PDA

View Full Version : Can I find proof?

rywnygc
07-26-2011, 01:57 PM
I am looking to get my 3A in New York State. I held my core/RT in Indiana for over a year and from what I've read on the NY state website is that I have to show proof of at least a year. I have tried to find out how to get my old info from Indiana, but I keep hitting brick walls. I do not have my card or my old number. I held my core 06-08 I believe. Any help would be appreciated.

RigglePLC
07-26-2011, 03:08 PM
Old data in state government--good luck. Do you have canceled checks? Were you audited? Inspected? Fined? Should be records of that. Maybe that internet history site can provide a list of known applicators in Illinois from that era. Call you mother--she can get her state congressman involved. He can help.

rywnygc
07-26-2011, 03:25 PM
I just got off the phone with DEC here. My Indiana stuff wouldn't matter anyway because I only had my RT/core. I got all of the info I needed from the guy I spoke with. I will be taking the online 30 hour course ($330), order my 2 manuals for the core and 3A ($70), get registered for an exam ($100), register for my license ($200) and then do my business registration ($900 for 3 years).

Sure hope plowing is good to me this year.

JWTurfguy
07-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Welcome to New York. Yes, it's expensive to get started, and the regulations here are insane, but you'll find that the test itself is pretty easy. The core section is closed-book but the actual category exam is open-book, so you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Unfortunately, here in NY, licensing seems to be more of a tax than anything else.

So what part of NY did you move to? Depending on the county, you may need to acquaint yourself with the Neighbor-Notification law as well.

rywnygc
07-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Yeah, Im in Erie county and most of my work is south of Buffalo in the burbs. I have been reading up on all the regs for this county and state for a couple weeks now. I basically started my business to get back into fert and weed control. Don't know why, I just love doing it. I don't mind mowing or landscaping, but I'd rather let one of my other trucks handle that while I just do chemical work. Plus, Im building my company as a home exterior maintenance company, not just a lawn company. So I am implementing many other facets into the company as well.

CL&T
07-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Yeah, but without proof of employment working for someone with a 3A for at least a year I don't think they will even allow you to sit for the test. So I can't see how you can go into business.

I have kinda the same problem. I had my 3A in NY something like 18 years ago and let it expire, went on to other things. The person I worked for is dead, he paid me off the books. Now I'm thinking of getting it back. I assume I will have to take the exam all over again BUT I can't prove any experience, not that it would do me any good because NY says it has to be within the last two years or something like that.

rywnygc
07-27-2011, 07:40 PM
I spoke with a guy named Greg Davis with DEC here, and he said that the two ways to be eligible to sit for the exam are experience or education. My experience just doesn't count. As far as education, he said I can enter a horticulture program for a degree or do what NY really likes.$$$$$$

I can pay $300 and take the 30 hour course online. I could take it in front of an instructor, but he said that most instructors charge between 500 and 600 right now.

He made it absolutely clear though, that taking the 30 hours course and receiving the completion certificate, qualifies me to sit for the exam.

rywnygc
07-27-2011, 07:42 PM
oh and yeah, the experience has to be within the last five years.

He emailed me the entire packet, so if you need it, I can email it to you as well.

CL&T
07-27-2011, 08:06 PM
I can pay $300 and take the 30 hour course online. I could take it in front of an instructor, but he said that most instructors charge between 500 and 600 right now. He made it absolutely clear though, that taking the 30 hours course and receiving the completion certificate, qualifies me to sit for the exam.

That's what I did back then, I took the 30 hour course at a local community college and they had an arrangement with the DEC to hold the exam right there so I guess nothing has changed except I think the exam is at New Paltz. If we pass the exam though we still have to work for somebody for a year and I believe take a 12 hour re-certification?

rywnygc
07-27-2011, 08:39 PM
No, once you pass the exam, you pay 200 for your license. Once you have your license you can work for others, but to have your own business, you must register your business. That is the $900 for 3 years.

Before you take the exam though, I guess you need to buy the manuals for your core and whatever category you are testing for.

CL&T
07-27-2011, 09:31 PM
No, once you pass the exam, you pay 200 for your license. Once you have your license you can work for others, but to have your own business, you must register your business. That is the $900 for 3 years.

Before you take the exam though, I guess you need to buy the manuals for your core and whatever category you are testing for.

I know you can work for others but I don't know about having your own business without 1 year and a 12 hour re-cert course. I'm not sure what 1 year means in this business, has to be a season. That's not bad because when I originally started it was 3 years but at that time there was no re-certification.

You get your core and category course manuals from your local Cornell Cooperative Extension or you can have them send them to you from Ithica. I believe you will also need a current copy of their Tree and Shrub rec as well as the turf rec

rywnygc
07-27-2011, 10:22 PM
Yeah, he said that I only need the 2 manuals. One for core and the other for 3A because it covers ornamentals, shade trees and turf. The 3B is the category that only covers turf. I am going to go pick them up a couple towns down from me to save on the shipping.

Oh and this Greg Davis guy is the guy who administers the exam in my county.

Think Green
07-27-2011, 10:51 PM
rlee,
With your core certificate.......you paid for the exams......paid for the study material right?
You had these certifications for a year and you paid for the card. There should be a paper trail leading to the State official offices. I keep files on each years certification and re certification.
I guess I don't understand why you don't have such documentation on file.

rywnygc
07-27-2011, 10:56 PM
Because it was too long ago. It was from Indiana and because it was 2006. I went back into the Army shortly after that and didn't plan on getting out until I retired in 9 more years. Unfortunately I got ran over and got out a little early.

Also, the company that I was working for paid for the core exam.

I talked with greg for about an hours and he actually tried to figure out ways for me to not have to take the course.....but no luck.