PDA

View Full Version : for the new guys

DiSantolandscaping
07-24-2011, 09:53 PM
thos of you that think there is a lot of money in landscaping.. theres not. Just say you have one big mulch job to do in the spring. If you have two guys doing the job, it should take abut 24 hours. depending on how fast they work. now figure your paying them 10 an hour, its really costing you 15 or so an hour to cover there insurance, comp, and taxes. then say you pay 25 a yrd for mulch, thats 2500. 2500+720+50 for gas thats 3424 for three days work that its going to cost you. Then you add 15% to the mulch and that gives you 654 dollars profit margin for that job. thats really not a whole lot. plus you have rent, your own insurance, utility payments etc, so you might break even on the job.

JDiepstra
07-24-2011, 09:58 PM
What the heck kind of a worthless post is this?!
Posted via Mobile Device

LegendaryLawns
07-24-2011, 09:59 PM
inspiring?

DiSantolandscaping
07-24-2011, 10:00 PM
just telling all the new guys that think there gonna make 100 000 a year and have all brand new trucks, and equipment etc.

THIESSENS TLC
07-24-2011, 10:03 PM
If your good and you know what your doing....then there is loads of money to be made in landscaping. Thats where the money is! I'm not sure whats going on inside your head...

Angelo585
07-24-2011, 10:17 PM
If your good and you know what your doing....then there is loads of money to be made in landscaping. Thats where the money is! I'm not sure whats going on inside your head...

EXACTLY!!!! keep overhead to a minimum and productivity high, be competitive but not a lowballer and there is money to be made!

KrayzKajun
07-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Sounds like someone got under bid today!
Posted via Mobile Device

DiSantolandscaping
07-24-2011, 10:30 PM
i didnt get underbid i just was saying that there is only like a 15% profit margine on commercial jobs. so if you add up all of your exspenses and stuff unless you have a lot of work lined up yea you can make money but your not going to be rich for say unless you are right out straight. maybe im wrong but thats what i figured out/.

Angelo585
07-24-2011, 10:44 PM
i didnt get underbid i just was saying that there is only like a 15% profit margine on commercial jobs. so if you add up all of your exspenses and stuff unless you have a lot of work lined up yea you can make money but your not going to be rich for say unless you are right out straight. maybe im wrong but thats what i figured out/.

Depends on how you are figuring your profit... are you factoring in total overhead including your and employee's payroll, fixed and variable costs? if so then 15% is a descent number. It also depends on your sales volume!

if company A does 40k gross the at 15% profit would be 6K if Company A does 100k gross then at 15% you would be at 15k Keep in mind that that would be left after ALL expenses are met including YOUR salary, employee payroll, insurance, rent, materials... you get the picture.

MarkintheGarden
07-24-2011, 11:56 PM

I think you have figured it out, even if you have not yet figured out how to say it.

Landscaping and lawn mowing business is not a get rich quick situation.

If you want to get rich quick be a rockstar.

SMSnyder
07-25-2011, 12:59 AM
Or he's hoping guys like me that'd like to start up part time and possibly go full time read this and say screw that idea...then HE can take ALL the rockstar profits for HIMSELF! Not on my watch buddy. I'm here to read info and steal all of your guys' ideas and get rich, RICH I SAY! LOL

StihlMechanic
07-25-2011, 01:03 AM
I'm new and just broke 250k for the first 2 qtrs of the year gross rev. I doin just fine. Not sure what your talkin about.

Penncare
07-25-2011, 01:22 AM
I think the real question is: If there is no money in it, why are you still doing it, why are you on here complaining about it, why not just go get a job, go back to school, and for heavens sake don't say I can't afford to quit as that means you are making enough to stay at your current standard of living.

DiSantolandscaping
07-25-2011, 09:58 PM
im not saying you cant get rich im just saying it takes time and a lot of threads on here people say there just starting out and want new trucks, mowers, skid steers, and so on, it takes time i just got my first big job today and my friggan trimmer broke, but thats part of the game, you need to save money up for situations like this, my buddy is making close to a million a year doing landscaping but he married a girl whos father is in construction and hands him jobs left and right, but the way i see it im startiing at the bottom and trying to work my way up. I have hand tools, a wheel borrow, broken trimmer, and a 21 in push mower. but i bust my @$$ to try to get new equipment and so on.

rywnygc
07-25-2011, 10:34 PM
lets see..... last season I was running a 95 dodge ram with a 21" push in the bed. Surprisingly enough, the rust held together long enough to get me through the season. This year I have a nice F250 super duty diesel, a good trailer, 4 WB's, lots of handhelds.......AND STILL NO DEBT.

Manage your money right, and you'll be "on a MF boat yall" in no time. Ok maybe not on a boat, but you can make good money.

StihlMechanic
07-28-2011, 11:55 PM
:laugh:lets see..... last season I was running a 95 dodge ram with a 21" push in the bed. Surprisingly enough, the rust held together long enough to get me through the season. This year I have a nice F250 super duty diesel, a good trailer, 4 WB's, lots of handhelds.......AND STILL NO DEBT.

Manage your money right, and you'll be "on a MF boat yall" in no time. Ok maybe not on a boat, but you can make good money.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:I'm on a boat! Love SNL.

93Chevy
07-29-2011, 12:04 AM
I think Horatio Brickman and Gregg ValleyCrest might beg to differ with anybody that says there's no money to be made.

MowHouston
07-29-2011, 12:14 AM
thos of you that think there is a lot of money in landscaping.. theres not. Just say you have one big mulch job to do in the spring. If you have two guys doing the job, it should take abut 24 hours. depending on how fast they work. now figure your paying them 10 an hour, its really costing you 15 or so an hour to cover there insurance, comp, and taxes. then say you pay 25 a yrd for mulch, thats 2500. 2500+720+50 for gas thats 3424 for three days work that its going to cost you. Then you add 15% to the mulch and that gives you 654 dollars profit margin for that job. thats really not a whole lot. plus you have rent, your own insurance, utility payments etc, so you might break even on the job.

I didn't even read past the first post because I already see the problem with your math.

Your materials cost for mulch is $25/yd: $2500
Your cost of labor for two people including employer responsibilities is $30/hr: $720
Your cost for fuel to the job and back: $50.
TOTAL EXPENSES: $3270 (Not $3424)

Material markup @ 15%: $375 (Where did you pull $654 from?)
Total profit per day for three days: $125

Now that we have the incorrect math out of the way, the root of your problem.

People generally price mulch jobs by the yard. You are essentially telling us that you are getting the mulch for $25/yd then marking up an extra 15% ($3.75) to get your total rate?

That means you're laying mulch for a price of $28.75/yd.

^ That is your problem. You need to sit down and look at your expenses. Do your math right so that you don't underbid stuff like this, whether this is a fictional project or not.

Hint: People generally charge $50 - $70/yd to install mulch.

rywnygc
07-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Yeah, I have a minimum of 65 per yard. That's if it's easy. If there are weeds to pull, long walk with a wheel barrow, obstacles, etc etc., it can easily go up to 95 a yard.

I started doing mulch jobs on my own this season. I was paying 26 a yd, charging 30 a yard and just adding a labor rate to the whole job......I lost my ass on a couple jobs before I started charging per yd. I average 80 per yd.

Pressedun
07-29-2011, 06:57 PM

Couldn't agree more... it's not going to happen over night either, take the time to build customer relationships and build a reputation that will make prospective customers choose your company. There's tons of money out there being spent on landscaping and lawn care, it's up to you to get a piece of that pie!