Version : How much lime? pH = 5.7

Lawn-Scapes
10-24-2002, 11:19 PM
Would 40 pounds/1000sf... be too much at once?

DaddyRabbit
10-25-2002, 06:42 AM
Don't ever worry about putting too much lime down except from the standpoint of cost $. You're not going to hurt anything w/it w/the exception of acid loving plants/shrubs.

CMerLand
10-25-2002, 09:42 AM
Daddy Rabbit,

Who or where did you ever hear that there is no such thing as too much lime????? Was it the same guy that told you that if 1 lb of pesticide will kill the grubs that 5 lbs is better??? Bet youve never seen a soil test in your life, have you? Please leave the industry immediately!!!

TSG

50 lbs of lime per 1000 square feet will raise your ph 1/2 of one point. However you should not exceed an application of 50 lbs per 1000 per application unless you are incorporating the lime into the soil as you will end up with a layered soil profile with the ph in the top inch being about 7 due to the heavy layer of lime, and the root zone slowly climbing up as the limestone gradually changes the overall ph.

Limestone takes time, to change the soil ph, 6 months or more depending on the type of material used. It is not an overnight fix to soil that slowly became acidic over the years. And dumping a ton of lime all at once isnt going to fix it any faster.

CMerrick

Green Pastures
10-25-2002, 10:27 AM
I've been told by my guys at Lesco that you can only put down 50 lbs. per 1000 at a time, and that you need 6 months between applications.

It sounds like you need several applications over the next year and a half.

I really trust my local Lesco guys. They have never steered me wrong, always helpful and know their stuff. If they suggest something, it has always done what I needed to get done. Find one in your area, or something similar and ask the questions you need to get answered. The only stupid question (within reason) is the one you do not ask. There should be no shame in a man trying to edumacate hisself. Er, uh.....Himself. :D

Scott

Gravely_Man
10-25-2002, 11:25 AM
Both Green Pastures & CmerLand have it right. You can't just spread a ton of lime and walk away. This is an involved and long-term process to get the soil PH back to where it should be. The end result wills not a much healthier and green lawn!

Gravely_Man