PDA

View Full Version : Drought hurting anyone else but me?

olcllc
07-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Total rainfall for April/May = 18 in.

Total rainfall for June/July = 1 in.

This is the third consecutive year that the rain has stopped after Memorial day. It's so dry even the crabgrass is brown.

rreyn1812
07-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Wow, you've gotten a lot of rain! I think in my particular area of central Arkansas I've seen about 1/2 inch since the last week of May. And, only about 1 to 2 inches since the end of March. Man, it is dry here! Mowing?? what's that??

olcllc
07-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Wow, you've gotten a lot of rain! I think in my particular area of central Arkansas I've seen about 1/2 inch since the last week of May. And, only about 1 to 2 inches since the end of March. Man, it is dry here! Mowing?? what's that??

I suspect your soil profile is vastly different than ours... however with that said drought is drought no mater the profile.

June, July, And August we need at least 1/2 inch of rainfall each week or lawns dry up the next since we have less that 2 in. of topsoil and rock under that. Water holding capacity is non-existant. Cooler temps help but we are in a 30 day run of 95 + temps with heat index over 110. Thats why 18 in. of rain in the spring is useless because it just drains away with all the pre-emergents.

RussellB
07-26-2011, 01:17 PM
We have also been in a severe drought condition. The soil is very sandy here and small rain falls do not help. I did not work yesterday or today because rain finally moved in Sunday night. I'd guess we have recieved a couple inches so far and more rain is in the forecast. Its great relief from the fricken 100+ degree weather.

Hogjaw
07-26-2011, 01:32 PM
Very few of ours is under irrigation. Mowing every 2 weeks - go to every 3 weeks on non-irrigation after today.

Crab is even stressed - good thing is that the 2nd day after spotting the crab it starts turning.

No rain in forecast through next week for us - things are slow.

olcllc
07-26-2011, 02:51 PM
Very few of ours is under irrigation. Mowing every 2 weeks - go to every 3 weeks on non-irrigation after today.

Crab is even stressed - good thing is that the 2nd day after spotting the crab it starts turning.

No rain in forecast through next week for us - things are slow.

We will not mow again until substantial rainfall occurs and it's not even August. The crabgrass will likely not go to seed, I suppose that is a plus. September applications are questionable. I will likely be seeding plenty of lawns if the customers can afford it. Have you looked a seed prices lately. They've doubled!