PDA

View Full Version : dump trucks and stuck grass

Shady Brook
10-25-2002, 01:17 AM
For those of you own dump trucks, if you leave grass in the back for several days, or even for weeks prior to dumping, do you ever find that the load gets stuck in the bed? I was at the dump this year, and helped a guy shovel out his dump cus the grass was wet, and matted to the bed, and would not come out. Anyone have this trouble?
Thanks
Jay

dr grass
10-25-2002, 01:25 AM
sorry man, i dont have a dump. gonna pick one up in the spring though. ill let you know than......

shep

Boycea
10-25-2002, 01:28 AM
Yeah, i have had that problem with my dump, especially in the far corners. Their are some companies around that will spray the bed of the truck, almost like a liner. They claim it will not allow any debris to stick to the bed of the dump body such as wet soil, or wet grass.

Mykster
10-25-2002, 02:31 AM
Too bad Mo-Deck doesn't make a big Industrial size spray can. Seems that would help a little. lol

deason
10-25-2002, 02:52 AM
It is a simple fix.

Dont leave anything in the bed for any length of time. IE.-one or 2 days or weeks.

Start fixing this by keeping the bed clean after EACH dump. Then, after a while, it will clean itself.

When hauling sticky, wet rock or gravel, a very thin coat of diesel fuel applied with a garden sprayer will keep the bed slick.

Always tilt the bed slightly when the unit is parked for a while. Even a heavy dew can make the unpainted areas rust overnight.

Cleaniness is the trick.

Tony Harrell
10-25-2002, 06:27 AM
Most dump trucks I see are tilted when parked overnight. This is sort of like asking how to get a weeks worth of crud from under your deck, don't let it happen.

Shady Brook
10-25-2002, 09:46 AM
Yeah, I realize that leaving the junk sit in the bed is not ideal, I was just not sure if it would stick on a regular basis, if grass was left in there for a while. See, I don't take a great deal of grass, and when do, it usually sits in my truck for quite a while. The reason being, I hate to pay to dump, when I do not hardly have a load, and it is a pain to dump do to the layout of the facilities, and the location. I dread taking grass. If I can get more landscapeing work, I could justify the dump, but I do not think I want to take loads more grass, to justify buying a dump, that needs dumped every other day. I appreciate your honest answers fellas, they are very helpful.

Jay

AL Inc
10-25-2002, 10:18 AM
Jay- I can't say I have ever had this problem, and I have gone 2-3 weeks without dumping. I also avoid taking away grass. I might have to raise the dump, reverse, then hit the brakes in order to get it out. May have to do this several times. Sure beats the old days of forking stuff out of a pick-up. Mike

walker-talker
10-25-2002, 10:20 AM
I might suggest using some corn oil and a pump up sprayer. I guess you could even use old motor oil.

MATT

Gravely_Man
10-25-2002, 04:25 PM
I would highly recommend the use of diesel lightly sprayed in the bed and more frequent dumping. The only problem with the spraying of diesel fuel is you have to be concerned with hauling anything that you want to stay alive and the EPA.

Gravely_Man

Bob Minney
10-25-2002, 07:13 PM
Put down a cheap (throw away) tarp. I buy them for $2-3. Or get a roll of plastic instead.

Turfdude
10-25-2002, 07:25 PM
Hello,

Open tailgate like a pick-up tailgate (ie:, remove pins at top or gate and leave chain links set so gate opens flat. DO NOT drop gate all the way as many times, as the bed raises, the gate digs into the hitch and or receiver and very bad things happen!)Raise the dump bed all the way. (If PTO, lower this knob, & leave hoist up). Give truck a little gas in reverse, then hit brakes. Repeat. Do same thing again in drive. You'll never have to do much else beside scrape an occasional corner, or sweep w/ a broom.
For odor reasons alone, you don't want to leave grass in for long periods of time. The only exceptions to the above occur in cold weather when schtuff can freeze to the bed, which always makes life more difficult (sometimes the pumps for the dump won't function properly unless they warm up enough).

Bob

gene gls
10-25-2002, 10:07 PM
Check out this site,www.superslide.com. I bought a pice for my dump and nothing sticks.

Gene

Shady Brook
10-25-2002, 11:12 PM
Gene

What size dump do you have, and how much did the slide cost you.

Thanks
Jay

gene gls
10-26-2002, 12:45 AM
Shady,

Mine is 84"x 120". I got a deal on a peice of scrap. I am going to use the left over to line the underside of my mower decks. Its best to install it on a warm day when the sheet is fully expanded. Lay it on your truck bed and cut it to size with a saber saw. Drill and tap holes at the front and screw it down. I used 6 - 1/4-20 hex bolts across the front. Mine will contract about 1" on the length when cold.

I payed $90.00 and it cost $120.00 for shipping truck freight.

Gene

LAWNGODFATHER
10-26-2002, 01:28 AM
I left a load of leaves sit in the truck one time for about a week. It was close to zero most of the month. Sure enough the outside 6"-7" froze up solid. Stuck to the bottom and sides, no fun to shovel the crap out with pitch forks.

Why this happened? Read the part about I left the leaves in there for a week again.

BTW I have a wood floor and wood sides. Anti stick stuff aint gonna work