PDA

View Full Version : Demo'd me an EXMARK today!!!

dr grass
10-25-2002, 12:57 AM
Was out with the 721d "asshopper" today, and low and behold she puked on me .... what a suprise! lol. so i took er in. they gotta pull the tranny. i go to the local exmark dealer to rent a demo. only got one word ... WOW!!! this thing absolutely rips! the blades are dull as S%#T! probably has never been washed or maintained properly. this thing cuts better than my ***hoppers do on their best day! i cant wait til next year!!! im gonna ditch the pukehoppers and score some exmarks and start making some serious cheese like the rest of you big timers! lol. wish we could skip the snow crap and start right into cutting next spring. ha! dream on right........

shep :D

65hoss
10-25-2002, 01:08 AM
Nothing like a good eXmark cut. Glad you liked it. Start saving those pennies today.

Randy Scott
10-25-2002, 01:16 AM
Just imagine it new with good blades and those pretty white rims. Oh yeah, Gidddddddddeeeeee Up!

dr grass
10-25-2002, 01:21 AM
gee thanks randy. you give me the pic with the vac unit on it!!! lol actually, that is funny, because i asked the dealer if i could rent a vac. unit with the mower. He just looked at me like i asked him if i could rape his cat! haha. oh well, maybe the leaves didnt get cleaned up like we would of liked, but dammit they got chewed up!!!!

shep :cool:

Envy Lawn Service
10-25-2002, 02:14 AM
Shep,

I'll keep your words in mind about those asshoppers, ***hoppers, pukehoppers, heck whatever you want to call them.

Their marketing department in KS and the local deler are trying their best to impress me and sweet talk me into a new mid-mount.

I too demo'd me an Exmark this week. I haven't had the Grasshopper out yet. So I can run any compairison, but I have a feeling now that I'm going to be disappointed in it.

mdb landscaping
10-25-2002, 08:12 AM
great to hear you like exmark. you wont be disappointed if you get one.:)

dr grass
10-25-2002, 09:08 AM
well, let me explain my situation first. i once upon a time a few years back was a proud exmark owner. 60" fan - cooled model.
i sold her because she was just getting a little tired, and i wanted to upgrade. well, i sold my mower and my trailer that had been hit, and was in the market the next spring for a new setup. a buddy of mine was looking to get out of the lawn care biz (so he said at the time - he is now back in the industry, and i flip him off every time i see him) so i told him i was interested. he had some nice accounts and good hand tools. the only thing i was unsure of was the brokehoppers that he had. long story short i put somewhere in the ballpark of 6 - 7 grand into these stupid things last year, and i havent figured out the total for this year, but i will admit that it wont be that much .... pry because i replaced just about every damn part on the machines!!! lol thats why in my original post i was laughing when it broke down. i literally was laughing when the tranny started to go on her. i use to get pissed off to no ends when that stuff happened, but ive grown to live with, and accept it.
Envy - i will admit the 721d is a great model for fall cleanups. mine is old and half asleep, and i think a new model would clean up even better. they are a high maintenance machine, so be prepared if you choose it. the 225 models are OK mid mounts, but get out the checkbook for repairs also. the cut on it is NOTHING in compairson to the eXmark! as far as speed, the demo was mowing circles around the 225 last night!! i would definately steer anyone i knew in the market for a new commercial mower toward the eXmark.
Just an added note : anyone considering buying out another LCO. GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING AND NOTORIZED!!! It saved my ***, and could well save yours!!

Shep :angel:

P. Nelson
10-25-2002, 11:18 AM
What year was your 721 D and how many hours on it? Just curious as to what I might expect to go wrong and when.

dr grass
10-25-2002, 01:07 PM
p nelson - my 721 is a 1996 and it has roughly 2200 hours on it. ive had anywhere from tranny to electrical to hydro problems with it. you name it, ive had problems with it.
envy - why did they bleep out "***hoppers" in your post, but they left mine in my original post. yours was their earlier ... weird man werid :confused:
as for today - had the demo out in the rain!! woo hoo! im getting all sorts of conditions to play in. this thing was sticking to the side of a pretty steep hill like it was glued to it. man i love that mower even more today!! cant wait til next year... Even my forman today said he couldnt wait for next spring!

Shep :cool:

P. Nelson
10-25-2002, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the information. I (knock on wood) have had great results with my hopper. Mine is a 2002 model with only 120 hours on it. I've talked to alot of hopper owners in the area and didn't hear anything but good results. I hope mine doesn't do what yours did. In this area I see (in this order) mostly hopper then exmark, then hustler. Good luck with your exmark I know that it will be an excellent investment.:)

LAWNGODFATHER
10-25-2002, 03:02 PM
Hey we now figured out why you think dull blades cut grass better. LMAO

Here is a shot of a different vac for ya.

dr grass
10-25-2002, 05:56 PM
nelson - great to hear about your luck with your hoppers. l bought mine used do im not sure how they were treated or maintained before me. we know that can make a world of difference. i am impressed with the 721d clean-up abilities, and would consider buying a new one to at least give the mower a fair chance.

shep

mdb landscaping
10-25-2002, 06:31 PM
is that armorall i see on the tires?:D

dlandscaping
10-25-2002, 07:12 PM
The dealer should have gotten you an ultravac to demo in the rain. You wouldnt be impressed to say the least. At demo days last week i put the zhp 52inch 23 kawi with ultravac to the test, it flunked miserably.

dr grass
10-25-2002, 07:16 PM
dland - ok now which one is the ultravac? the one you have to get off and deal with the bags, or the one you dump from the seat. what were the problems you encountered. i appreciate any info on an eXmark, as i am leaning heavy toward purchasing a few of these in the spring.

shep :dizzy:

LAWNGODFATHER
10-25-2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by mdb landscaping
is that armorall i see on the tires?:D The tires have not dried yet from washing it off.

dr grass mine is a Peco Vac, has a 6hp Kohler pony motor and "CAN" work in the rain, as I have done many time removing leaves.

Here'a shot of the other side.

dlandscaping
10-25-2002, 07:58 PM
Problems with ultravac with twin bagger in back. 20 minute demo

1. belt falls off vac as rep is showing it to me
2. retighten attach belt
3. falls off again fixed "for real" this time
4. turn blades on falls off reattached tightened by mechanic
5. Went 5 feet into thick grass cutting at 3inches grass about 5icnhes, clog up machine.
6. lower height to 2.25 mowed premowed grass cut off .75 inches, machine clogged again needed to be stopped and taken apart found bunch of grass near dischage.
7. Start up mow, grass blowout all over me, tube is blocked take off shake out.
8. Raise to 3" tackle some weed/grass of 5-7" somewhat wet but not thick
9. Took half a swipe 26" width clogged vac 3 more times
Overall not impressed once so ever worked like crap didnt suck up a few leaves even at 2.25 peco or trac vac much better choice imho

dr grass
10-25-2002, 08:55 PM
Lawngodfather - nice rig! does that dump from the seat? do you know if eXmark makes a model of that with no external motot. say one that is run off a pully/belt system like the Grosshopper 721?

dland - wow! that sounds like a piece of crap. so you think it was possible that you got a lemon? j/w

well, it is still raining out here, and possibly into the morning. i got the demo yesterday about 2:00 pm. ive only cut 2 yards with it! Hoping that it will be clear in the morning so i can try it out some more before i have to take it back. :rolleyes:

Shep

LAWNGODFATHER
10-25-2002, 08:59 PM
Yes dump from the seat.

There is also the www.proteroinc.com which is similar but with a pully system, but I have not tried them.

Exmark as of now does not make a dump from the seat vac unit.

Envy Lawn Service
10-25-2002, 11:37 PM
Shep,

sorry to hear you've had so many problems with your Brokehopper. Heck, I never knew these existed unit I stopped to yack at one of my fellow LCO's. He was out on his Toro Z Master. I sked how he liked it. He said not near as much as the Grasshoppers they have.

He went on to tell me that he was letting some of the help run his bacase the help insisted on having the GH for himself for a while. He said he'd never by another Toro over the GH and would be replacing it with one as soon as it puked.

I guess you win some, you loose some. I guess I'll see how things play out for me.

Navig8r
10-26-2002, 11:29 AM
I picked up my ultra-vac about a month ago, and I've had none of the problems described above.

Dland.... was it dry or raining?

I haven't tried mine in the rain yet, but it works great in average conditions... I've had no problems w/ the belt.. it's self tensioning, maybe that's a new feature from what you demo'd

I have had no problems w/ the belt falling off either.. unless I put it on wrong from the start.... only takes less than 5 minutes to hang the whole unit on the mower and get cuttin.......

Also.. it seems there is a NEW bagger from exmark..... posted elsewhere on lawnsite.... that DOES dump from the seat!!

It's only available for the full-size Z though:(

Sorry, I dont have the link, but a search for "QDS" should turn it up..

65hoss
10-26-2002, 12:11 PM
dlandscaping, sounds like the idiots that were working with you need to learn to set it up. I've been using an ultravac since the fall of 2000, and have never clogged it up 1 time, except when I do it on purpose to mulch. If the belt is not attached properly it will still spin the vac unit, but not at full speed. Thus why you got the clogging. Once its on correctly the belt tensioner will keep it working correctly.

I took my mulch kit off and put the ultravac on about 2 weeks ago. Its picked up grass, leaves and shrub clippings without a single problem. Heck, I'm still using the original belt on the ultravac.

Your making assumptions and downing a piece of equipment you don't know about. Its apparent since the belt kept coming off it wasn't put on right. Your making assumptions based on 20 minutes of demo that idiots put together for you. You need to find someone in your area that actually uses one and see how it does. With the anti-blowout baffle you can suck leaves off concrete.

Here is what I like about the unit:
1. It handles material extremely well.
2. Take the unit off with no tools in about 20 seconds to get thru gates, etc, and put it back on without tools in 20 seconds.
3. Bag design is tappered and wet leaves or grass dump out with having to shake them.
4. The anti-blowout baffle added to the mower makes this a great leaf vac. No more chasing things around like before.

LAWNGODFATHER
10-26-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Navig8r

Also.. it seems there is a NEW bagger from exmark..... posted elsewhere on lawnsite.... that DOES dump from the seat!! Link is not needed it is an assumtion and does not exsist.

Once there are pictures of it then it will exsist as of now there is no such thing from Exmark!!!

LAWNGODFATHER
10-26-2002, 01:49 PM
Correction ,here is a pic of it.

dr grass
10-26-2002, 04:57 PM
another wet , gloomy day for the eastern michigan area. i had to take back the demo today, and i think i had a tear in my eye as i pulled into the dealer's. lol. i only got to use her on 2 yards, and on the second one it got REAL wet. all in all i would say it was worth it. the dealer knocked off a big chunck from the price, and even took a good half hour to let me pick his brain. definately gonna head out there in the spring to pick up some new units. he did mention there was a dump from the seat vac unit. lawngodfather confirmed it with the pic.
dland - i gotta agree with hoss on this one. dont let some reknob that never cut a blade of grass in his life influence your decision about a product. ask around. paticularly other lco's that use eXmark equipment. talk to them, get their opinions and move on. eventually after doing this again and again, you can safely form an opinion about the product. i would have to say after doing research, talking to lco's, talking to dealers .... eXmark is the top in its class. i would have to mention without sounding to conceided, i think my opinion is a little better than your average joe just looking to buy a new eXmark. I say this because , i am a former eXmark owner. my machine would start every day, all day, without hesitation, and put a hurting to the grass. cant wait to lay some stripes with new eXmarks next year!!!

later all......

shep :blob4:

dlandscaping
10-26-2002, 05:21 PM
First it was dry.
Second the rep is for New England so i think he knows his stuff and the dealer is huge mechanics are very good as well. After it was fixed and i put it through its paces and clogged it again and again, i turned to the rep. He looked at me and said "this unit cant handle this type work and you are pushing it" He went on further to say "this are (3" grass) is what you would normaly be mowing to 2.5" not his 6" grass." I was shocked i never get to cut lawns are only 3" they grow like madd some are even growing 4-6" a week now. The ultravac would be useless to me from what i saw. Second this machine was a 2002 with under 50hrs on it. I also tried a lc 60 lazer and had the same trouble.

dr grass
10-27-2002, 10:17 AM
i dont know what else to say hoss!! i guess we lost another one to poor salesmanship! lol. oh well, he will learn in the long run. i know i have!!! hahaha!

shep :D