PDA

View Full Version : Backpack Sprayer replacement tips?

vencops
07-25-2011, 06:13 PM
I own a couple SP Systems backpacks. I recently went to retrieve one from my trailer rack, and the wand was missing. I suppose I let it get loose, and it flew out somewhere on the road.

I FINALLY found an online retailer that sold the replacement wands, and I ordered a brass wand to replace it (another question just came to mind).

It arrived, today....but, the tip/nozzle part that's adjustable isn't part of the replacement. So, I'm still out of commission (with this sprayer).

1. I need a replacement for this to get it back in action. Any recommendations on a part/retailer?

2. Are there BP sprayer tips that are better than others? I'm assuming it depends on the task at hand. I use this sprayer ONLY for gly.. But, I have a coupel more that'll see some selective postM apps..

RE: the brass wand....

Why is (if, indeed it is) brass a better choice for this (BP Sprayer) application? Easier to clean/keep clean? No idea, really.

Thanks.

CHARLES CUE
07-25-2011, 08:54 PM
I own a couple SP Systems backpacks. I recently went to retrieve one from my trailer rack, and the wand was missing. I suppose I let it get loose, and it flew out somewhere on the road.

I FINALLY found an online retailer that sold the replacement wands, and I ordered a brass wand to replace it (another question just came to mind).

It arrived, today....but, the tip/nozzle part that's adjustable isn't part of the replacement. So, I'm still out of commission (with this sprayer).

1. I need a replacement for this to get it back in action. Any recommendations on a part/retailer?

2. Are there BP sprayer tips that are better than others? I'm assuming it depends on the task at hand. I use this sprayer ONLY for gly.. But, I have a coupel more that'll see some selective postM apps..

RE: the brass wand....

Why is (if, indeed it is) brass a better choice for this (BP Sprayer) application? Easier to clean/keep clean? No idea, really.

Thanks.

I would think that brass would last longer but no proof. But the plastic ones work to.

I have about 4 of these in my sprayer parts box. I take them off and replace them with a flat fan tip or AI tip.

Tractor supply Carry's parts if you have one close buy.

Charles Cue

Young Bros
07-25-2011, 09:21 PM
We use Shureflo electric backpacks with metal wands (aluminum) with plastic tips from spray specialties. 515-986-3259

vencops
07-25-2011, 09:25 PM
Everyone sells Solo brand replacement parts. They're not interchangeable.

I even went out and took a tip off one of my Solo's....and even the tips aren't threaded the same. Northern Tool sells SP System sprayers (that's where I bought mine). But, they don't sell replacement parts. Go figure.

I can find the adjustable brass nozzle online. But, I'd like to find a local retailer.

What a hassle. The brass wand replacement was $18 + (who knows what) shipping. The photo of the wand (from the online retailer) also showed it with the tip on it. The nozzle is about $15 (+ shipping). 1st place I found it...the shipping was more than the part.

RigglePLC
07-25-2011, 10:02 PM
What a rip-off. Drop by Walmart and get the Spraydoc wand. Comes with the tip. Or...get a whole sprayer for between 5 and 10 dollars. Cut the hose and put the wand on your backpack. Use a hose splice and clamps. Almost the same thing.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=garden+sprayer+parts&hl=en&prmd=ivns&resnum=2&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=595&wrapid=tlif131164527604610&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=11616163543189285923&sa=X&ei=aB4uToagK-yosAKQ7cVA&ved=0CJ4BEPMCMAI#

pinto n mwr
07-26-2011, 12:32 AM
tee jet fan tip(red)

greendoctor
07-26-2011, 03:44 AM
Teejet hand piece, Teejet wand and Teejet tips. The gallonages at a given pressure are also verified and published making it easy to calibrate. A threaded hose barb and screw clamp will get the hand piece on the hose.

vencops
07-28-2011, 07:32 AM
green...

I bought a Stihl SG20, yesterday, to see if I'd like them. I like everything about it, except the wand. I was just on the teejet website. It appears they offer one with an aluminum wand. I don't see one with a brass wand.

I do like the fact that the tips are interchange-able.

Does anyone have any idea what these things cost (everything from the hose clamp, down)? Just curious. None of the retailers are open this early.

Young Bros
07-28-2011, 07:42 AM
We got the aluminum ones. I think they only cost like $5.

vencops
07-28-2011, 07:44 AM
WHAT (exactly) only cost $5?

Thanks.

Young Bros
07-28-2011, 07:54 AM
WHAT (exactly) only cost $5?

Thanks.

My brother broke one of his triggers. I called the Spray Specialties & they said it was $7.50 for the trigger or $5 for the whole handle & aluminum wand. Tell me how that works? lol.

vencops
07-29-2011, 05:17 PM
OK...I found a replacement tip for my SP @ a local supplier. Good news all the way around. I also found a solid supplier (one friend owns the place and another friend works there).

I bought a Stihl SG20 this week, also. I like everything about it, except the plastic wand that comes standard. I haven't found a supplier that makes a brass/aluminum wand replacement for it. So, I'm looking at the TeeJet wand as a replacement. If anyone has this wand, are you happy with it....and happy with the stock tip that comes on it? If not, what did you replace it with?

Thanks.

mishmosh
07-29-2011, 09:11 PM
I use the universal wand from Tractor Supply. Regularly $15 but it was $10 on sale recently. You can stick a regular teejet fan tip in there.

Efficiency
07-29-2011, 10:25 PM
if you want good backpacks, call Chapin. I got a pallet of their 4gal backpacks last week for under $60 each shipped. They are identical to the Lesco branded units.

ArizPestWeed
07-30-2011, 12:49 AM
Do your SP ever leak from the check valve on the lid and run down your back ??

OK...I found a replacement tip for my SP @ a local supplier. Good news all the way around. I also found a solid supplier (one friend owns the place and another friend works there).

I bought a Stihl SG20 this week, also. I like everything about it, except the plastic wand that comes standard. I haven't found a supplier that makes a brass/aluminum wand replacement for it. So, I'm looking at the TeeJet wand as a replacement. If anyone has this wand, are you happy with it....and happy with the stock tip that comes on it? If not, what did you replace it with?

Thanks.

vencops
08-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Do your SP ever leak from the check valve on the lid and run down your back ??

I must be using a cheaper SP, or...an older SP. Mine doesn't have a check valve on the lid. Mine is the (something like) 'Landscpaper' model.

In RE: to the Stihl SG20 I bought....I couldn't stand the wand that came with it. It was flimsy as a spaghetti noodle in this heat. I cut the hose @ the wand and replaced it with the SP Systems pistol; brass wand and brass tip. I've got +/- $36 in the revised setup (total wand) and I couldn't be happier with it.

Ric
08-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Teejet hand piece, Teejet wand and Teejet tips. The gallonages at a given pressure are also verified and published making it easy to calibrate. A threaded hose barb and screw clamp will get the hand piece on the hose.

Green

I will second the Tee Jet Wand and I am thinking Tractor supply sells them for about $ 14.99. They have an aluminum tube that doesn't bend and gets crooked in the Heat. They also have a screen or Filter in the handle that helps to keep the tip clean.

greendoctor
08-08-2011, 02:53 AM
I never liked plastic and aluminum for spray wands. I am talking about the brass triggers with the 11/16 thread, the wands with the 11/16 nut on one end, nozzle body on the other and the standard strainer, tip and cap. I know $$$$$. I did tell everyone how my 23L trigger and extension cost more than the hand can it was attached to, right? Well, I still have the trigger and the cheap Ace Hardware hand can is long gone.

ArizPestWeed
08-08-2011, 09:51 AM
There has to be a way for the air to enter the tank as you spray , like a check valve ...................

I must be using a cheaper SP, or...an older SP. Mine doesn't have a check valve on the lid. Mine is the (something like) 'Landscpaper' model.

In RE: to the Stihl SG20 I bought....I couldn't stand the wand that came with it. It was flimsy as a spaghetti noodle in this heat. I cut the hose @ the wand and replaced it with the SP Systems pistol; brass wand and brass tip. I've got +/- $36 in the revised setup (total wand) and I couldn't be happier with it.