PDA

View Full Version : NC turf+ornamental test, thin?

Tony Harrell
10-25-2002, 06:53 AM
I got my package to study and will take the test nov. 5-6. 3 manuals and I already know all of it. 2 of them have to do only with law and applying chemicals in general and the 3rd one is a very thin pamplet about turf pests. Of which I've learned on my own basically from reading here at LS. When I got into structural pest control years ago, I found out that "Trumans Scientific Guide" was/is the bible for structural pest control(and I own 5 revisions). Is there a book like that for turf and ornamental pest/weed that most everyone uses? I plan on taking classes to supplement my knowledge also but, there has to be a reference book about this subject.

RMDoyon
10-25-2002, 11:17 AM
Tony,
There will probably be two books for sale when you take the test.
Both are put out by the cooperative extension.
One is Pest Control for Professional Turfgrass Managers 2002 and the other is Turfgrass Pest Management Manual.

The first one is updated every year and lists all available landscape pesticides in both common chemical names as well as trade name formats for various applications (you might already have this one if you are a member of TCNC).

The second one is more general but loaded with color photographs of various braodleaf and grassy weeds. It costs $7.00 but I've found it useful from time to time.

As far as reference works, they are decent but certainly not all-encompassing.
Regarding the test, nothing in these manuals are needed for the test-its all in the stuff they sent you in the mail.

With your pest experience you'll probably pass blindfolded.

GroundKprs
10-25-2002, 08:57 PM
Lots of good books and web sites on turf care. Many will help with diagnosis of problems, but best resource for up to date info is your state turf foundation's educational meetings and seminars.

For woody ornamentals, two books make up the bible of pests in that area. These are not at all regular books, but ideal reference materials. Twice the size of a normal book, about 12½"x 9½", and each over 500 pages, half of them very detailed pictures of item discussed on facing page:

1- Insects That Feed on Trees and Shrubs, 2nd Ed., by Johnson & Lyon. See at <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0801426022/102-9433133-3933722">Amazon.com</a>. This page has links to see actual pages of book. Also this book now on special with Dirr's Manual of Woody Landscape Plants, another great book.

2- Diseases of Trees and Shrubs, by Sinclair, Lyon & Johnson. Link to this one on above Amazon page, too.

These books do not give controls for problems, because new controls come and go. They were written as permanent education and diagnosis manuals. Our state extension entomologist has written a great pamphlet on ornamental insect problems and controls, and he cross references almost everything to the Johnson & Lyon book.

Tony Harrell
10-26-2002, 06:26 AM
I'm sure I'll locate what I'll need. The "Guide" that I mentioned is actually a textbook from Perdue for their entomology course. I have that as a main reference for fifra, etc...It's been revised several times. I'm picking up everything I can find and soaking it up like a sponge, even manufacturer booklets.

RMDoyon
10-26-2002, 02:38 PM
Tony,
Another valuable resource is Lesco of Greensboro and Winston's vendor seminar/show held in late winter/early spring. Every major mfg. is there to present their stuff and there's tons of handouts.

Tony Harrell
10-27-2002, 06:09 AM
I'll ask Jay in WS about it next time I'm there. Wonder if I could pick up some CUU's for my structural phase?