PDA

View Full Version : hand held sprayer out of z spray

superintendent
07-25-2011, 02:52 PM
Well, I drove around to some of my yards that I spot sprayed with msma and holy smoke does it look bad. Here is what I'm guessing. I'm using my wand out of my z spray and I think I'm over doing it. I feel like I have to hit it heavy instead of just waving the wand. Doesn't look like I'm going to have alot of fans this summer with there yards. Make me sick thinking about but I made a mistake and will learn not to do this next yr. So 2 company's out today and can't believe they are blanket spraying the yards.

greendoctor
07-25-2011, 03:22 PM
I take it these wands are your standard trigger, extension and adjustable nozzle set up. In your tank, what was the mix rate per 1000 sq ft? A friend of mine did an experiment comparing a an AI 110-04 nozzle to an adjustable nozzle covering a 1000 sq ft area. The adjustable nozzle used 8 gallons and the 110-04 used 1 gallon. For "spot" spraying clumps of weeds, I have used an AI 110-04 nozzle applying to cover but not to the point of run off and there has been no damage. A 4X-8X overdosage of MSMA is a lot.

grassmasterswilson
07-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Well, I drove around to some of my yards that I spot sprayed with msma and holy smoke does it look bad. Here is what I'm guessing. I'm using my wand out of my z spray and I think I'm over doing it. I feel like I have to hit it heavy instead of just waving the wand. Doesn't look like I'm going to have alot of fans this summer with there yards. Make me sick thinking about but I made a mistake and will learn not to do this next yr. So 2 company's out today and can't believe they are blanket spraying the yards.

If you kept the nozzle on a "stream" setting you did over apply. I've done it. You need to turn the nozzle so it is a mist if you are spot spraying with the same mixture as in the tanks.

Think some guys have changed out the wands. I'd be interested to hear what parts they used and how it's working.

superintendent
07-25-2011, 05:34 PM
Yea, I smoked the yards and it looks like I will be over seeding these yards at my cost. The bad thing is. This was not a round. I was trying to be a nice guy and was going back to my customers to check the yards out and hitting any crabgrass I see. Dam what was I thinking. I'll probably lose these yards.

gregory
07-25-2011, 08:58 PM
you might just be honest with them and tell them you screwed up and you will take care of it at your cost. if it was my yard i would keep you. things happens it how you take care of them is what matters to me...

grassman177
07-25-2011, 09:00 PM
i agree with the above post, it cant hurt but only help to communicate with them

ted putnam
07-25-2011, 11:14 PM
I ran into this when I bought my first Z-spray. Luckily, we caught it quick. I changed it to a 16 inch wand with a t-jet 8003 that I spray with at 30-35 psi.I can cover area quickly and evenly with it. It's pretty much calibrated with my 1/3 gal tips on the boom. You still want to make it a pretty quick wisk across the weed in this heat but its much better than the stock tip that comes on that t-jet gun hands down. With that wand and my 100ft 1/4 inch hose, If needed, I have an 18 gal mobile backpack that I don't have to pump. I love it.The first thing I did when I bought the 2nd Z this year was change the wand. The stock one is a disaster waiting to happen IMO.

RigglePLC
07-25-2011, 11:57 PM
Flat fan or cone nozzle? I don't like the flat fans for spot spraying. If you stop forward movement before or after the weed--you get a sharp band. I prefer the cone nozzle.

In either case, calibrate with water on 1000 sq ft of cement. You need to know exactly how much you are putting out.

Also (to be sure) calibrate your wand with a stop watch. How many seconds does it take to fill a one-ounce cup? For instance 3 seconds per ounce. You are applying .33 ounces per second. Say you are covering 1 sqft when you spot spray. Maybe you are really slow and are applying for one second on one sqft. That is .33 ounces per sqft.
That is 333 ounces per 1000 sqft. Divide by 128. That is around 2.6 gallons per thousand sqft.
About 8 times more than your Z-Spray applies.

ted putnam
07-26-2011, 12:49 AM
The adjustable nozzle that comes with the machine is easily knocked out of adjustment and therefore impossible to keep calibrated. This is my biggest problem with adjustable/cone nozzles vs. fan tips. Of course, it is purely a matter of preference as long as you are spraying what you should be and you get the results you desire .JMO

specialtylc
07-26-2011, 12:53 AM
The factory supplied nozzle puts out alot of liquid, about the same as the boom nozzle. And remember the boom is moving at 5 mph. Thats how fast you need to be moving the hand gun.

greendoctor
07-26-2011, 04:21 AM
Never had a problem with making slashes in the lawn. However, the adjustable nozzles will create a halo around the weed unless it is adjusted to almost a stream. Adjusting to almost a stream also increases the discharge rate tremendously. If I ever had to spot spray individual weeds, my choice would be the fixed ceramic disc and core solid cone tips. At a set pressure, it would not be hard to calibrate. Depending on height, they can cover an 8-12" circle uniformly. But, my idea of a spot spray is patches of weeds passed over with a single fan tip. If I had to go over an entire lawn to get individual weeds, it gets boom sprayed.

Falcon50EX
07-26-2011, 06:35 AM
I ran into this when I bought my first Z-spray. Luckily, we caught it quick. I changed it to a 16 inch wand with a t-jet 8003 that I spray with at 30-35 psi.I can cover area quickly and evenly with it. It's pretty much calibrated with my 1/3 gal tips on the boom. You still want to make it a pretty quick wisk across the weed in this heat but its much better than the stock tip that comes on that t-jet gun hands down. With that wand and my 100ft 1/4 inch hose, If needed, I have an 18 gal mobile backpack that I don't have to pump. I love it.The first thing I did when I bought the 2nd Z this year was change the wand. The stock one is a disaster waiting to happen IMO.

Picture please what trigger do you use

ted putnam
07-26-2011, 09:17 AM
Picture please what trigger do you use

Sorry, not good at posting pics but here's what I use online. Teejet 22670 Triggerjet. Look this up at www.sprayerequipmentsupply.com.

americanlawn
07-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Good points. Our T3000's come with the orange "cone" nozzle, but I think they suck (too much product/burn potential) . You can switch to the blue cone nozzle which puts out less volume, but you're still dealing with either a hollow spray pattern or just too much product on a given area while spot spraying. It's either pencil stream or cone....neither one is good cuz the cone nozzles are difficult to fine tune. IMO the best nozzle for a ride-on is "flat fan". I prefer the TeeJet flat fan nozzle. Just ask for the narrowest spray pattern with the lowest volume when choosing a flat fan nozzle for your ride on sprayer. Two of my T-Men have switched to the narrow flat fan nozzle & they love it. The other guy is still stuck on the "blue" cone nozzle. Everybody has their preferences, so I let my guys use what they are most comfortable with....even though I don't often agree. my 2 cents :dizzy:

grassman177
07-27-2011, 11:15 PM
I am loyal to flat fan nozzles. Have never changed the originals out though cuz you can get distance out of them for hills
Posted via Mobile Device