PDA

View Full Version : Greatest payload in OLD/USED medium duty truck upto 26,000 lbs, considering cabovers?

porge
07-26-2011, 06:17 PM
I am looking at buying a used medium duty truck, probably 95-2000 year or even older, for occasional use when the f450 just won't cut it.

UNDER CDL / 26,000, but it could be upto a 33,000 truck I guess and I would be able to derate it.

I will put a 14 or 16 ft bed on it, simple flatbed non dumping, with a boom for loading logs. I wouldn't expect to find a used truck set up how I want it, so will buy cab/chassis, flatbed, or box truck and do the work myself. Do not plan to pull trailers with this truck.

I would actually PREFER a cabover, my needs are probably different than yours, I don't mind going 35 mph up the hills, I would prefer best possible mpg, but the biggest concern is greatest possible legal payload, therefore I think cabovers fit the bill best as the seem to be generally lighter than most of the standard cab type trucks. I have been doing research and this information (scale weight) seems to be hard to find for older trucks.

As far as cabovers go, I have driven Nissan UD 1800hd, and liked it. I have driven Isuzu NPR, but none of their larger offerings. Also considering Hino, but they are very rare (used).

I would also consider an International with the dt466, or even fl 60 /70, non cabover. Looking for single axle.

I see a lot of the towing companies that are running cabovers use the nissan UD1800, and that could be a good sign.

Any other recommendations? I have heard bad things about Volvo (repair costs, but would consider them.

Anything else I should be looking at? Can anyone help get me headed in the right direction or comment about payload of trucks you have used in the past, or larger cabovers in the 18000 - 27500 lb range?

Thanks so much!

ecurbthims
07-26-2011, 09:03 PM
theres no isuzu's around here ,but I have worked on and owned pretty much all the other trucks on your list and pretty much any of them would be a good truck for you .The foreign trucks run forever ,but they often dont have common parts with north american trucks ,so the truck becomes only as good as your local dealerships parts department .Waiting sometimes 3 months [extreme but it has happened to me more than once] for parts to arrive from overseas effectively kills your use of the truck .Aftermarket parts are virtually non-exhistant for these trucks .
The International is the most common truck your looking at ,forever they have owned 55% of the 5 ton market in North America ,that means every repair shop is used to fixing them ,uncommon parts are more readily available ,and you can go to any traction ,heavy duty america ,or whatever is nearby and pick up probably 70% of the components for your truck in stock or next day delivery .Pretty much all north american trucks [mack is an exception,but they are getting better ] use common brake ,steering,suspension,engines ,transmissions ,axles and other driveline components .