PDA

View Full Version : Do you post signs when you've applied chemicals?

vencops
07-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Pretty straight-forward question.

Do you do this, because it's a state/federal requirement (other reason(s))?

Is it a requirement (to post) in your state?

Thanks.

poncho62
07-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Its also good advertising...........

grassman177
07-25-2011, 08:58 PM
not required, but we consider it 50% advertizing and 50% customer and public notification and consideration.

we do it, and it has worked well

CHARLES CUE
07-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Mostly to tell the costumer i was there

Charles Cue

WestGaPineStraw
07-25-2011, 10:07 PM
Its the law here fool...

I like it for advertising too, its really for the customer to know when you were there. We also write the time n date on all of our flags.
Posted via Mobile Device

Young Bros
07-25-2011, 10:14 PM
State law says we have to before we apply chemicals. Let's customer know we were there & good advertising.

vencops
07-25-2011, 10:20 PM
"fool"???....lol

Whatever.

C. Cue...that's a good enough reason.

Thanks, all.

WestGaPineStraw
07-25-2011, 10:23 PM
"fool"???....lol

Whatever.

C. Cue...that's a good enough reason.

Thanks, all.

Wasn't tryin to be ugly, just silly... I believe my response was adaquate tho
Posted via Mobile Device

vencops
07-25-2011, 10:28 PM
No harm - no foul.

Thanks for the info. Time and Date is a great touch.

greendoctor
07-26-2011, 03:58 AM
Not in my state. According to the DOA, it is best if what I do is kept between my clients, myself and the DOA. No signs in the yard, nothing on my truck, no phone number or any other identifying marks. The DOA is required to follow up on all calls or calls referred to them by another City or State agency, even if the call is trivial, even if I have not violated any regulations. They must investigate. I am in a state where many people are anti pesticide. The only reason why it is not totally banned here is that very few people actually apply on any scale. Trugreen would get shut down in a heart beat here, and not necessarily for violating the label.

r0bh3
07-26-2011, 08:40 AM
MA requires a sign be posted when pesticides have been applied.

mikesturf
07-26-2011, 09:12 AM
I've had many customers tell me that when they come home from work and see the sign, they know to keep the dog/kids off the lawn. Many rarely go to the front door where I leave the report.

I buy expensive color 2 sided lawn signs. More expensive, but it generates lots of phone calls from people walking by.

Ric
07-26-2011, 06:24 PM
Pretty straight-forward question.

Do you do this, because it's a state/federal requirement (other reason(s))?

Is it a requirement (to post) in your state?

Thanks.

Vencops

From the question you ask, I have to ask a question.

Does NC provide any training material at all for prospective applicators??? Or do they just turn you lose will no training what so ever??

vencops
07-26-2011, 07:50 PM
You see Ric.....

How hard can this stuff be, when an old farm boy with a communications degree and a commercial construction background can become licensed in short order? I've satisfied my state's requirements. What you think about that is of no concern to me.

If you wanted to go into a profession where you could look down your nose at others, you should've picked a different one. At the end of the day, you're (possibly) a rung up from the kid with dreds that sprays for TG. Think about it.

You kinda remind me of a 500# lady who makes fun of the 550# "fat girl".

There's been valid reasons to post and not to post put forward. If the question's beneath you, click the back button.

jvanvliet
07-26-2011, 08:58 PM
Mandatory in FL.

FL also mails a list of people you have to notify prior to application.

Ric
07-26-2011, 10:18 PM
You see Ric.....

How hard can this stuff be, when an old farm boy with a communications degree and a commercial construction background can become licensed in short order? I've satisfied my state's requirements. What you think about that is of no concern to me.

If you wanted to go into a profession where you could look down your nose at others, you should've picked a different one. At the end of the day, you're (possibly) a rung up from the kid with dreds that sprays for TG. Think about it.

You kinda remind me of a 500# lady who makes fun of the 550# "fat girl".

There's been valid reasons to post and not to post put forward. If the question's beneath you, click the back button.

Vencops

From the simple questions you are asking, it must really tough for you.

vencops
07-26-2011, 11:01 PM
We have responses from seasoned vets who say they do (post signs) and don't.

So, which of these guys are you calling "simple"?

GreenI.A.
07-26-2011, 11:55 PM
We have to post signs at all entrnaces to the property, most reputable companies fallow that reg here. We are also suposed to have our company name and number on it, which very few do. Lastly we are suposed to post the chemical/EPA # for the pesticides used, virtually no companies fallow this reg

ted putnam
07-27-2011, 12:26 AM
Not in my state. According to the DOA, it is best if what I do is kept between my clients, myself and the DOA. No signs in the yard, nothing on my truck, no phone number or any other identifying marks. The DOA is required to follow up on all calls or calls referred to them by another City or State agency, even if the call is trivial, even if I have not violated any regulations. They must investigate. I am in a state where many people are anti pesticide. The only reason why it is not totally banned here is that very few people actually apply on any scale. Trugreen would get shut down in a heart beat here, and not necessarily for violating the label.

If I'm not mistaken Hawaii discourages signage in general, don't they? I mean, Best I can remember, there was not one Billboard. Business names were either fastened to the building or a flag(only a certain height) with the business name.

greendoctor
07-27-2011, 04:46 AM
There are city ordinances concerning visual pollution that originate from an environmentalist group known as The Outdoor Circle. This group also disapproves of proper roadside and right of way maintenance as well, contradicting federal highway standards in addition to the needs of utility companies. The second issue is that many suburbs are controlled by HOAs which prohibit signage or advertising of any kind on a resident's property. I know of landscapers and other tradesmen that got homeowners in trouble over a sign. Lastly, the points I made in the previous post are very important. I do not need calls from The Outdoor Circle, Sierra Club, hippies turned yuppies or calls from the DOA because they got called. What I do is very much "don't ask, don't tell".

Glenn Lawn Care
07-27-2011, 01:50 PM
In most states its the law... and it is also a god way to advertise that portion of your bussines.

duncan7455
07-29-2011, 03:30 PM
in the words of Donnie Baker "Its state law"