PDA

View Full Version : Gnats

Keith
07-24-2011, 11:22 PM
Have any of you noticed a huge increase in gnats this year? Usually they get bad later in the summer for a few weeks, but they have been terrible at least since early June. You find a nice shady spot to get some relief from the heat and you are attacked by these little monsters. It's the worst I have ever seen them.

I may be completely off here, but since they don't seem to be doing too much mosquito spraying anymore, I wonder if this has affected the gnat populations?

Ric
07-25-2011, 08:22 AM

For the first time in many years I got chewed up by Mosquitoes this week end. Our local county government has been pretty good about controlling them in the past. But it looks like the lack of budget is now effecting Mosquito control also. This may mean a new market demand that was previously supplied by local government.

A Public Mosquito Control License is pretty simple to get under chapter 355 of Fla law. The Study material is free and all testing is free. This License allows you to do large HOA or other community type treatments, But not individual homes or private property. They require a structural license. Equipment can vary but a Low Volume High pressure misting machine in the back of a economy truck is the most effective method for local treatment. Thermal Foggers are cheaper to build or buy but not cost effective to operate.

Installation of fixed Mosquito Mist Systems is a growing market in my area instead of Screened in Pool areas. While these can be very profitable installation profit, the reoccurring maintenance is also a winner. But once again you need a structural pesticide license.