PDA

View Full Version : Man hours to install rock mulch

WenzelOSLLC
07-26-2011, 09:17 PM
I tried searching for this but apparently my keywords aren't right because I'm sure this has been asked and answered.

I have a customer who wants a bed put in that would have 2" Pink Quartz as a mulch. It's several tons of rock and I've never installed a bed with this much rock.

I was wondering how long it would take to move one ton of rock by wheelbarrow to where I need it. Its only about one hundred feet from where I would dump it to where it needs to be. I would just pull the truck and trailer up to it and dump but that's not an option.

I know how long it takes me to move wood mulch but I'm not sure if moving the rock will take quite a bit longer (hours) or just a little bit (hour or less).

Stillwater
07-27-2011, 12:32 AM
20% / 25% longer labor

GreenI.A.
07-27-2011, 12:55 AM
20% / 25% longer labor

I would say much longer than that as it sounds s if you will be doing it solo. Figure you can fill a wheel barrow with much and esily push that around. Now fill that wheel barrow with rock and it will weight a **** load more as cubic foot of rock weighs more than a cubic foot of mulch. So compared to mulch you'll probalby end up making 2x as many trips from the truck to plantings as you would with the same yards of mulch. Then you'll be making more trips over he 100' so you'll end up getting tired quicker and start slowing down

DIXIECONTRACTING
07-27-2011, 11:43 AM
I would use my Toro Dingo to move the stone and spread by hand will take longer than mulch so charge accordingly.

Lawnut101
07-27-2011, 02:20 PM
I usually figure at least 1.5 hrs. / yard to spread. Prepwork is not included in that.

JDiepstra
07-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Id guess almost double the time. If you do not have a wheelbarrow with two front tires, do yourself a massive favor and get one before this job. It will cut your time and effort greatly.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fordsuvparts
07-27-2011, 02:38 PM
I would use my Toro Dingo to move the stone and spread by hand will take longer than mulch so charge accordingly.

I agree, we use our Tx425 on just about any mulching or pea gravel job, they replace 2-3 guys on a big job. You can rent one for a fairly reasonable rate at most rental places, they are worth there weight in gold.

M & MD Lawn
07-27-2011, 03:20 PM
I agree, we use our Tx425 on just about any mulching or pea gravel job, they replace 2-3 guys on a big job. You can rent one for a fairly reasonable rate at most rental places, they are worth there weight in gold.

I usually rent, around here the dingo u can rent for about 190.00 a day, get it on a friday and sunday is free. Or i have rented a skid steer too, that was more for the fun though lol. I would definetly say rent something, dont kill urself voer a job.

White Gardens
07-28-2011, 12:10 AM
It can take me anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours to unload 3.5 tons of rock out of my truck, into a wheelbarrow, and to where it needs to be.

I never use my mini skid on rock installs as I don't want to tear my fabric or rut up the grade in any way.

WenzelOSLLC
07-29-2011, 12:07 AM
JD, I purchased a dual wheelbarrow a long time ago because it makes life so much easier. I had planned to have a helper do some wheelbarrow work so I can go pick up more loads of rock.

I Was also thinking about renting a Dingo, I'm a big fan of it. Makes quick work of most projects.

Was just curious as to what people thought. I think I'll go with the Dingo. Thanks.

DIXIECONTRACTING
07-29-2011, 09:16 AM
As i said before if you are moving a large amount of rock or stone a Dingo or similar machine can't be beat. Good luck

White Gardens
07-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Here's my deal with the mini skids and rock installation.

They can tear up the landscaping and sod during the rock install. I like to not damage the turf or any hard work on the bed grade and fabric when installing the rock.

Really, the best option I would think is a muck truck or any other powered wheel-barrow.

DIXIECONTRACTING
07-29-2011, 09:50 AM
Here's my deal with the mini skids and rock installation.

They can tear up the landscaping and sod during the rock install. I like to not damage the turf or any hard work on the bed grade and fabric when installing the rock.

Really, the best option I would think is a muck truck or any other powered wheel-barrow.

Maybe you never used a mini skid I own a Dingo 425 and have never tore up a lawn. After work is complete I pass my backpack over the work area and you would never know I was there. As with any tracked machine you can't make sharp turns on grass if you need to turn sharp you make a multiple point turn and no problems.

White Gardens
07-29-2011, 02:47 PM
Maybe you never used a mini skid I own a Dingo 425 and have never tore up a lawn. After work is complete I pass my backpack over the work area and you would never know I was there. As with any tracked machine you can't make sharp turns on grass if you need to turn sharp you make a multiple point turn and no problems.

I own one.

Keep in mind I'm a Gardner first and dirt worker second. The thing I hate the most about any machine is compacting any area you drive on. Then it takes years for that compaction to relieve itself.

If I have a major install and tear out I will utilize my mini, but it's not a time saver in my eyes to install rock mulch with it. It's just as easy to get the wheelbarrow loaded and unloaded in the right places. It's a hassle in my eyes to take the time to load the mini bucket, drive it where it needs to be and then having to shovel it where you want it. I'd rather just take a rake and spread it out.

Besides, how many landscape beds aren't already full of plants and such, so you can only go so far with the mini.

Mark Oomkes
07-29-2011, 02:50 PM
I own one.

Keep in mind I'm a Gardner first and dirt worker second. The thing I hate the most about any machine is compacting any area you drive on. Then it takes years for that compaction to relieve itself.

If I have a major install and tear out I will utilize my mini, but it's not a time saver in my eyes to install rock mulch with it. It's just as easy to get the wheelbarrow loaded and unloaded in the right places. It's a hassle in my eyes to take the time to load the mini bucket, drive it where it needs to be and then having to shovel it where you want it. I'd rather just take a rake and spread it out.

Besides, how many landscape beds aren't already full of plants and such, so you can only go so far with the mini.

Plywood and aeration......

Fordsuvparts
07-29-2011, 03:16 PM

Exactly how we do it as well. We also have a big stack of 2x12's we use as well.

White Gardens
07-29-2011, 06:22 PM

Again, more work than just shoveling off the rock into wheelbarrows.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
08-07-2011, 01:20 AM
Exactly how we do it as well. We also have a big stack of 2x12's we use as well.same here I do Its faster then pushing 3+ton of rock now its 1.5 tons I'll push it
Evening a wheelbarrel will damage the lawn if its soft push say 6 wheelbarrels per ton and have 6 ton to push there be lot little ruts

Been doing lots redo installs and the ground is hard as rock and can t even tell ran my skidloader in the lawn

sealcutter
08-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Not sure you can do it but I like to work out of the truck, off load into your cart and drop it in the bed. I do this with mulch and rock, the only time I drop it is when we use a loader.