PDA

View Full Version : Naples Man dies after falling from ladder while trimming palm tree

FLAhaulboy
07-24-2011, 05:00 PM
http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2011/jul/24/naples-park-man-recalls-efforts-trying-save-man-wh/

A man fell to his death Saturday night while trimming trees in North Naples.

It wasn't clear Sunday afternoon whether the death of Amado Gomez, 32, was caused by coming into contact with a live electrical wire or falling more than 20 feet from a ladder while working at 361 Tradewinds Ave., in the Vanderbilt Beach area.

"A guy was trimming trees when one of the limbs fell down from the tree and knocked him off the ladder," said homeowner John Purvis, 71.

"I was walking out the door as I saw him just falling off the ladder."

Purvis said he hired a company, Ramon Landscaping. However, the contact information for the company was not immediately available and no local firm by that name could immediately be found. Purvis also said that Gomez would occasionally do work independently around the Purvis' home, but that he was working with the company Saturday evening.

Collier County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Michelle Batten said she believed more information on the landscapers, along with other information in an initial report, would be available on Monday.

It was unsettling for residents Purvis and wife Teri Purvis, 67.

"I was a medic for 35 years. I did CPR on him. He had no vitals, no pulse," said John Purvis.

Collier sheriff's deputies soon arrived and used an automated external defibrillator, or AED, on Gomez, Purvis said.

"When it comes close to you like that. He's a young person and I hated to see that. You just can't get used to it. It's a young life," Purvis said.

The Sheriff's Office is conducting a death investigation, as is routine, Batten said. However, there is nothing suspicious about the death, she said.

Little information about Gomez was immediately available, she said.

Sheriff’s deputies were called at 5:13 p.m. Saturday and Gomez was proclaimed dead at NCH North Naples Hospital, Batten said.

Gomez's wife was at the hospital and was informed, but she was his estranged wife, Batten said. His address is not yet known.

While the Collier County Medical Examiner's Office will determine the cause of death, Purvis said he suspected it was the fall. The man suffered a significant head injury, he said.

"When he hit, in my opinion, he was gone," Purvis said.

Landscape Poet
07-24-2011, 05:12 PM
Was he doing them for $25 is the question?

Ric
07-25-2011, 07:32 AM

Mikey

That is the going price for trimming palms so get over it. Under Florida Law a tree trimmer only needs a $ 35.00 Occupational license to be legal. Then no one checks that Tax stamp type license so most Fly By Nights don't have that license.

I think a Northern Loser living in Grandma's Basement would already know the biggest Beer or Bag quick pop. It only takes a few trees to be set with Beer or Bag Bucks for the week.

jvanvliet
07-25-2011, 04:56 PM

Just did 3 under 20ft. @$45 each (little dirty) :cool2:. My man didn't fall of the ladder because 1: the ladder was secured to the tree and 2: he was wearing a rigging harness. He wasn't electrocuted because anytime we go up on a ladder, we check for overhead lines... first! If FPL has wires through the trees or palms, I won't trim them, period. It's important to leave a little on the table for the next guy :)

Florida Gardener
07-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Just did 3 under 20ft. @$45 each (little dirty) :cool2:. My man didn't fall of the ladder because 1: the ladder was secured to the tree and 2: he was wearing a rigging harness. He wasn't electrocuted because anytime we go up on a ladder, we check for overhead lines... first! If FPL has wires through the trees or palms, I won't trim them, period. It's important to leave a little on the table for the next guy :)

What kind of palms??
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
07-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Mikey

That is the going price for trimming palms so get over it. Under Florida Law a tree trimmer only needs a $ 35.00 Occupational license to be legal. Then no one checks that Tax stamp type license so most Fly By Nights don't have that license.

I think a Northern Loser living in Grandma's Basement would already know the biggest Beer or Bag quick pop. It only takes a few trees to be set with Beer or Bag Bucks for the week.

I'm not so sure that's entirely correct Ric. I mean you are correct about the hackers and pikers but as a legit co, in PBC & BC, if I use a bucket I need to have an arborist license and a $hit load of insurance. The occupational license is cheap, but I have to pay a lot more insurance and WC when I trim what I can't reach from the ground or call my self a "tree service".

jvanvliet
07-25-2011, 05:05 PM
What kind of palms??
Posted via Mobile Device

Washingtonia Robusta; I knew I should have taken pics given the contention on the last palm pricing post. As we were trimming 2 cars stopped and asked if we could trim theirs, I said sure $45.00, they'll call me...

Florida Gardener
07-25-2011, 05:11 PM
$45 for washy's is a good price. I just did three cabbage today that were clean and all 20' or less and I charged $30/tree. All I did was remove the fruits and 4 total fronds(3 dead, 1 chlorotic). I keep full palms. I was done with all 3 in 30 min.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
07-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Jvan- are you sure about that? I called Tampa code enforcement and they said no such thing. Must have a tax stamp license to pull a tree permit on a property you don't own though. Insurance is a great idea but not a legal requirement. BC and WPB might have their own rules though.
Posted via Mobile Device

RussellB
07-25-2011, 05:25 PM
This appears to be a tragic accident. Every last one of us has performed work for less than the job was worth and every one of us has taken chances. Hopefully this guys death will help save someone elses life.

jvanvliet
07-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Jvan- are you sure about that? I called Tampa code enforcement and they said no such thing. Must have a tax stamp license to pull a tree permit on a property you don't own though. Insurance is a great idea but not a legal requirement. BC and WPB might have their own rules though.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's true, there is no state requirement. I don't require a permit to thin, trim or top (no more than 20% off the top, hat raking is illegal). I need a permit to remove indigenous species like slash pine, live oak, or cypress.

If I work in Palm Beach County or Broward County and employ any mechanical device such as a bucket or lift, the counties want me licensed and insured for tree work.

As an example, in Broward I need a plumbers license to do irrigation, in Palm Beach I need an irrigation license. It's messed up, every city has it's own way of doing things too, with Lake Worth and Coral Springs being the worst.

jvanvliet
07-25-2011, 05:32 PM
$45 for washy's is a good price. I just did three cabbage today that were clean and all 20' or less and I charged $30/tree. All I did was remove the fruits and 4 total fronds(3 dead, 1 chlorotic). I keep full palms. I was done with all 3 in 30 min.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's a better deal than mine, these were a little dirty and took us about 60 minutes. We don't "hurricane" trim either, it'll cause more damage in strong winds when the heart isn't protected by the other fronds.

Ric
07-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Mikey

Yo

The main point I was trying to make is 99% of the places in Florida you would trim a tree, have no one enforcing the laws or ordinances. Therefore tree trimming is a free for all for the Scrubs. I am not defending the $ 25.00 palm trim, When I had the Big show I couldn't let my employee off the ground for insurance reason. Therefore I subcontracted all my tree work to a legal company. It was cheaper than getting sued or losing my insurance.

GreenT
07-25-2011, 11:59 PM

I'll save everyone the aggravation and won't comment.

A Leaf Above
07-27-2011, 06:25 AM
Jvanvliet ....I am in Broward and had no idea that you need a plumbers license to do irrigation work ...That must just be for full installs ?permitting and such ?
Everytime i asked anybody they said you dont need license for repairs ..is this true ?

Way to much misinformation out there if you ask me ...Thanksd in advance ..

Ron

That's true, there is no state requirement. I don't require a permit to thin, trim or top (no more than 20% off the top, hat raking is illegal). I need a permit to remove indigenous species like slash pine, live oak, or cypress.

If I work in Palm Beach County or Broward County and employ any mechanical device such as a bucket or lift, the counties want me licensed and insured for tree work.

As an example, in Broward I need a plumbers license to do irrigation, in Palm Beach I need an irrigation license. It's messed up, every city has it's own way of doing things too, with Lake Worth and Coral Springs being the worst.

Patriot Services
07-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Jvanvliet ....I am in Broward and had no idea that you need a plumbers license to do irrigation work ...That must just be for full installs ?permitting and such ?
Everytime i asked anybody they said you dont need license for repairs ..is this true ?

Ron

The only person you should really be asking is the county code office of the county you want to do said work in.:usflag:

jvanvliet
07-27-2011, 07:29 PM

Ron

Listen to Patriot Services, each County is different and then the cities may have additional requirements. You really need to make two calls, County Code & City Code.

I can tell you this, In Broward as well as PBC, they are not going to hassle you if you are an LCO and you repair a sprinkler you broke. If you are going to do wet checks, maintenance, any type of installation or upgrade the County is going to say you are acting as an irrigation contractor and will issue a cease and desist order, take a picture of your DL, truck, license plate, etc.

Or the guy may have had a bad day and he'll have you arrested and impound your truck. No kidding!

Anyway... plumbers license in Broward, irrigation license in PBC... One will not accept the other, if you cross county lines you'll need both. By the way, there is no state requirement - yet, and it would seem not in Pinelas County either...