PDA

View Full Version : Outfitting enclosed trailer

PLM-1
07-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Just bought an 8.5x24 flat front enclosed with 6" of extra height. Looking for ideas on getting it set up. I'm going to use my Gridiron racks for the trimmers, blowers and such, but that's about where my ideas stop.

I was thinking I needed some shelving, possibly a work bench and a nice clean, not ghetto rigged, way of hanging tools.

Any pics and ideas?

4 seasons lawn&land
07-24-2011, 06:30 PM
no offense but did someone buy you your equipment? I cant imagine doing lawncare and working a brand new Denali like that, why not make more money if you can with a work truck.

PLM-1
07-24-2011, 06:58 PM
I do take offense to that. I work very hard for my money and I will spend it how I like. My last truck that I traded for this had over 330k miles on it and was an '04. I live in my truck and if that's where I choose to spend money, then so be it. I've owned this business for 11 years, I think I can make a decision on which truck to buy.

4 seasons lawn&land
07-24-2011, 08:33 PM
It happens, so I thought Id ask. Glad your doing well. For the most part people that have enough money to buy a brand new diesel denali did not get to that point by doing things like buying a brand new diesel denali for lawn care just to scratch and dent it up. It looks like your towing a Ferrari, customers must hide their wallets when you roll up in that rig.

There was a kid on here once with a new F450 diesel and 20 some foot trailer he towed his 1 ZTR with. His mom was a doctor...

PLM-1
07-24-2011, 11:03 PM
Well, my customers seem to love me. I have a 91% retention rate. About the only time I lose a client is because of death or moving. I mostly service high-end commercial and residential properties. They like to see clean, newer, non-leaking vehicles and equipment in their area. I get lots of comments on how professionally ran my company is as well as how clean and reliable I am. I don't do crap work and that costs money, they know it and are glad to pay.

That 07 2500HD you have there is probably nice as well. Do your clients think you're taking advantage of them because you have a nice truck? :hammerhead:

JDiepstra
07-24-2011, 11:11 PM
1. I am not aware of a diesel denali and
2. Wheres your truck lettering?
Posted via Mobile Device

KS_Grasscutter
07-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Very nice rig! I want an enclosed trailer so fricking bad! Im real tired of unloading every night... There are quite a few nice setups on here, just browse the picture forum.

How well are you guys doing with recovering from the tornado? Did any of your accounts get hit?

Back on topic, I would probably build a small workbench and shelves in the front, with maybe a tool box under the bench. If I recall right, it's GLS that has posted pics of their enclosed trailer set up that way. Also have the racks for trimmers near either the back door or the side door. Don't wanna have to crawl over things to get a weed eater out.

PLM-1
07-24-2011, 11:13 PM
1. I am not aware of a diesel denali and
2. Wheres your truck lettering?
Posted via Mobile Device

1. Look at the GMC website. New for '11
2. Just got the trailer a couple of days ago. Haven't even used it yet.

JDiepstra
07-24-2011, 11:17 PM
Wow well good for you then!
Posted via Mobile Device

PLM-1
07-24-2011, 11:22 PM
Very nice rig! I want an enclosed trailer so fricking bad! Im real tired of unloading every night... There are quite a few nice setups on here, just browse the picture forum.

How well are you guys doing with recovering from the tornado? Did any of your accounts get hit?

Back on topic, I would probably build a small workbench and shelves in the front, with maybe a tool box under the bench. If I recall right, it's GLS that has posted pics of their enclosed trailer set up that way. Also have the racks for trimmers near either the back door or the side door. Don't wanna have to crawl over things to get a weed eater out.

Thanks for the response. I looked around a bit through the picture forum. Didn't really find much without investing hours of time lol I'll look him up specifically and see what I can find. I like your idea of the trimmer racks toward the back, didn't think about that.

We are by no means back to normal here. I only lost a couple of properties for the time being while they're being rebuilt. I lost some equipment during the storm but they were about to be traded off anyway, so no big loss. I just lost them unexpectedly and had to hurry to replace them. The most frustrating part is all the contractors here doing crappy work and then jumping ship. The city is trying to keep that to a minimum but our devastation is obviously on such a huge level it's hard to enforce each individual contractor.

KS_Grasscutter
07-24-2011, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the response. I looked around a bit through the picture forum. Didn't really find much without investing hours of time lol I'll look him up specifically and see what I can find. I like your idea of the trimmer racks toward the back, didn't think about that.

We are by no means back to normal here. I only lost a couple of properties for the time being while they're being rebuilt. I lost some equipment during the storm but they were about to be traded off anyway, so no big loss. I just lost them unexpectedly and had to hurry to replace them. The most frustrating part is all the contractors here doing crappy work and then jumping ship. The city is trying to keep that to a minimum but our devastation is obviously on such a huge level it's hard to enforce each individual contractor.

Yea it seems like every time we have a bad hail storm here the town is chocked full of fly by night roofers that are here for 2 months. Most everyone I have talked to that has had roofs done by these types have things get stolen right around the time they leave. Interesting coincidence haha?

Good luck setting up your trailer, and once again, nice rig. Don't let all the jealous haters get ya down LOL.

4 seasons lawn&land
07-24-2011, 11:39 PM
Well, my customers seem to love me. I have a 91% retention rate. About the only time I lose a client is because of death or moving. I mostly service high-end commercial and residential properties. They like to see clean, newer, non-leaking vehicles and equipment in their area. I get lots of comments on how professionally ran my company is as well as how clean and reliable I am. I don't do crap work and that costs money, they know it and are glad to pay.

That 07 2500HD you have there is probably nice as well. Do your clients think you're taking advantage of them because you have a nice truck? :hammerhead:

My truck? You mean the scratch & dent factory? It dents when I look at it wrong. Id cry if I dented your truck. No need to be deffensive, all I did was say your equipment looks awesome. Even if it doesnt make business sense to me, maybe you are more carefull... hope you dont have employees.

lawnsunlimited6
07-25-2011, 12:08 AM
nice set up, i just purchased a 14ft v-nose black that i pull with my new black ford f-150 im like you, i live in my truck!!

scotts lawn care
07-25-2011, 07:14 AM
I pull a black 24 foot enclosed and love it! The more professional a company can look the better. Trimmer trap is what I use for hanging all my small equipment on the walls.
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerbrad
07-26-2011, 04:10 PM
Our ambulance service has an enclosed trailer almost the same as the one you just got and everytime I go in it during events, I always want to buy myself an enclosed trailer just like it...but its fully decked out with A/C-Heat too.

Anyway, I definately think building a shelving unit in the front would be an awesome idea. You will want to make sure you get cabinet doors that latch closed, so they don't open up and let everything spill out of them while driving down the road. A nice counter top under the cabinets with more storage under it would be awesome.

I'd also look at putting the e-track tie down system in the trailer to help secure things, if you don't already have them. They are nice and allow you to move the tie-down points around depending on the equipment/load you are hauling.

Have you looked into putting something on the floor? There is paint/stain type stuff you could use or there is always the rubbery type floor covering, I find that stuff to be nice.

I'm sure there is a nice tool rack that you could find to hang your shovles, rakes, etc. and not one of those cheap metal ones.

BTW, I really love your set up. Having nicer equipment always looks good and more professional (in my opinion). I think if your equipment is nice from the start, you are more apt to take care of it during the time that you own it.

BJWLAWNCARE
07-26-2011, 08:48 PM
I would look into the enclosed trimmer setup sold at northern tool made by buyers. Its less money, works great and is ez to use.

Az Gardener
07-26-2011, 11:27 PM
Without knowing what services do you perform on a consistent basis its difficult to offer the best advise but I can tell you what I have done. This is based on my experience running enclosed trailers for over 15 years.

I have a shelf wall that splits the front of the trailer from the back, it is accessible from both sides. My wall is just about 10-12 inches to the left of from my side door. All mowing equipment goes to the back in and out of the ramp. The lower shelf is high enough to get a walk behind engine under. I have racks on the walls for line trimmers and hedge trimmers on a stick. Our edger is also back there and a 6 ft ladder strapped to the wall.

Everything else is in the front. My blowers sit on a the 1st level of the shelf, it is just wide enough for back pack blowers and the tube. We also keep burlaps we use for collecting our bagged grass and a back pack sprayer on the shelf. It also holds a variety of box's like a lighting box, sprinkler/nozzle box, drip parts box, wall/vine anchor box, mechanics tool box. On the top shelf we keep power hedge trimmers, vacuum's, chainsaws, poly tubing and spaghetti.

From the ground outside the trailer you can reach any long handled tool we have like rakes , shovels etc. because have hangers attached to the front of the shelf wall described above and the additional wing wall that we add to the right as you enter the trailer. You can also reach the loppers and hand saws that are also hanging nearby. This wing wall to the right or front of the trailer creates a closet of sorts that works great for a bathroom. We also hang our garden hose in there and store some seldom used tools like a water broom and digging bar.

On the front wall we have a bin set up from Sam's club that we strap to the wall to hold stuff like small hand tools and extra stuff like light bulbs, sprinkler heads, fountain pumps, temp sprinklers etc. above the bins I have a locking cabinet that we keep our chemicals in.

Straight ahead as you enter the side door is another cabinet this one is custom built. It has a cover that drops down and doubles as a table and all our lunch stuff is in the cabinet.

On the front of the rig I have a 15 G nurse tank from northern tools that I keep regular gas in. It is mounted on on a small rack that keeps it about 4' above the ground. Under the rack is a cabinet that houses all our automotive fluids like motor oil, 2 cycle oil, WD 40 and grease gun. We also keep a 5-G gas can for 2 cycle mix. so all fueling occurs right there at the front of the trailer.

I also have ladder racks on the roof for for extension ladders and we could keep the spare tire up their but be don't. The floor has a coating of rhino liner and I order the trailer with extended tongue to keep from denting it while turning tight.

I did my best to put all the tools for a specific task in the same area and minimize the need to get in and out of the trailer or climb over equipment to get to things. Works for us.

pitrack
07-27-2011, 12:46 AM
It happens, so I thought Id ask. Glad your doing well. For the most part people that have enough money to buy a brand new diesel denali did not get to that point by doing things like buying a brand new diesel denali for lawn care just to scratch and dent it up. It looks like your towing a Ferrari, customers must hide their wallets when you roll up in that rig.

There was a kid on here once with a new F450 diesel and 20 some foot trailer he towed his 1 ZTR with. His mom was a doctor...

Way to benefit the thread made to help him figure out how to outfit his trailer.

I'm also curious as I bought an enclosed a couple months ago and still haven't done anything on the inside.

Falcon50EX
07-27-2011, 06:36 PM
Just bought an 8.5x24 flat front enclosed with 6" of extra height. Looking for ideas on getting it set up. I'm going to use my Gridiron racks for the trimmers, blowers and such, but that's about where my ideas stop.

I was thinking I needed some shelving, possibly a work bench and a nice clean, not ghetto rigged, way of hanging tools.

Any pics and ideas?

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=346647

I think this is what you are looking for. I hope it works Keep us up to date on the progress. I am looking at a 8x16 may be 8x14 5200 axles black my truck is also black

4 seasons lawn&land
07-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Way to benefit the thread made to help him figure out how to outfit his trailer.

I'm also curious as I bought an enclosed a couple months ago and still haven't done anything on the inside.

glad I could help!

Az Gardener
07-27-2011, 10:57 PM
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=346647

I think this is what you are looking for. I hope it works Keep us up to date on the progress. I am looking at a 8x16 may be 8x14 5200 axles black my truck is also black

I would be curious to see what that trailer looks like after a seasons use or more. Not very practical but it is pretty. You have to climb in and out to get rakes etc. All the long handled tools are on two racks so you have to pull off lots of whatever to get to the tools in the back. The line trimmers are right in the middle of the trailer so if the mowers finish first you are climbing over them to hang the trimmers or your waiting. If there is so much room in the trailer to walk around you probably could have bought a smaller cheaper trailer. Do you really need such a large tool box? I don't know maybe you do. Unless the wheel barrow is used daily it would be more practical on a roof rack. Hard to see how the gas cans are secured.

My vote is very pretty but not very practical.

Falcon50EX
07-28-2011, 07:09 AM
I would be curious to see what that trailer looks like after a seasons use or more. Not very practical but it is pretty. You have to climb in and out to get rakes etc. All the long handled tools are on two racks so you have to pull off lots of whatever to get to the tools in the back. The line trimmers are right in the middle of the trailer so if the mowers finish first you are climbing over them to hang the trimmers or your waiting. If there is so much room in the trailer to walk around you probably could have bought a smaller cheaper trailer. Do you really need such a large tool box? I don't know maybe you do. Unless the wheel barrow is used daily it would be more practical on a roof rack. Hard to see how the gas cans are secured.

My vote is very pretty but not very practical.

You have a point so let see it he will post some now pictures

Exact Rototilling
07-28-2011, 11:36 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Falcon50EX
07-28-2011, 02:16 PM
You have a point so let see it he will post some now pictures

Well a second try

You have a point so lets see if he will post some new pictures. I PM him

Oakleaf landscape
07-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Ill post some pictures of next week. I have changed things up a little bit but not much. Yea the trailer is a little big for me but I plan to expand a little and it will be nice to have the extra space.

rollman
08-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Any updates to your trailer storage solutions ? How do you like that 24 footer ? We're about to purchase a new trailer and thinking of getting a 24' as well .

groh_brian
09-03-2011, 09:23 PM
I like your truck/trailer combo. Looks sharp.