PDA

View Full Version : Can you top this???

piston slapper
07-26-2011, 04:53 PM
I've been in business for 10 years or so. Before I got a regular business phone, I used my cell # as my business phone. The main business was rebuilding and repairing Kohler engines. Last saturday afternoon I was BBQ'n out back and I got a phone call. The guy on the phone was calling to complain about the exhaust valve sticking on an engine I built back in 2001. The man got 10 years commercial service out of one of my rebuilt engines, and he's calling me to complain about it ,on a saturday afternoon.

Whats wrong with this picture ? Let me see....
New Kohler engine warranty.....2 years
My rebuilt engines....90 days
10 years of service and this guys complaining? He should have been thanking me, or at least asking for instructions on how to bronze this engine, and send it to Kohlers engine factory for display.:weightlifter:

Am I the only one who has these #*&#$@ customers ?

CAN YOU TOP THIS ?

Restrorob
07-26-2011, 09:03 PM
Awww..... But SLAPPER..... Da guy only put 4.8 hrs on it in that 10 years time !!! :dizzy:

Did ya ask em what he was drink'n ? :laugh:

I'd swap ya customers any day..... Aren't nothing but back woods boa hunk dumb as a box a rocks billybobs around here !

dutch1
07-26-2011, 09:44 PM
You guys really play to a tough crowd. All you guys need is a few more years on you. When you roll over the big 70, you'll become everyone's softy.

As tough as you guys are, it's probably best I wasn't able to make my intended road trips.

Keep your powder dry.

Dutch

piston slapper
07-27-2011, 01:12 PM
I'm not a hard-hearted man...I see the hardship being poured out on this economy ,and more often than not try to help. The last time the economy was this lean, most of us werent even a glean in our fathers eyes. Lately , I see alot of descision on peoples faces when they come in to pay their bill, as if they are making choices on who's going to get paid this week. I moved my shop to an affluent area, and this is not normal. Well, maybe it is now.

That being said...All I want from my customers is to be treated with respect. After turning wrenches for over 30 years, I deserve that much.....The next moron that cries warranty, 10 years after the fact may get a quick education...Hopefully there arent that many of them out there.....JEEZ......

SAVE YOUR RECIEPT

piston slapper
07-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Awww..... But SLAPPER..... Da guy only put 4.8 hrs on it in that 10 years time !!! :dizzy:

Did ya ask em what he was drink'n ? :laugh:

I'd swap ya customers any day..... Aren't nothing but back woods boa hunk dumb as a box a rocks billybobs around here !

With that gene pool to choose from....I'm guessing you import your labor.
At least the billybobs are predictable....Put DaisyMae behind the counter, and they'll just smile and pay the bill.:walking:

Restrorob
07-27-2011, 09:52 PM
I'm guessing you import your labor.

Ha ! That's the only way we've been in business so long, Not one of us 8 are from with-in 168 miles of here....

As much as I hate to say it, But the DaisyMae's around here are just as bad as the billybobs..... And.....I'd have to put a barf can next to the counter ! :laugh:

QualityLawnCare4u
07-27-2011, 10:31 PM
Piston Slapper, he expected you to give him a lifetime warranty, do the work for free and a loaner anytime his needed repair:laugh: Once again, you can't fix stupid!

piston slapper
07-28-2011, 10:29 AM
Ha ! That's the only way we've been in business so long, Not one of us 8 are from with-in 168 miles of here....

As much as I hate to say it, But the DaisyMae's around here are just as bad as the billybobs..... And.....I'd have to put a barf can next to the counter ! :laugh:

Thats Bad....Get a cardboard cutout and stand it in the lobby:confused:

piston slapper
07-28-2011, 12:54 PM
You guys really play to a tough crowd. All you guys need is a few more years on you. When you roll over the big 70, you'll become everyone's softy.

As tough as you guys are, it's probably best I wasn't able to make my intended road trips.

Keep your powder dry.

Dutch

I dont think I'd use the word "TOUGH"...
Maybe...Competant....Confident..Composed....Professional....

Unfortunately some customers see kindness as a weakness ripe for exploiting.
Never let them see you sweat....

Dutch, It'd been good to have you stop in on your world trip, maybe next trip.
I'll save you a Lawnboy to fix...(Picked up 3 commercial 6.5 hp 2 strokers, what they were trying to cut with them in Fla, I'll never know):confused:

Restrorob
07-28-2011, 01:19 PM
Dutch, It'd been good to have you stop in on your world trip, maybe next trip.

Yeah, I agree slapper..... Hmmm, Maybe he can make another trip when it's a little cooler ! Thumbs Up

I stay sooo swamped, I haven't had a vacation in 20 yrs...... :(

ernieknows
07-28-2011, 01:39 PM
I have a customer who grows cucumber vines that end up in his lawn and does not understand why I have trouble cutting the grass under them.

Some portion of my customers will have mental health issues. Accept that they will be sometimes difficult to deal with. Give them the dignity they deserve. Find which relative or neighbor acts as their friend or assistant.

Do my best not to let them control how I feel. I too have my own quirks.

piston slapper
07-28-2011, 03:01 PM
I have a customer who grows cucumber vines that end up in his lawn and does not understand why I have trouble cutting the grass under them.

Some portion of my customers will have mental health issues. Accept that they will be sometimes difficult to deal with. Give them the dignity they deserve. Find which relative or neighbor acts as their friend or assistant.

Do my best not to let them control how I feel. I too have my own quirks.

I can understand how living north of the border may cause some issues. Its a tough mix...Cucumbers and ice sickles.....
I'm from hot humid Fla, and never could understand how anyone could live and work in a frozen wasteland 6 months out of the year....HANG IN THERE

ernieknows
07-28-2011, 06:23 PM
My point is that PITA customers may have mental health issues.
Some may lack personal interaction skills. WE all have our own issues.

how do you endure the hot humid weather? how do you dress? how do you keep hydrated and avoid heat exhaustion?

I can dress to work in the cold, which lasts 3 or 4 months.

piston slapper
07-29-2011, 10:34 AM
My point is that PITA customers may have mental health issues.
Some may lack personal interaction skills. WE all have our own issues.

how do you endure the hot humid weather? how do you dress? how do you keep hydrated and avoid heat exhaustion?

I can dress to work in the cold, which lasts 3 or 4 months.

Ernie...I think you've missed the point on this thread....

Your business ( landscaping/cutting) is the exact opposite of the repair business.
If you do your job right, they want to see you next week.
If I do my job right, they dont want to see me for a year or 2.
You go to your customers houses, My customers come to my business.
Its admirable that you try to reason and sympathize with your customers, the chances of getting paid increase dramatically. Its not an option in a repair business, They want it fixed right the first time , as inexpensively as possible. I try to be courteous and professional with my customers, but if they have personal problems, I dont want to know about it, I'm to busy tending to my own. I cant shoulder the burden for everyone with an issue.

The customer I mentioned in this thread did not have mental issues, he was being a %#&@% ! He is like a man who wins a lottery, uses up the money, and then comes back to say he didnt get enough money. I've been building engines for a good many years and have never had an engine go past 7 years, much less 10 years. I have a high opinion of my technical abilities, I've done the work, gone to the schools, apprenticed under 4 different Master Mechanics,and spent countless hours inside small engines. To rebuild a blown up engine and have it hold up for 10 years commercial duty is something that just doesnt happen very often. I'm sure not gonna let a customer throw it back at me and say...Not Good Enough.:nono:

ernieknows
07-29-2011, 12:07 PM
thank you for the thought and effort you put into your response

piston slapper
07-29-2011, 12:19 PM
thank you for the thought and effort you put into your response

No problem...

In case your were wondering how we put up with the heat and humidity...

Floridians have gills....Have you ever seen "WaterWorld":laugh:
Just kidding...not all of us have gills behind our ears and eyelids.

Good Luck...Be Patient....

piston slapper
07-30-2011, 10:40 AM
I was sure that somebody could "Top This".....

It tough being the smartest man in the room, and not having a clue.
The answers arent always in the book...Some things dont have answers....

Thanx for the input

SLAPPER

Restrorob
07-30-2011, 11:34 PM
Slapper..... Some things just can't be "Topped", No more than anyone being able to fix stupid !

dboyd351
07-31-2011, 12:45 PM
Slapper..... Some things just can't be "Topped", No more than anyone being able to fix stupid !

I agree. If anyone is more ungrateful than someone who got 10 years on a repair to a commercial engine, I don't want to hear about it.
And if Dutch and RestroRob can't top it, I think you just won the shooting match.

Threadbare702
08-09-2011, 09:16 PM
A guy from my work sells his truck to someone. The buyer doesn't have enough money so tells him he can make payments. This works for about 6 months then the guy stops making payments. Brings the truck back to the guy 5 years later and wants his money back. He put over 120k miles on the truck and it was falling apart. Since he is such a nice guy he gives him the money back and takes the truck.

dboyd351
08-09-2011, 10:06 PM
Since he is such a nice guy he gives him the money back and takes the truck.

What was that about "you can't fix stupid?"

larryinalabama
08-09-2011, 10:23 PM
What was that about "you can't fix stupid?"

shoots darwins thery all to heck

piston slapper
08-10-2011, 10:16 AM
A guy from my work sells his truck to someone. The buyer doesn't have enough money so tells him he can make payments. This works for about 6 months then the guy stops making payments. Brings the truck back to the guy 5 years later and wants his money back. He put over 120k miles on the truck and it was falling apart. Since he is such a nice guy he gives him the money back and takes the truck.

If your friend was running our banking system, the economy would turn around in less than a week.:laugh: