PDA

View Full Version : The tough stretch is upon us

Florida Gardener
07-26-2011, 11:19 AM
Here it comes, august and September, the two worst months of the year. I think July has been brutal as well. I have my sights set on October and I hope it comes quickly.
Posted via Mobile Device

Keith
07-26-2011, 03:24 PM
The dog days, my friend. The last ten days have sucked. It could be worse though. You could have been in the another part of the country.

Landscape Poet
07-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Counting the days - I can get through this knowing October is not too far away, not to mention this is the time of year were the fake lawn turds sizzle out ..I have been picking up accounts the last few weeks and loving it knowing that I have 2 warm months of work and 1 potentially warm month to work and then collect that easy money during the winter.

billslawn89
07-26-2011, 07:00 PM
i hear ya diamond! its been a brutal year again. seems like the heat started in my area around may and has not let up. today i was running in circles cuz of the rain in my area. i started my route about 7:30am and by 9am it was raining in one part, so i checked the radar on my phone and worked my route backwards till i finished. i guess having the cloud cover today was a good thing, but no breeze and humid. come on october..lol

Florida Gardener
07-26-2011, 07:17 PM
i hear ya diamond! its been a brutal year again. seems like the heat started in my area around may and has not let up. today i was running in circles cuz of the rain in my area. i started my route about 7:30am and by 9am it was raining in one part, so i checked the radar on my phone and worked my route backwards till i finished. i guess having the cloud cover today was a good thing, but no breeze and humid. come on october..lol

We have gone dry again here so you are lucky for the rain. I don't mind October bc the daily highs usually go back to 85 and the grass and plants start to slow down. Bahia also goes back to EOW in October as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
07-26-2011, 07:17 PM
Counting the days - I can get through this knowing October is not too far away, not to mention this is the time of year were the fake lawn turds sizzle out ..I have been picking up accounts the last few weeks and loving it knowing that I have 2 warm months of work and 1 potentially warm month to work and then collect that easy money during the winter.

I agree mike, we are already half way done. October will be here before we know it.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnguy26
07-26-2011, 07:32 PM
For us fert/pest guys July and August are the worst months here in Central Fl. You get through those months with good looking lawns and you're in the home stretch!

Keith
08-08-2011, 04:55 PM
The last six days or so have been really rough. I came home at 11:30 this morning to refill the cooler and the heat index was already 108. This could have been one of the worst of the summer if it had not been for the pretty steady wind.

Florida Gardener
08-08-2011, 05:23 PM
The last six days or so have been really rough. I came home at 11:30 this morning to refill the cooler and the heat index was already 108. This could have been one of the worst of the summer if it had not been for the pretty steady wind.

Yea, no doubt august is the worst. I agree the past week has been rough. 7 more weeks till October, that is what I'm looking forward to.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
08-09-2011, 11:39 AM
7 more weeks, 7 more weeks, 7 more weeks
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
08-09-2011, 11:53 AM
I am currently sitting outside a property waiting for the rain to lighten up but I am watching a true green tech spray a lawn. I do not know much about liquid feet or pest control products but I am guessing this application is not going to do much good?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
08-09-2011, 12:46 PM
I am currently sitting outside a property waiting for the rain to lighten up but I am watching a true green tech spray a lawn. I do not know much about liquid feet or pest control products but I am guessing this application is not going to do much good?
Posted via Mobile Device

Mikey

Glad you realize.

BTW We are all rained out today. My area is hit or miss all day long. Just when you think it is safe the rain rolls in. 20 minutes of rain then 20 minutes until the next down pour.

Keith
08-09-2011, 03:15 PM
It would be nice if it stopped raining for at least a couple hours before it gets dark. I don't want to be a whole day behind.

bugsNbows
08-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Most of their applications are only meant for revenue generation...not efficacy.

greendoctor
08-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I am sure you have read my position on spraying fertilizers or pesticides on days where there is even a chance it will run off or leach. In Hawaii, TG would end up out of business for doing things like that, never mind that they ignore windy, drift prone days and carry on obliviously even though it is probably blowing 30 MPH outside.

fl-landscapes
08-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Do the dihydrogen oxide applications cause problems when they leach?
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
08-10-2011, 06:27 PM
[QUOTE=fl-landscapes;4124570]Do the dihydrogen oxide applications cause problems when they leach?
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOT

The dilution level is probably the only thing that saves some yards from going up in smoke. Thank god for the rain as some people seemed to think irrigation was optional in the high heat.:usflag:

Keith
08-27-2011, 02:19 PM
This is by far the most uncomfortable day this year. Definitely one of the worst I have ever felt. It currently 95F with a dewpoint of 81F = heat index of 116F. It's fairly breezy, but it's a burning wind that offers no relief at all. Up the road a bit, Ocklawaha FAWN station is 97F, DP of 83F = HI 123F ! If any thunderstorms pop today, they are going to be intense I do believe. I've got to go back out later and do two lawns. I'm glad I was a little ahead this week.

Florida Gardener
08-27-2011, 02:34 PM
This is by far the most uncomfortable day this year. Definitely one of the worst I have ever felt. It currently 95F with a dewpoint of 81F = heat index of 116F. It's fairly breezy, but it's a burning wind that offers no relief at all. Up the road a bit, Ocklawaha FAWN station is 97F, DP of 83F = HI 123F ! If any thunderstorms pop today, they are going to be intense I do believe. I've got to go back out later and do two lawns. I'm glad I was a little ahead this week.

Hot here too, but our ocean breeze really makes a difference. Btw, I got those blades, thanks for your help!
Posted via Mobile Device

easy-lift guy
08-27-2011, 02:37 PM
It seems to me that the rain and high temp, and humidity causes problems for people working outside. I have been in this line of work since 1981 and it really is the same thing every year weather wise IMO. You just have to pace yourself and not take on more work than you can handle. Since we have a year round growing season I don't understand the month of October?. Is this a special month for weather, less heat and humidity, not hardly!
The only break anyone will have is when the time changes and we have at least One freeze. Other than that stay cool and safe.
easy-lift guy

Florida Gardener
08-27-2011, 02:48 PM
It seems to me that the rain and high temp, and humidity causes problems for people working outside. I have been in this line of work since 1981 and it really is the same thing every year weather wise IMO. You just have to pace yourself and not take on more work than you can handle. Since we have a year round growing season I don't understand the month of October?. Is this a special month for weather, less heat and humidity, not hardly!
The only break anyone will have is when the time changes and we have at least One freeze. Other than that stay cool and safe.
easy-lift guy

Yea, it is. October usually has highs that are 5 degrees lower than July, august, sept, less humidity, and shorter days. Bahia goes to EOW in October and everything else starts to really slow down. So yes, I am looking forward to October!
Posted via Mobile Device

Keith
08-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Hot here too, but our ocean breeze really makes a difference. Btw, I got those blades, thanks for your help!
Posted via Mobile Device

Have you tried them out yet?

BTW, just like that, storms started forming to the southeast and the air temp dropped. Heat index is down over 20 degrees in the last hour. I kid you not though, between 10am and 1:30 pm, it was as bad as I have ever felt it.

fl-landscapes
08-27-2011, 05:04 PM
This past month has been brutal!
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
08-27-2011, 05:37 PM
Have you tried them out yet?

BTW, just like that, storms started forming to the southeast and the air temp dropped. Heat index is down over 20 degrees in the last hour. I kid you not though, between 10am and 1:30 pm, it was as bad as I have ever felt it.

Not yet. I have been side discharging with gators the past 2 weeks. I'm going to put the kit back on tomm with the exmark blades. All i can say is one more month.
Posted via Mobile Device

doug1980
08-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Just put in my first week here. Coming from Alaska this heat has been tough. I made it through and have a very nice tan though. Guess my time in the desert at 130+ has helped me tolerate the heat a bit even if I have been in Alaska for 3 years. I still don't like the humidity though.

billslawn89
08-27-2011, 07:03 PM
diamond, i was using grass hawg blades, similar to the gators on my turf tiger, but put the regular lift blades back on this past week to help with the side discharge. it sure made a differance, blew the grass out farther and better suction. i will put the grass hawg blades back on when i start mulching the grass again and when it starts to slow down. i had no rain in my area for a couple of days now, but still smoking hot.

johnny_boy02
08-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Wow I feel bad for you guys. This week has been first near 100 since the first week of July. Most mild summer I can remember in years. I would kill for some rain and few days off.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
08-27-2011, 09:19 PM
I can not wait for November. Can not wait....got a class to finish and then I am going take another. Then I am going to spend eow relaxing
Posted via Mobile Device

Keith
08-27-2011, 10:00 PM
The humidity has been unrelenting for weeks. Even by Florida standards.

Landscape Poet
08-27-2011, 10:40 PM
Keith at some point I just stop noticing cause it was just so Damn hot. FL winters are worth the wait though
Posted via Mobile Device

Plantculture
08-29-2011, 09:39 PM
I remember last year during opening day of archery season on about Sept 17 the humidity dropped just abit to take the edge off. Hopefully not much more of the mid day death heat.

billslawn89
08-30-2011, 09:03 AM
well, looks like a rainy morning for me. a bunch of moisture streaming up from the southwest. its a nice slow rain too.

Keith
08-30-2011, 02:05 PM
The cicadas must love this weather...or hate it. I have never heard them make so much noise as they have in the past week.

zturncutter
08-30-2011, 11:54 PM
The cicadas must love this weather...or hate it. I have never heard them make so much noise as they have in the past week.

They were so loud at one of the ranches I mowed on Monday I thought I had a problem with the mower, and that was with my ear plugs in.

Keith
09-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Today was a nice day. It was still hot. But the humidity was way down. Nice breeze that felt 10 degrees cooler than the air temp as well.

Florida Gardener
09-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Today was a nice day. It was still hot. But the humidity was way down. Nice breeze that felt 10 degrees cooler than the air temp as well.

Yesterday was nice as it was a light rain that was workable and today the same. Weather app shows no days at 90 or higher. I really think it's only getting better from here.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
09-01-2011, 10:43 PM

Agreed. I think Diamond is correct too in that I think (am wishing) that the worst is over. Maybe we will get lucky and get a early Freeze like we did last year at the first of December!

zturncutter
09-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Seems like the Bahia is thinning just a bit, maybe just wishfull thinking :cool2:

Keith
09-02-2011, 12:50 AM
Definitely. Mowed my mom's yard late this afternoon. Bahia, hadn't been cut in 18 days. Grass was less dense and fewer heads.

billslawn89
09-02-2011, 09:08 AM
i've been getting slammed with rain..last night i got almost an inch, but made it feel very nice early this morning, a bit cooler and refreshing....its coming and can't wait, and i can say good-bye to the heat for another season!

Florida Gardener
09-02-2011, 09:51 AM
i've been getting slammed with rain..last night i got almost an inch, but made it feel very nice early this morning, a bit cooler and refreshing....its coming and can't wait, and i can say good-bye to the heat for another season!

Dark, cloudy, and overcast right now with a breeze. Think we may get an earlier winter this year!
Posted via Mobile Device

Keith
09-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Maybe we'll get an actual Florida autumn. I remember them. I know they have happened before :)

Ric
09-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Maybe we'll get an actual Florida autumn. I remember them. I know they have happened before :)

Keith

Every time I make a statement about the weather, Mother Nature makes a lier out of me. But here it goes.

Around Sept 15th I notice you start to want a jacket in the early morning. By 10 o'clock you might be sweating but the over night lows a have begun to drop. Of course less day light and the winter dry season starts to happen about the same time.

Landscape Poet
09-02-2011, 10:43 PM
The last few days have been very comfortable overall. Do not get me wrong I do not think any of the guys from up north would find this to be great stuff to work in...but it sure beats the last 9 weeks or so. Only getting better I hope. I am so ready for winter to hit

wglyons
09-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Man - I couldn't agree more with all of you. July and August were brutal here in North Central Florida, but this past week was SOOO much better. The heat was definitly down, and the breeze was rolling. The grass is definitly slowing it's crazy-fast growth, so I think we're entering the slow-down...SOOO HAPPY!!!!!

Florida Gardener
09-03-2011, 12:07 AM
Man - I couldn't agree more with all of you. July and August were brutal here in North Central Florida, but this past week was SOOO much better. The heat was definitly down, and the breeze was rolling. The grass is definitly slowing it's crazy-fast growth, so I think we're entering the slow-down...SOOO HAPPY!!!!!

I can def say Bahia is slowing down already. I only have 2 accounts with Bahia, but both have slowed down almost half in growth from the past few weeks. Way earlier than last year. I was going EOW on Bahia last year 1st week of October. St. Aug is slowing down too. Not much, but a little. I have a feeling we are going to have an early and longer winter this year. IT is very welcomed.

Keith
09-03-2011, 12:17 AM
My laundry detergent usage will be down. The last couple have been one shirt days.

Plantculture
09-03-2011, 10:19 AM
It was nice enough in the afternoon to do some gardening work at my own house.

Patriot Services
09-03-2011, 10:37 AM
I went out this morning and there was an actual dry chill to the air. Won't last long but its definitely more enjoyable than last week. Cutting the Mondays today, should be done by 1.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
09-17-2011, 12:05 AM
Not a bad week. Lower humidity for the most part. temps are slightly going down as far as the lows are concerned. Predictions are that we will have a mild winter...i really hope not.