PDA

View Full Version : king of closing

grassmasterswilson
07-25-2011, 08:09 PM
I've been pretty successful at closing my last few estimates. Pretty surprised to be getting calls at this point in the season, but weeds are showing up! Last mailer was at the beginning of the season so I must be getting some name recognition. I'm great at talking with customers and closing on residential lawns under 20k(which most homes in this area are). Not so good at larger residential or commercial/HOAs (doesn't bother me since they most likely will drop you for someone $5 cheaper).

I think I'm charging a fair price and my profits are pretty good across the board. I'm even good at charging my rate and changing it based on gates/beds/tight areas.

I do mailers a few weeks before round 1 and again in the fall a few weeks before seeding. Got a website, truck signs, and application flags. I even do referral discouts, but no one is taking advantage of it. I just wish I could get the chance to get my foot in the door with more people.

Anything else I might be able to do to get more calls? There isn't much advertised competition here, but this town is only 50k and might have 10k homes. I'm thinking in the spring of a "save 25%" on round 1 promotion. May add a third postcard round.

WestGaPineStraw
07-25-2011, 10:19 PM
If you want to really focus on applications you need to network with every contractor and your current mowing competition. I do not cut grass and will not cut grass. I have managed to accumilate a lil over 5 million sq ft of grass to take care of in 2 years. All of this with word of mouth and networking with everyone possible. I have not spent a dime on advertising, except for biz cards, postin flags and a wrap on my isuzu.

Get out and network or go door to door in up scale neighborhoods.
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC
07-25-2011, 11:22 PM
Referal discounts? How much? Do they win a free ap? Free winterizer? Insect spray? Can they give their free ap to the new customer instead? (like their mother?) Are you using a big colorful attention-grabbing referral coupon?

Do you have a seasonal coupon for referrals? Free crabgrass control for neighbor if referred by your customer? Nutsedge? Summer annuals?

ted putnam
07-26-2011, 12:40 AM
If you want to really focus on applications you need to network with every contractor and your current mowing competition. I do not cut grass and will not cut grass. I have managed to accumilate a lil over 5 million sq ft of grass to take care of in 2 years. All of this with word of mouth and networking with everyone possible. I have not spent a dime on advertising, except for biz cards, postin flags and a wrap on my isuzu.

Get out and network or go door to door in up scale neighborhoods.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pretty much the same story here.

I did like the look and idea of the "Turfmarkers" talked about in that recent thread.. I may look into those next Spring, when lawncare is again fresh in potential clients minds. However, networking is an excellent, most of the time FREE way to pick up new business.

grassmasterswilson
07-27-2011, 08:18 AM
Thanks guys. There seems to be an ok market here. There is only 3-4 guys who have the business for ride ons or seem to want this type business. The rest are the nat'l companies. None of us local guys have the numbers to only do apps. I've thought about contacting some other mow guys and try to get them to upsale apps. Guess I bill the customer or bill the mow guy and let him make a few $$. But being a mow guy also I'm figuring that they don't want me stealing customers. Might offer a non compete clause on mowing if anyone calls back.

I've been targeting about 1/3-1/2 of the homeowners(with decent home values or income) with postcards about twice a year. Just wish people would take advantage of the free estimates. Seems that if someones wants app service and I can get a face to face that I can close the deal or at least get them noticing if the current company is getting results.

vencops
07-27-2011, 08:55 AM
gmw....

I'm doing some networking with a few LCO's I know, here. I can't fathom why more aren't licensed (for apps.), but we can use this to our advantage.

Since my company is a property management co., my business cards are pretty non-descriptive. I don't list the services I offer. I figured it would be easier to list the things I WON'T do!...lol

Maybe get a set of business cards made up that ONLY highlight your fert/squirt operation. That way, you can hand those out to mowing-type competitors and they won't feel a threat in offering your services to their customers. Just a thought. Also, IF you get a FTF with any of their customers, I'd be very hesitant to show up with my mowers on a trailer.

Maybe this advances, and you could add another trailer that'll only haul (for these occasions) your app. equipment???

Just thinking out loud. Good luck to you.

TheBetterDoorhanger
07-29-2011, 02:39 PM
I couldn't help but notice you said you were possibly going to do a mailing in the fall. I think that our Stick-It feature will really help you increase your ROI for the mailing. Stick-It allows the consumer to Stick-It the postcard to the fridge so even if they aren't ready to use your services now, they will have it ready when they are, perhaps in the spring. If anything, it gives it the potential to stay out of the drawer with your competitors ads.

Our Band-It & Stick-It Products are all developed to increase your return and keep your ad where it belongs on the door or in view. We offer several free customer design offers on our products and extremely competitive pricing.

Check out our products at www.AdeasPrinting.com/door-hangers or request free samples of our products at www.AdeasPrinting.com/free-samples

Feel free to call or email me directly -

Robin Christopherson
Adeas Printing
robin@adeasprinting.com
866-778-4254 ext 200

Ric
07-29-2011, 05:59 PM
I've been pretty successful at closing my last few estimates. Pretty surprised to be getting calls at this point in the season, but weeds are showing up! Last mailer was at the beginning of the season so I must be getting some name recognition. I'm great at talking with customers and closing on residential lawns under 20k(which most homes in this area are). Not so good at larger residential or commercial/HOAs (doesn't bother me since they most likely will drop you for someone $5 cheaper).

I think I'm charging a fair price and my profits are pretty good across the board. I'm even good at charging my rate and changing it based on gates/beds/tight areas.

I do mailers a few weeks before round 1 and again in the fall a few weeks before seeding. Got a website, truck signs, and application flags. I even do referral discouts, but no one is taking advantage of it. I just wish I could get the chance to get my foot in the door with more people.

Anything else I might be able to do to get more calls? There isn't much advertised competition here, but this town is only 50k and might have 10k homes. I'm thinking in the spring of a "save 25%" on round 1 promotion. May add a third postcard round.

Wilson

Let me add that a High closing percentage can be an indicator of too low of a pricing structure. In other words you might be too cheap on your estimates. Right now I am seeing a high closing rate at cheap price from some one I net work with. Their business needs a high volume of sales to survive because of their size. But they are surviving and paying me a fair price as a subcontractor.