PDA

View Full Version : Hydro Repair Question

Shultz
07-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Looking for input.

1999 turf tiger. slipping and chatter/vibration on the left side of the hydros, noisy pump-put the magnet in the tanks and the dreaded metal shavings are present.

Considering sound practices, Do you have to change both the pump and motor, and What is the risk to only changing the pump and cleaning out the tank/flushing the left system?

thanks in advance.

Shultz

Restrorob
07-25-2011, 10:46 PM
If you only change the pump you defiantly want to flush both the tank/lines and wheel motor as well.....

Shultz
07-25-2011, 11:34 PM
I had planned on cleaning out the tank and flushing out the lines.

What I dont want to to is replace unneeded parts, but want to repair correctly. How can I tell when is it too bad to flush out the system and need to replace the motor?

I dont want to save money now and have a double repair bill for another pump and motor in the near future because I didnt change a part. I would like to fix it correctly once.

Thanks for your time.

Restrorob
07-26-2011, 07:45 AM
How can I tell when is it too bad to flush out the system and need to replace the motor?

The only way to tell for sure is get a seal kit and perform a tear down inspection.

piston slapper
07-26-2011, 03:16 PM
I'd clean the tank, hoses, and flush the wheel motor.
Replace the pump. Just for kicks, remove the head off the bad pump and see how much damage has been done. This will give you an idea of how much debris is in the system.
Buy an extra hydro filter. Run the for a few days and monitor the tank with a magnet.
After about 1 week, change the hydro filter again.
If the wheel motor is bad it will get weak when it gets hot or it will ratchet (jerk)(tear up grass) when moving slow.

Shultz
07-29-2011, 05:18 PM
Update-

Have the old pump off and apart-the back side of the roller thrust bearing is all but gone, and the swash plate has some wear. I will post the pics later. All in all most of the the metal shavings are very small, and not enough to fill a thimble, with a few bigger 1/16x1/8 " pieces.

As far as I can tell, I have cleaned the tank and lines as good as they are going to get.

As much as I would like to do a tear down and inspect the motor, I'm thinking I had better not open up the wheel motor as I may not get it back together correctly if it is anything like the pump. I will have to attempt to flush out the lines/motor and monitor close.

Quick question-at 1200 hours on the machine, is it likely for the other pump to go out soon, or not?

New pump and filters from J-thomas arrived today, in tomorrow.

Restrorob and Pistonslapper, Thanks again for your help and advice on the repair.

piston slapper
07-29-2011, 05:30 PM
The left side (curb side) gets most of the work. usually fails first.
I wouldnt concern myself with the right pump unless it starts vibrating in the levers or growling. The left side will be noticably stronger when you get done. Thats normal.

Restrorob
07-29-2011, 07:12 PM
I'm thinking I had better not open up the wheel motor as I may not get it back together correctly if it is anything like the pump.

If it's any consolation, A wheel motor is nothing like a pump. There's no springs and pistons to deal with like in the pumps....

Good Luck with your repair.

chrisg_ky
04-13-2012, 02:04 AM
so i picked up a bobcat zero turn leo 48" with 350hrs on it but it seems the right hydro pump is having problems. The guy told me the dealership said it needed bleed because it didnt have enough hrs on it to be going out. but i dont know how to do it. I suspect it may need replaced. but i was wondering what i can do to check it and tell for sure. The mower will still move but the range on the right is very limited. how do i bleed the hydro and what other signs should i be looking to check before buying a new pump or rebuilding? i can add the model and serial in the morning just got it home. 1am. thanks